86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

no dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dimmer problem, no cluster lights

Im having the same problem on my 86 toyota pickup. I got no cluster lights and my dimmer is not working. Also when i hit a bump, my head lights fluctuates, like it blinks. I will check the dimmer for the cluster lights but need help on my head light.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Might try checking or replacing the dimmer switch. Reseating the connectors on the back of the cluster guage.

On the headlight issue, the head light harness is a poor design and you can buy an upgraded headlight harness off of 4crawler and ebay if I recall right. The standard harness works great for the regular headlight bulb, but I feel when people put in Halogen headlights, it is can put a strain on the harness.

The headlight harness ground is on the passenger inner fender. I have to cut the wiring harness back an inch or two and and am able to attach it right to the battery ground so it is in direct contact to the battery. Might give it a try.

Great looking truck you have.

Copied...
I got the following ground wire upgrade off of RAD. I mounted the wire coming off of the battery ground to the headlight harness ground.
Name:  elelctric1_zps886f3b8c.jpg
Views: 8302
Size:  26.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-20-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Might try checking or replacing the dimmer switch. Reseating the connectors on the back of the cluster guage.

On the headlight issue, the head light harness is a poor design and you can buy an upgraded headlight harness off of 4crawler and ebay if I recall right. The standard harness works great for the regular headlight bulb, but I feel when people put in Halogen headlights, it is can put a strain on the harness.

The headlight harness ground is on the passenger inner fender. I have to cut the wiring harness back an inch or two and and am able to attach it right to the battery ground so it is in direct contact to the battery. Might give it a try.

Great looking truck you have.

Copied...
I got the following ground wire upgrade off of RAD. I mounted the wire coming off of the battery ground to the headlight harness ground.
Thank you so much Terrys87. I will give it a try this weekend. I very much appreciate your reply.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
No problem. Here is some more info for your headlight switch that can also be a problem https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51724567 You will need to pull the steering wheel off to get access to the switch. Check the contacts while in there.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Yeah, Headlight circuit itself is poorly designed. Upgrade harness aka H4 conversion harness is a good fix. Also check to make sure that headlight connectors are secure and not corroded/dirty.
Only cluster has issue? Tails and
Markers work well?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yeah, Headlight circuit itself is poorly designed. Upgrade harness aka H4 conversion harness is a good fix. Also check to make sure that headlight connectors are secure and not corroded/dirty.
Only cluster has issue? Tails and
Markers work well?
Tail lights and markers works fine, just no cluster light. Sorry for the late reply, been very busy at work. Thanks so much.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No dash lights but tail lights work

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
good stuff! glad we could help

don't you just love it when it's something simple and stupid like that
I wish mine was as simple as your but i am having same issue i have no dash lights and i have tail light all fuses are good i did the dimmer bypass but still no lights on the dash is it possible for 2 out of the 3 to blow at the same time or is it the headlight switch itself
Old 01-18-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
good stuff! glad we could help

don't you just love it when it's something simple and stupid like that
I wish mine was as simple as your but i am having same issue i have no dash lights and i have tail light all fuses are good i did the dimmer bypass but still no lights on the dash is it possible for 2 out of the 3 to blow at the same time or is it the headlight switch itself my ac lights never worked and my coolant one been blown

Last edited by Yoda9916; 01-18-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:29 PM

Received 823 Likes on 650 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech.

The dash lights (the combination meter backlighting, as well as a number of switches) are on the same circuit as the taillights. The only difference is ...
Originally Posted by Yoda9916
... i did the dimmer bypass ...
... Well there's yer problem, lady! I have no idea what you did as "the dimmer bypass," but that is almost certainly where your problem lies. Why don't you take a picture, AND list which color wires were attached to which other color wires.

... my ac lights never worked and my coolant one been blown
Sorry, I can't decode this phrase.

If you need some more help, be sure to list what vehicle (Make/Model/Year/Engine/Transmission/Trim) you're talking about. Yes, it makes a difference even on something as simple as the rheostat. Just stick that information in your signature and you'll never have to repeat it.
The following users liked this post:
Yoda9916 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Welcome to YotaTech.

The dash lights (the combination meter backlighting, as well as a number of switches) are on the same circuit as the taillights. The only difference is ...
... Well there's yer problem, lady! I have no idea what you did as "the dimmer bypass," but that is almost certainly where your problem lies. Why don't you take a picture, AND list which color wires were attached to which other color wires.

If you need some more help, be sure to list what vehicle (Make/Model/Year/Engine/Transmission/Trim) you're talking about. Yes, it makes a difference even on something as simple as the rheostat. Just stick that information in your signature and you'll never have to repeat it.
94 Toyota pickup dlx 2.4l 22re 5 speed manual transmission i had a black and white wire to a red an blue stripped one didnt see any other wires or connectors on it any way to by pass it
Old 01-18-2020, 05:18 PM

Welcome to YotaTech.

my heater cluster has never lit up so most likely the bulb and my coolant guage light bulb is also burnt out
Old 01-18-2020, 05:51 PM

Welcome to YotaTech.

94 Toyota pickup dlx 2.4l 22re 5 speed manual transmission i had a black and white wire to a red an blue stripped one didnt see any other wires or connectors on it any way to by pass it

Old 01-18-2020, 06:53 PM

Received 823 Likes on 650 Posts
Well, I'm not sure I can help. My 1994 EWD shows the rheostat fed by a white-Green and a White-Black (ground) wire. The connector to the rheostat looks like one of the following:

(the 3-pin connector is for vehicles with a tachometer). So I don't think you have the correct connector, or the correct wires.

You could try checking your R-L wire for 12v to ground with the taillight switch to "on." Your B-W wire could be ground, but it would be worth checking as well.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:48 PM

Well, I'm not sure I can help. My 1994 EWD shows the rheostat fed by a white-Green and a White-Black (ground) wire. The connector to the rheostat looks like one of the following:

(the 3-pin connector is for vehicles with a tachometer). So I don't think you have the correct connector, or the correct wires.

You could try checking your R-L wire for 12v to ground with the taillight switch to "on." Your B-W wire could be ground, but it would be worth checking as well.

Thats whats different about mine it has no tack so i inly require 2 wires
Old 01-19-2020, 02:49 PM

I think my issues lies in bulbs havent replaced yet cause broke but inspected them one loos good still. I think mines a mutt and have 88 year rehostat. But ima try bulb and a used one i ordered once here.
if anyone has any way to bypass a 2 wire setup please let me know.

Last edited by Yoda9916; 01-19-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:16 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I think my issues lies in bulbs havent replaced yet cause broke but inspected them one loos good still. I think mines a mutt and have 88 year rehostat. But ima try bulb and a used one i ordered once here.
if anyone has any way to bypass a 2 wire setup please let me know.
Im guessing that's a two prong spade connector you have jammed into the plug you pulled off the dimmer switch?

Try pulling that out and putting your multimeter on it instead. You should find 12v on one side? And zero ohm to ground on the other? If you don't go d one of those you know which side the fault lays on supply or drain.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (01-20-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 08:49 PM

Dash lights

I got them working now replaced bulb on top of the switch it was the switch the whole time thank you all for the help a friend found one thats the same modle for my truck that came out of it.