Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1982 Pickup stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 Pickup stalling problem

I have an '82 Toyota Pickup 4WD with a 22R. The problem is that the engine stalls at very random times. When the problem occurs, I can be coming up to a stop light, push in the clutch pedal, and it will immediately stall. It will start up again with no trouble and then quickly stall out. I can force it to idle by keeping the RPMs up with the gas pedal, but as soon as I take the load off of the engine, it will stall out. At this point, I get really frustrated and may or may not be cursing at the truck, and it will magically resolve it self and run fine. Then minutes later, it will begin stalling again. Any ideas on what could be wrong would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
When you figure it out let me know!!
Search around here, the answers are all there. Fuel cut solenoid is a popular one lately...that's what I'm working on right now to see if it fixes this same problem for me.

Last edited by 83; 04-25-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Well, I guess it is good that I am not the only one. I disconnected the vacuum line that makes the EGR go. For some reason, my truck seems to run a little better, but it didn't fix my problem. I am messing around with the VSV and seeing if maybe that is making the fuel shut off. If I figure it out I will be sure to report in.

***********************Update********************* ******

I can now officially count the VSV out. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Last edited by CactusAirforceF6F; 04-25-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:22 AM

That's the problem with the stock emissions systems on these trucks. They run great when everything is working properly, but once things start getting plugged up, they run like crap. Your egr is probably clogged with carbon. You should pull the actual egr valve and make sure it isn't stuck open. I plugged off all the vacuum hoses going to my egr, but I know that my valve moves, and that it's closed right now since no vacuum can get to it. But if yours is stuck open, that could cause stalling.

I would still look into the fuel cut solenoid though. Do a search on it, you'll find the same info I was just using to trouble shoot my truck this weekend.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 PM

I already intended to get rid of the EGR and I am sure you are right. It is more than likely old and clogged up. My newest problem was I decided to start taking things off and inspecting them. This lead to the fuel pump and the spacer for it broke, so now it is dead-on-axles until toyota gets the spacer in stock. When that comes in, I will attempt to get back to work on it. If you don't mind my asking, what does a Fuel Cut Solenoid cost?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:17 AM

I haven't priced one yet. Easy enough by calling Toyota. If you search the threads on it, you'll see that it's just as often a ground problem, not a problem with the solenoid itself.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM

Well, my solenoid is good. I tested it and wired it separately to the accessories. Still the same story. When it stalled, it pumped out a bunch of black smoke when I restarted it. Now, this leads me to think that it is getting too much fuel. The only thing I know for sure is that this is driving me crazy!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Yeah sounds like you're flooding. I don't know carbs too well so I won't give much advice here. But it could just be time for a carb rebuild.

After wiring the negative wire on my solenoid to the negative battery terminal, I haven't stalled in a couple days...so I think it was my problem.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:00 AM

Well, I'm glad to hear you got your rig working. What I am starting to notice is that quite a few people on the web have similar symptoms, but completely different problems!!

One thing I don't understand is that the guy I bought the truck from just put a new Aisin carburetor on it. I guess I will play around with the float level and see what happens.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 AM

My Aisin was rebuilt almost exactly one year ago, and had this problem almost from the start. That's because they typically don't replace the electric choke or the fuel cut solenoid when they do a rebuild.

There is also the camp that believes that once the Aisin carb starts going, it's time to get rid of it and get a Weber. They believe that it works great until...it stops working great, then no matter what you do to it - tune it, rebuild it, whatever - it just never works right again. I think if you really know what you're doing you can get these carbs running great, but for me...I'm probably going to go with a Weber before too long. There are too many components with the emissions system that can be malfunctioning and causing a perfectly good carb to run crappy, and those compenents are time consuming to troubleshoot, and often expensive to replace, IF you can even find them. I found that Toyota and aftermarket sources don't carry some of the parts I would need to get my carb running properly. A Weber gets rid of all this stuff. But you want to make sure it's your carb or emissions system before spending money like that...

I've got an almost completely rebuilt truck (engine/carb/tranny etc.), and I'm only getting about 18mpg highway, 12 in town. My brakes aren't dragging, bearings are good...done all the tuneup stuff. It's most likely my carb/emissions system. That's why I'm going to go with a Weber soon.

Good luck!

Last edited by 83; 04-28-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:35 AM

Man, I should have listened to you from the beginning! I ended up doing a lot of things to my truck to try and get it going... A lot! None of it fixed the problem, but it did make it more reliable! I ran power off of the accessories to the fuel cut solenoid and grounded it directly to the battery. Works like a charm! I even did some four wheeling this weekend and it was 100% reliable. Thanks so much for your help!

As far as the weber. It has been a dream of mine to pull off all of the emissions garbage that I can and throw a weber on it. The only thing that concerns me is that Pima County (one of the two counties in AZ where emissions testing is mandatory). So, I am worried that it may not pass emissions with all of that stuff off. I guess I will have to do some research on what others have done in my area. It sounds like if your fuel mileage is that low, a Weber is the next logical step for you!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 AM

Hey, great! I just did what others told me on this site, so thank them! It's a great resource to have all these people. Between everyone on this site, we've ran into almost every variation of anything that can go wrong with a Toyota, so there's just a ton of knowledge here between everyone.

Glad you got if fixed.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by CactusAirforceF6F

As far as the weber. It has been a dream of mine to pull off all of the emissions garbage that I can and throw a weber on it. The only thing that concerns me is that Pima County (one of the two counties in AZ where emissions testing is mandatory). So, I am worried that it may not pass emissions with all of that stuff off. I guess I will have to do some research on what others have done in my area. It sounds like if your fuel mileage is that low, a Weber is the next logical step for you!
Don't do it man! I'm in tucson and I bought the same pickup you have that already had all the emissions garbage taken out and it failed emissions simply for not having the equipment. I got the parts and slapped em in there so it passed eventually but if you want that pickup to be your dd in Pima county definitely don't get rid of that emissions stuff.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
FYI, 4 year old thread...
Old 02-20-2014, 03:02 PM

Woops my bad didn't even look at the date haha