Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1981 Chinook - Opening a can of worms...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phildelfino
You could have bought a small tool kit and rebuilt that thing yourself by now.
Not without getting TONS of St. Bernard hair on the rebuild...

My lack of space is just not condusive to doing a "big" job like that...

And outside is kinda of not an option either..

You are right though... If my dad was about to hang, I would have fixed it with a swiss army knife and gone to save him...

but there's no fire..

I wanna do this right so I can enjoy the truck...

I like your little Chinook. Wish I could find one with 4X4.
I am totally in LOVE with it...

I even considered swaping the Chinnok onto a T-100...

And I may...

But if I go bigger I want the MIRAGE... with the HUGE swing door in the back..lol.. you can load a motorcycle in there...

FOTOS DA NET...

I guess Subaru Dave didn't work out.
You know sometimes you get that "feeling"..

I decided to trust mine...

Everyone I asked said positive things about the shop...

but when I met the guy.. looked him in the ye and shook his hand...

I just got one of those feelings... so I walked away...

Probably a dumb thing to do... but oh well..lol...

Keep us posted.

You betcha...!!!

Eventually, I would like to make my truck look like this one.. I love the paint job..

Old 09-15-2009, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
I still want to take one of those chinnoks and slap it on an 89-95 extra cab front/chassis...
I did think of that.. well not exactly... but I would love to have a diesel so much that if I could afford it, i would buy another truck (lil' bigger is ok) and swap the chinook onto it..

But this.. or the diesel conversion on my truck.. seem so much more complicated and hassle prone than just slapping another 22r in there... that I just stop and wonder of I am delusional...lol..
Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by mytrkisburt
If you're gonna stick with the 22R you should definitely do it yourself if you have the tools and an alternate ride for a couple weeks while you're doing the work. Its loads of fun and really easy, especially if you're getting a crate engine.

Awesome rig man, be sure to post pics when you get to work on it!
It's just not feasible for me to do the work...

I am in the middle of multiple surgeries on a bum leg... and I have no space...

Don't think I should do it outdoors... especially this late in the season... I am surprised it hasn't snowed her yet...

and my house is completely dominated by hair from a 160 pound St Bernard... It's his house and HIS truck too...

I just get to drive him around in it...lol...

If I had a covered shop... a hoist... adequate tools... and no crutches... I would look at it different..

No.. someone will be getting paid the big bucks to do it...

I just hope to find an honest mechanic that can give me a fair deal...

Do you guys think I could redo the engine, tranny and differentials (at a shop) under $5K...?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

I think you might find the T100 chassis a little too different to the original and the cab might sit a little too wide for the chinnok body [you'd have to cut so much meat out of the front of it to get it to fit that it might become weak].

That Mirage looks interesting I've never seen one of them before. It looks like the over cab bunk would actually be usable and with the greater length might even be a better fit for the xtra cab.

I like that line... it's the dog's truck/house and he lets you use it..." reminds me of the house dog here... she sits in my easy chair and will not vacate it... she sleeps on my bed and hogs it [I've actually been pushed out at night] (I fell out one night when she stretched and then she looks over the side as if to say "hey where'd you go?")... they can be a PITA but we still love them right?...

IDK any shops or prices up there in AK but I don't see why you could'nt find someone to do it for you. The biggest hassle for you will be getting the parts...
plenty of places in the lower 48 but getting them shipped up would be the hard part.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you should rebuild the original engine, or just get a crate engine.

It sounds like in your situation you don't have the time, or the space to do it. So there is no sense in taking on a project like an engine conversion. Whatever time frame you think you can get it done in will generally take twice as long if not more.

Just stick with the easiest option for now. When you have another vehicle to drive, and a shop to work in, you can swap in whatever you want at your own pace. Then you can sell the 22R and make a little money for the "new" engine.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rusker
I think you should rebuild the original engine, or just get a crate engine.

It sounds like in your situation you don't have the time, or the space to do it. So there is no sense in taking on a project like an engine conversion. Whatever time frame you think you can get it done in will generally take twice as long if not more.

Just stick with the easiest option for now. When you have another vehicle to drive, and a shop to work in, you can swap in whatever you want at your own pace. Then you can sell the 22R and make a little money for the "new" engine.

