Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1980 4x4 pickup Wheel cylender

Old 05-18-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 4x4 pickup Wheel cylender

I have taken the bolts bleeder valve, and brake line off the back but there not enough space between the axle disk and the plate the wheel cylinder is bolted to to get it out. and I can't find any information about what direction that frond disk spins to remove it or if it can be removed. if it can't it looks like I have to beat the shaft out. any one know if that front plate unscrews and if so what direction?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that disk separates from the rest of the axle, but I never tried. I had my axles out to replace the seals several years ago but don't remember what you have to do to release them.

Ah I just saw your reply in a different thread that you got it fixed, good job!
Old 05-29-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It does not separate from the plate unless you take the clip of the back and press it off a full sized press and special tool are need to do it properly. As for your issue with the cylinder it does come out you have to rock it or move it at a special angle mine came out easy and was a pain to get in you just have to find the sweet spot.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr600f31997
It does not separate from the plate unless you take the clip of the back and press it off a full sized press and special tool are need to do it properly. As for your issue with the cylinder it does come out you have to rock it or move it at a special angle mine came out easy and was a pain to get in you just have to find the sweet spot.
This is correct, the backing plate only comes off with the C clip removed and the axle shaft pressed out of the bearing pocket. Last time I did a wheel cylinder on my original first gen axle, it cleared easily between the backing plate and wheel mounting surface. This may be the wrong wheel cylinder altogether, crammed in to fit. if you are comfortable using a cutoff wheel with an angle grinder, that might let you slice some of the cylinder to clear the backing plate.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr600f31997
<br /><br />This is correct, the backing plate only comes off with the C clip removed and the axle shaft pressed out of the bearing pocket. Last time I did a wheel cylinder on my original first gen axle, it cleared easily between the backing plate and wheel mounting surface. This may be the wrong wheel cylinder altogether, crammed in to fit. if you are comfortable using a cutoff wheel with an angle grinder, that might let you slice some of the cylinder to clear the backing plate.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That wheel cylinder is probably for a 86 and up truck (larger brakes all together). I have seen mismatched parts before. They should come out easily once bolts are removed. Take off the other side and look at that wheel cylinder. There is usually a ton of slop in the rear axle bearing as the truck gets older. Pull the 4 bolts holding the backing plate/axle assembly to the axle housing. pop the axle out, grab the backing plate and rock it, the wheel cylinder should fall right out.

If this all works out, that axle bearing is shot. Replace axle bearings, install new wheel cylinders and brakes.