Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Our '83 is finally "Weberized"!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up Our '83 is finally "Weberized"!!

I've had the Weber kit from LCE for several weeks, just waiting for some warmer weather. Yesterday was the day! After about 5.5 hours, the truck has been de-smogged and the Weber installed. Pulled off maybe 100 pounds of smog junk that obviously didn't work well, if at all. Lots of the little plastic stuff just broke when I tried to pull the vacuum hoses off 'cuz they were so brittle from age. The Aisin carb must have been really messed up, as gas poured out from every hose that was connected to the carb as I removed them, and there were a bunch of those. I also fixed an exhaust leak at the smog pump injection port (smog pump now gone too), and the breather on the valve cover no longer leaks. I removed and plugged most of the old sensors, and after removing all the smog junk, the engine compartment is much cleaner & open. I kept one of the charcoal cannisters, but removed the 2nd one that was under the battery.

The Weber install went smoothly, but LCE really needs to improve/update their installation instructions. I had a couple of minor parts left over that had no place to go (?), and while some of the "required" changes were pretty obvious, they weren't mentioned in the instructions at all. Everything went together perfectly though, and the truck fired up instantly when I was finished with the install (plenty of gas/fumes still in the intake manifold from the Aisin). I had installed the fuel pressure gauge and quickly adjusted the pressure regulator to about 2.7 pounds of pressure. Then I removed the pressure gauge, as I don't expect the pressure to change. Since I live at almost 5000 ft elevation, I think I will work on re-jetting the Weber soon to compensate for the elevation. The manual choke works fine.

All-in-all, a very successful day's work. The truck starts & runs MUCH better than it did. It now idles smoothly too, with no more black smoke from running rich. The improved power was immediately obvious when I took a short test drive. Lastly, it's also much quieter--likely due to the repaired exhaust leak. Photos of: before, after, and the box of junk.
Attached Thumbnails Our '83 is finally "Weberized"!!-web-1.jpg   Our '83 is finally "Weberized"!!-web-7.jpg   Our '83 is finally "Weberized"!!-web-8.jpg   Our '83 is finally "Weberized"!!-web-9.jpg  

Last edited by rickc5; 03-22-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Great!

And that's the problem with Aisin carbs. Not that they aren't superior, but that they old, and built to run with all kinds of valves and connections that are old and failing.

The Weber is not as high quality as the Aisin, but with regular tuning your truck ought to keep running much better with it.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work, nice truck and thanks for the write up. I have read a lot of threads on the differences between the Weber and the Aisin over the years. When I purchased my 1980, the carb needed a lot of attention and I debated putting a Weber in it. I ended up finding a guy locally that has rebuilt several Aisin carbs and did a good job for me, truck runs well. My next step is to look at all the smog equipment. I probably won't touch it though because the truck just runs to good right now.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be cool to see some before and afters.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 95yoda
It would be cool to see some before and afters.
Just added some to the original post.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nicely done and good for you.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rickc5
I had installed the fuel pressure gauge and quickly adjusted the pressure regulator to about 2.7 pounds of pressure. Then I removed the pressure gauge, as I don't expect the pressure to change. Since I live at almost 5000 ft elevation, I think I will work on re-jetting the Weber soon to compensate for the elevation.
Very good looking install. Good choice of filter size too. More air to breathe is always a good thing.

I strongly suggest a fuel pressure regulator. At higher rpms you might get pressures over the recommended 3.0 psi.

When I raced up in CO the 32/36 needed to be rejetted from where I usually raced at roughly 1k ft.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:45 PM

It has a fuel pressure regulator--came with the kit from LCE. In the R/H "after" photo, it's just in front of & below the carb--below the thermostat housing--kind of a silver/grey color & round, about 3" in diameter. The gas line runs from it directly into the carb. I only removed the pressure gauge after I had adjusted the regulator to 2.7 lbs of pressure.

Last edited by rickc5; 03-22-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only problem I had with my Weber was the filter, it was the tall rectangular factory and after a few weeks it would twist..drove me nuts! Replaced it with a shorter filter which stopped the twisting and looks better. I was looking for one here locally but that wasn't happening!

