General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Lights

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for a while now; using the search to find some help for myself. Now I need some help that I can't find an answer to from the search function.

First off I guess I'll introduce my vehicle; I have a 94 4runner v6, its basically all stock except for some 31's and a safari rack. And a stereo(126db's!!!!!, reading was taken off of the windshield).

Now for my problem, several months ago I was doing some rearanging with my stereo so I was doing some messing under the dash. Sometime around there my dash lights quit working. Including shifter lights, and a/c illumination...however the turn signal displays and 4wd and check engine and all of those other dummy lights work just fine.

I've been under the dash several times since then trying to find something I might have accidentally unplugged in the process, I havn't found anything. I've also checked the dash lights to see if by some odd coincidence my dash bulbs blew at the same time I was working under there and the dash bulbs do work.

I'm at a loss for new stuff to check, so i took it to a "stealership" and they ran diognostics on the wiring harness and rechecked all my fuses, which all checked out. they then wanted another 200 to open up the dash(which takes me about ten minutes now). so i just told them to forget about it, and thats where i am now...without dash lights, and needing help.

So I'll take any suggestions, thanks everyone!
Old 12-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm, find where the main power wire is to the lights, and check it out, also check the grounds. You might have knocked loose a wire that was already messed up.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
and check your dimmer.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:58 PM

thanks everyone. does anyone know where the main power for the dash comes in. I have a wiring diagram, but it doesn't tell me and i can't find out where the main power comes in.

and I glanced at the dimmer, but it does seem like a good idea to go back and recheck it.

if anyone else has more ideas I'm quite open to them.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned

holy crap i have (or had in your case) the same problem i installing a glove box light and so i tokk the whole dash apart ... the whole thing... and my dash lights just stopped working, the air unit and gauges, i went through it 4 times over and over i still cant figure it out ... what happened with yours