Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Dual case & center console?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual case & center console?

Those with first gen 4runners....

I'm looking for ideas to retain the console and rear window switches with my dual cases. I was going to move the switches to above the radio, but I'd rather not have to lengthen out the wiring so I figured I'd see what others have done. Any and all ideas welcome.......
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Easy enough to move the switches, the wiring comes from the dash area, I put mine up on the dash, one above the radio and one by the steering wheel. Originally they were cut into the middle section of the console:
Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM

There are 3 console switches:

1. Rear window up/down.
2. Rear window lock.
3. Rear wiper.

The rear window lock button is the most ridiculous switch ever, all it does is lock the switch that is right next to it, so I said good-bye to that; you have two switches left. In the summer with the top off, you are not going to need either of the other two buttons, and when the top is on, you might rarely use the rear wiper. My rear wiper didn't even work right, and I have tinted windows, so it's not like I can clearly see out the window anyways; good-bye to that switch. Any finally, my rear defroster doesn't work, and again, it's tinted, so I can't really see through it anyways. So, I took out the defroster switch and put the up/down button there. I then wired the up/down button to the harness in back so that it's perma-hot. Now, you have no console buttons to worry about.

I mean, I don't have dual t-cases, but that shows how I got rid of the switches.

Last edited by B4Runner; 07-23-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I relocated my switches to the drivers side of the dash. Plenty of wire, so no cutting or splicing necessary
Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 AM

Thanks all so far, and please keep the ideas/pics coming...

DC,
Do you have any pics? Did you put them up by the clutch cancel one or somewhere else? I didn't really think to put them up there since it didn't seem like there was enough wire but I confess.....it was late and after a few
Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
No pics of it, I did it on the fly before a wheeling trip when I was tired of my wiring getting in the way of the shifter heh. I don't have a center console in my 4Runner though.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Easy enough to move the switches, the wiring comes from the dash area, I put mine up on the dash, one above the radio and one by the steering wheel. Originally they were cut into the middle section of the console:
That's what I thought, until I tore apart the harness last night and found the gazzillion blue wires that were headed to the back out of one of the connectors. Perhaps I'll just have to take another look at it tonight a little earlier in the evening. I actually already had put the switches in the two open spots above the radio expecting to just pull the harness out from under the seat and tuck it up under the dash.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM

OK, so here's what my harness looks like connecting to the switches in the center console.

Perhaps they are run differently in different years, because there is no way that there is enough wire to make it up to the radio area. Also, below is a picture of the wiring connector for the window lock switch. Can someone help me out in figuring out how to bypass this?

I appreciate any help that y'all could provide as I'm no wiring master!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 AM

Can anyone help me out with bypassing/eliminating the window lock switch?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by B4Runner
There are 3 console switches:

1. Rear window up/down.
2. Rear window lock.
3. Rear wiper.

The rear window lock button is the most ridiculous switch ever, all it does is lock the switch that is right next to it, so I said good-bye to that; you have two switches left. In the summer with the top off, you are not going to need either of the other two buttons, and when the top is on, you might rarely use the rear wiper. My rear wiper didn't even work right, and I have tinted windows, so it's not like I can clearly see out the window anyways; good-bye to that switch. Any finally, my rear defroster doesn't work, and again, it's tinted, so I can't really see through it anyways. So, I took out the defroster switch and put the up/down button there. I then wired the up/down button to the harness in back so that it's perma-hot. Now, you have no console buttons to worry about.

I mean, I don't have dual t-cases, but that shows how I got rid of the switches.

mines a 95 and i only have one and thats the window and the lock is controlled off the other windows lock button and my wiper control is on the column. if it were me i would build a custom shifter for both t cases where you would have three levers side by side in the factory location