Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Web hosting/mail server query

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Web hosting/mail server query

Folks,

I have been maintaining several web sites over the years for various community bands I play in. When I hosted everything on a server in my apartment, I could do everything I wanted (see below). Now I'm on commercial servers (Godaddy) and I can't seem to get where I want.

I could get a lot of the missing pieces using yahoogroups for the email lists and workgroup features, but that is a total pain, and doesn't give the impression of a single site.

It seems like it ought to be simple, but there are so dang many providers out there that I can't even figure out where to start looking.

Does anyone know of a provider or a mix of services that would provide the following:

Technical Requirements for community band site

Web Site Capabilities
  • Static content, traditional FTP access accessible.
  • Secure (static) area for board members
Workgroup Capabilities
  • Secure file upload/download area accessible to fixed list of users (specifically those on the “board” list below). Can be handled through a single user/pass interface if that is necessary.
  • Calendar capabilities (strictly "nice to have")
Mail Capabilities
Obviously, I don't want to pay a fortune, but I can afford a reasonable amount; I very much prefer to avoid "ad-sponsored" components to the solution.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:52 AM

Most likely you'll have to shop around until you find the best company. Have you tried 1&1?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered IpowerWeb? 7 bucks a month isn't too bad for the amount of space you get and the services.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:43 AM

I'm using www.ixwebhosting.com. I've been very happy with it and they have alot of the tools you are looking for.

EDIT: Here's a link to their control panel demo: http://cp.ixwebhosting.com/psoft/ser...olinux/6133_0/
Old 08-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I think my web hosting service does all the above:
http://www.amhosting.com/
Old 08-12-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll get as many different answers from folks here as there are folks here. I'd bet that everyone has a different provider.

fwiw, I'm on Dimension Servers and they'll cover everything you want.

The best thing to do may be to head to Web Hosting Talk and wander the forums. The purpose of that site is to talk about hosts, good & bad.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
scottiac,

two of the members here work for a webhosting company. contact vegaskurt and see what he can do for you

bob
Old 08-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

The thing I'm *not* seeing on any of these is the mail lists. I've got a great host, with scripting, Windows or Unix hosts, all that. But I can't create email "announcement" lists or discussion groups that are on my domain name without either breaking the bank (many hundreds per year), or going with yahoogroups.

Am I missing something really easy here?
Old 08-13-2006, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My hosting company has Mailman installed and I forget the max. number of lists I can have. Here is the listing of the mail manager menu screen:

Mail Manager Main Menu
Web Mail
Email Domain Forwarding
Manage/Add/Remove Accounts
Default Address
Auto-responders
E-mail Filtering
Forwarders
Mailing Lists
SpamAssassin
BoxTrapper Spam Trap
Trace an E-mail Address
Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry)
Old 08-13-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
My hosting company has Mailman installed and I forget the max. number of lists I can have.
Yeup, mine has mailman as well.
http://dimensionservers.com/dimensio...ebhosting.html
  • Dimension Plus Key Features
    5,000 mb of disk space
    10,000 mb Monthly Bandwidth
    1 Private Dedicated IP Address
    12 MySQL Databases
    6 Add-On Domains (up to)
    Unlimited POP3 Email Accounts
    Unlimited FTP Accounts
    Fantastico Deluxe Installer
    Free Same-Day Site Transfer (on request)
    CPanel 10.8.2-Release 115

• Scripting & Development
    PHP v4.4.2 + Addons
    Perl / CGI v5.8.7
    MySQL v4.1.19-Standard Databases
    Server Side Includes
    Cron Jobs
    Microsoft Front Page Extensions
    Image Magik
    SSL (With Self Signed Certificate)

• E-Mail & Mail Features
    Web-based Email acces
    Unlimited Mail Groups
    CatchAll Email Box
    Mail Bouncer
    Spam Filtering (Spam Assasin)
    Free Email Virus Scanning
    Mailing Lists (mailman)
    Custom Mail Filtering

• Other Key Features
    Subdomain redirects
    Pre-Installed CGI Scripts
    DNS Tools
    phpMyAdmin
    Daily offsite backups
    99.95% Uptiome Garuntee
    Free Script Installation
    24 hour Customer Support
Old 08-13-2006, 07:32 AM

Mine has it too...

Their cheapest plan is 3.95/month if you do the 2 year plan - details for this plan are below.

20 GB of Disk Space and 250 GB of monthly transfer.

The Expert Plan will give you 20 GB web space with no restrictions and no requirements. Don't fool around with competitors providing anything less than 500mb of disk space. Your website deserves more space, so there is plenty of room for future expansion. Use the disk space for anything you want - 20gb can host over 10,000 web pages.