Last edited by itsivxx; 05-10-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
[QUOTE=rickc5;52394004]
The Weber install went smoothly, but LCE really needs to improve/update their installation instructions. I had a couple of minor parts left over that had no place to go (?), and while some of the "required" changes were pretty obvious, they weren't mentioned in the instructions at all. Everything went together perfectly though, and the truck fired up instantly when I was finished with the install (plenty of gas/fumes still in the intake manifold from the Aisin). I had installed the fuel pressure gauge and quickly adjusted the pressure regulator to about 2.7 pounds of pressure. Then I removed the pressure gauge, as I don't expect the pressure to change. Since I live at almost 5000 ft elevation, I think I will work on re-jetting the Weber soon to compensate for the elevation. The manual choke works fine.

All-in-all, a very successful day's work. The truck starts & runs MUCH better than it did. It now idles smoothly too, with no more black smoke from running rich. The improved power was immediately obvious when I took a short test drive. Lastly, it's also much quieter--likely due to the repaired exhaust leak. Photos of: before, after, and the box of junk.[/QUOTE

and while some of the "required" changes were pretty obvious Like what?
Is that the K&N filter?
Have you re-jetted yet? I'm at 5555 so interested in what you come up with
Old 05-27-2018, 08:56 PM

Impressed on the engine bay...looks nice, not many people expect to see that under the hood of 1st Gen, as I have surprised many parts store employees. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:31 AM

A combo of laziness, other projects and yard work has been consuming my time. I have NOT yet re-jetted the Weber, but intend to do so in the near future--maybe this coming week (?). I have the high-altitude jet kit (from LCE) and a pile of instructions, guides and photos to work from. Just need to find the time and motivation.

Yep, that's the K&N filter from LCE. It fit perfectly, and looks great. Workmanship is fantastic--all milled aluminum. Expensive, but seems worth it.

Regarding the required, yet obvious changes: So, this bag of parts came with the Weber and contained a new "bell crank" (don't know the official name) that had to be installed. This is part of the throttle linkage and required removing the factory bell crank that came on the carb and installing the new one. Obvious, but not mentioned anywhere. Lots of various nuts and bolts in the bag too, but you sort of need to figure out which ones go where, as that's not mentioned either. Again, not difficult, just takes a few minutes. I'm thinking that since this Weber may be used on newer 22R engines, perhaps some of those extra parts I mentioned might be used on those engines. Don't know--just guessing.

Still very happy with how the engine runs with the weber on it. Will post any changes/results after the re-jetting. Stay tuned.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice job. BTW, don't throw all that smog stuff in the trash - the California trucks need it periodically. I just sold most of mine.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by toy_tek
Nice job. BTW, don't throw all that smog stuff in the trash - the California trucks need it periodically. I just sold most of mine.
This is why I'm glad I live here in Oregon...no smog checks. I lived in Palm Springs Ca for 12 years, left and never looked back!
Old 05-29-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by itsivxx
This is why I'm glad I live here in Oregon...no smog checks. I lived in Palm Springs Ca for 12 years, left and never looked back!
It depends on where in Oregon you live. In the Portland Metro area, you still have to get DEQ testing done every two years. It doesn't bother me though. Cleaner air and knowing that my emissions are not off the charts (which would indicate something is wrong with the engine), in my opinion is a good thing.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by toy_tek
I kept all that smog stuff, even though I have serious doubts about how well it functioned--if at all. I figure that a new owner (someday) may live where it's needed and will have to re-install some or all of it. I guarantee the truck would have failed any smog inspection when I first bought it. It runs so much better now.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by rickc5
I kept all that smog stuff, even though I have serious doubts about how well it functioned--if at all. I figure that a new owner (someday) may live where it's needed and will have to re-install some or all of it. I guarantee the truck would have failed any smog inspection when I first bought it. It runs so much better now.
and looks better
Old 05-30-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Since you live in Colorado it's a good idea to keep all the smog junk in case you ever do sell. It helped the guy I bought mine from since we both live in an area where emissions testing is required and you can be held liable if a vehicle you sell doesn't pass emissions. If I hadn't had all of the old smog equipment that he had taken off I'd have had a nearly impossible time passing emissions.
I use the smog parts (specifically air injection) mostly just to pass the visual inspection side of the emissions test. Then tune the Weber down with the smallest jets I have and retard the timing to about 5 degrees TDC with the vacuum ports hooked up. I also run a catalytic converter. My '81 22R is bored .020 over, has a Crawler camshaft, headers, and all of the EGR ports blocked off and it passes.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Congratulations!!! The Weber makes life so much easier and working on these trucks. Once you get everything set, a couple of pumps of the throttle and the truck will fire up fast, usually with one or two revolutions of the motor.