As much as I wuld LOVE to have a diesel in it right away..

I must admit I like the way you think...

You must be a very practical person...

Thanks for the wise words...
Old 09-15-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
I think you might find the T100 chassis a little too different to the original and the cab might sit a little too wide for the chinnok body [you'd have to cut so much meat out of the front of it to get it to fit that it might become weak].
Gotcha!

Scratch that..
That Mirage looks interesting I've never seen one of them before. It looks like the over cab bunk would actually be usable and with the greater length might even be a better fit for the xtra cab.
I gotta say i like little engines at the gas pump...
I like that line... it's the dog's truck/house and he lets you use it..." reminds me of the house dog here... she sits in my easy chair and will not vacate it... she sleeps on my bed and hogs it [I've actually been pushed out at night] (I fell out one night when she stretched and then she looks over the side as if to say "hey where'd you go?")... they can be a PITA but we still love them right?...
Oh I have NO CHOICE...lol..

He totally OWNS ME!!!

[/quote]IDK any shops or prices up there in AK but I don't see why you could'nt find someone to do it for you. The biggest hassle for you will be getting the parts...
plenty of places in the lower 48 but getting them shipped up would be the hard part.[/quote]

There are enough yota trucks around that people stock MOST parts...

If I had to go with a CRATE ENGINE... who would you guys recommend on th west coast to buy a complete engine...? accessories and all...
Attached Thumbnails 1981 Chinook - Opening a can of worms...-picture-311.png   1981 Chinook - Opening a can of worms...-picture-312.png  
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AK Chinook

If I had to go with a CRATE ENGINE... who would you guys recommend on th west coast to buy a complete engine...? accessories and all...
http://oregonengines.net/

Haven't worked with them personally but I've spoken with them about getting an engine and they were very helpful. I found them through this site.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rusker
http://oregonengines.net/

Haven't worked with them personally but I've spoken with them about getting an engine and they were very helpful. I found them through this site.

Well, Oregon Engines it is...

I have e-mailed and spoken with them on the phone, and I am CONFIDENT they have my best interest in mind...

They also recommended a local mechanic, who is coming to look at the truck on Sunday...

If all goes well, work should start this week....

I will pop in as much as I can and try to take as many pics as possible...

But I will keep you guys updated on the work as well as the truck and the trips we take... if the dog is cool with it...lol...
Old 09-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

I'm sure he'll be down with it as long as he's in most of the pics too... St. Bernards are real divas...
Old 11-24-2009, 01:27 PM

Is this thing up and running yet? I remember reading this a few months ago and he never updated it
Old 12-18-2009, 06:54 PM

That thing is so sweet good luck on the build!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Heck ya man, that thing is sweet Thinking of putting one of them camper shells on my 81. Did you get it that way or install it yer self? Hopeing the frame mounts are the same on a 81 4x and a 76 2x
Old 03-10-2012, 03:39 PM
wf

Ya, go with the 22r engine. They last for forever.

I assume at some point, someone switched the cab over from the original chinook cab with the 20r engine to the 4wheel drive cab, right? It looks like a different cab then mine, or other 76-78 chinooks. or maybe that's one of the ones from europe with a hilux cab?? Do you know the history of it?

I didn't know they made them until 1981. I thought they stopped around 78.

Last edited by wf; 03-10-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:05 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Get this thing running. Then when you have time and money, drive down to washington and the guys down here will help you swap in a 3rz. You'd get some power and a little better gas mileage out of it. They bolt in and the only thing that would take some time is reworking the fuel lines, moving the exhaust over and a few wires.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:52 PM

i want.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 AM

I just got a 76 chinook project been lucky so far runs great and not too bad shape overall.
Good luck
Old 07-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Hey dude i love ur truck. I treasure my 81 and 82 toy 4x4's best dad toys ever made i think. Toyota prospector aka george- ga
Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 PM

You know i had all these plans for the truck, now i dont have time its a 76 wih alot of problems and alot of potential. I am selling it at this time, ive been driving it for about a year now and its been good to me. But ive lost interest in my restoration, so he wife says its got to go.