1 FREE Domain Registration

The registration of one domain name is included for no additional charge. You can register any available .com/.net/.org/.info/.biz/.us domain for free! There is no setup fee, no annual fee, no InterNIC or another fee of any kind except the monthly subscription rate for your plan.

The domain registration is free of charge for as long as you host with us. Once you have instantly created your hosting account, you can start registering your domain for free at any time. You will have the choice of registering a domain for free immediately when ordering your hosting plan, or order your hosting plan with your existing domain name and use the free registration at any later time while you are our customer.

Host www.yourname.com

The Expert Plan allows you to host your own domain name. Your domain will be reachable with and without "www" prefix. Assuming "yourdomain.com" is your domain name, you could access it via http://www.yourdomain.com and http://yourdomain.com. You will be able to change your domain at any time using your Control Panel. Your domain will have full email, FrontPage or FTP service, which you will be able to access at "ftp.yourdomain.com" and "mail.yourdomain.com".

2 dedicated IP addresses

IP addresses are going fast on the Internet today, grab yours quickly before it is too late! You will be able to host your domain name on its own static and dedicated IP address. By hosting with a dedicated IP, you will always be able to reach your website's files, regardless if your domain name is responding or not. It is an extremely valuable resource for fixing problems that may arise with your domain name. A dedicated IP also allows you to test your website thoroughly before you change its nameservers.

Host 2 Domains and 20 Sub Domains

The Expert Plan allows you to host 2 domains plus 20 sub domains at a highly affordable price. Your hosted domains will be reachable with and without "www" prefix. Assuming "yourdomain.com" is your domain name, you could access it via http://www.yourdomain.com and http://yourdomain.com. Your up to 20 sub domains will look similar to this: http://sometexthere.yourdomain.com, where "sometexthere" can be anything you want. Domains and sub domains you host in your Expert Plan have full email, FrontPage or FTP service, which you will be able to access at "ftp.yourdomain.com" and "mail.yourdomain.com".

Naturally, each one of the sub domains can have completely different content, so you can delegate access rights (FTP username and password) to a third party. All domains and all sub domains are managed from the same control panel.

Up to 2,500 Email Services

The Expert Plan includes a full range of email services: Using your Control Panel, you will be able to create an up to 2,500 accounts of each POP3 / IMAP accounts, WebMail (Read Details), email redirects, aliases and forwarders, as well as auto responders and mailing lists.

Your email accounts can use as much disk space as is available for your account, or you can set a separate disk space quota for each one of your email users. Once you have instantly created your hosting account, you can login and start managing your email services immediately.

Up to 2,500 FTP Users

The Expert Plan includes a full range of FTP services: Using your Control Panel, you will be able to manage your existing FTP users' passwords and create up to 2,500 of so called "FTP sub-accounts". These sub-accounts can have their own directory below one of your domain name. You can choose the directory for that sub-account should be (the name doesn't have to be the same as the FTP username). That way you could sell hosting services to mini website owners who don't need their own domain name.

Anonymous FTP service (including anonymous uploads) and Virtual-FTP are available as well. They can be easily managed through your account's control panel. With anonymous FTP, you can allow users to upload to a restricted area of your site without providing a username and password. With Virtual-FTP, you can have the same username (example: "webmaster") for different domains in your account.

Advanced Scripting Support: CGI-BIN, Perl, PHP, SSI

You will have your own cgi-bin to run Perl or CGI scripts - a separate cgi-bin for each hosted domain name. Your own CGI-BIN can help making your site INTERACTIVE! Server Side Includes (SSI), PHP, plus many other applications are also supported by the Expert Plan. Click here to learn more!

No Forced Advertisements

We will never - ever - put advertisements on your website. Your website can stay totally advertisement free unlike with most free hosting companies or nickel-and-dimer deals. Of course you may still put your own advertisements on your pages to generate revenue.

Real-Time Control Panel

This browser-based control panel allows you to manage every aspect of your hosting account. From email or FTP accounts, adding and removing of domains in real-time over to managing password protected directories, SQL databases and your shopping cart's configuration.

Best of all, it is a *totally automated* solution. Don't wait on our response for a request - simply use your control panel and get it done INSTANTLY.

Included for FREE:

Check BoxWebsite Statistics & Raw Log Files
Check BoxFree Search Engine Submission
Check BoxProfessional Web Design Software
Check BoxOnline File Manager & WebShell
Check BoxWorld-Wide WebMail Access
If you opt for this, don't use their "free" domain registration. When the renewal comes back around, they charge $19.95/yr. Just use godaddy for domain reg for 8.95/yr.