Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter problems

Hi. I have an 87 toyota 4runner 4cyl standard and am having some problems with my starter. The other day i tryed to start and all i heard was a clicking sound of the starter solonoid.....i think. I've read it can be worn parts in the starter and that i should get a rebuild kit, but i took the starter off and opened it up and it looks in excellent condition. I put it back on and did another test i found on the internet. it said to test the voltage going in to the starter solonoid, so i did so. it gave me a reading of 4.57v, when it should be 0.5v within the battery voltage. The site gave me no tips on what i can do if it reads low like that, anyone have any ideas?

..and p.s.: i bench tested the starter when i had it off and it worked fine

cheers

dave
Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery Charged?
For Automatics there is a Neutral Safety Switch. Try in Neutral or park. If that doesen't work, check voltage on input side of switch (just check both). If it is a stick, it may have a clutch switch, locate and check as described above. Those would be my guess. Otherwise, it may be the switch, relay (if so equipped), etc.

Hope this helps
Old 09-25-2007, 07:05 PM

Clean the battery cables. If their turning green [ corrosion growing up the cable ] replace them.

Make sure the ground is good and clean to at the block end, and at the body end.

Electricity likes good clean contact points.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by warren133
Hi. I have an 87 toyota 4runner 4cyl standard and am having some problems with my starter. The other day i tryed to start and all i heard was a clicking sound of the starter solonoid.....i think. I've read it can be worn parts in the starter and that i should get a rebuild kit, but i took the starter off and opened it up and it looks in excellent condition. I put it back on and did another test i found on the internet. it said to test the voltage going in to the starter solonoid, so i did so. it gave me a reading of 4.57v, when it should be 0.5v within the battery voltage. The site gave me no tips on what i can do if it reads low like that, anyone have any ideas?

..and p.s.: i bench tested the starter when i had it off and it worked fine

cheers

dave
Read farther on the web page with the starter tips. That is you read this section about doing the voltage test:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

Well, if you found the solenoid contacts were not the problem, then look at the index on the page for:

"What if its not the solenoid?"

Which takes you to this section:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions
Old 02-23-2012, 06:00 PM

87 4runner: Have had it 11 months and I'm on the 3rd starter. The 1st I had to change out the 1st week, 2nd & 3rd lasted 3 months, and this last one is at 5 months & appears to be on the way out. Seems to act up in cold weather, (western Montana). My very reputable mechanic told me that the people rebuilding the starters do not always do a thorough job, but this is ridiculous, though the last one I installed had distinctive beat marks on it from the previous owner, and, it also lasted the longest. Is it possible that something is burning the starters up. or is it just poor workmanship? Help!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This might be a great oppertunity for you to re-build it and have peace of mind and feel good about re-building it yourself. Its not that hard.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 PM

Remans are almost always crap. I would try to find a used OEM starter and put new contacts in it.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BMcEL
Remans are almost always crap. I would try to find a used OEM starter and put new contacts in it.
Wow I didn't realize how old this thread was
Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by honeyfresh18
87 4runner: Have had it 11 months and I'm on the 3rd starter. The 1st I had to change out the 1st week, 2nd & 3rd lasted 3 months, and this last one is at 5 months & appears to be on the way out. Seems to act up in cold weather, (western Montana). My very reputable mechanic told me that the people rebuilding the starters do not always do a thorough job, but this is ridiculous, though the last one I installed had distinctive beat marks on it from the previous owner, and, it also lasted the longest. Is it possible that something is burning the starters up. or is it just poor workmanship? Help!
Test the voltage at the starter while it is in the vehicle:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

Might be the problem is in the vehicle wiring. If so, some fixes:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions

And also, pop open the cover on he solenoid and see what the contacts look like:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...rter.shtml#Fix