86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High compression pistons and cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High compression pistons and cam?

Ok so this is my first post on the site, I have a 1994 toyota pickup 4x4 extended cab. Ive been searching around for a while and only found one other thread with some of the same questions i have.

I recently bought a 22r with high compression piston, rods, and a pretty large cam (came out of a celica dirt track car) I was wondering what i would need to do in order to run this motor with the EFI off my current 22re. Would I need to run bigger injectors and pump or will the stock be sound? Will i need to get a fuel and spark timing system like AEM or will the stock ECU be able to handle this set up? Any other advice would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
what kind of profile does your cam have? I know 261 and 268 duration cams can be run on stock 22RE settings. Once you get bigger than that you need to start adjusting the AFM, as well as other air/ful/spark combinations. As far as the computer goes, I can't answer that, but someone should know.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:11 PM

Its a 268 i believe but ill double check, and i want to put the EFI system because the current carb setup on the motor wont fit under the hood. It has a holly 2 barrel with a spacer so it would be sticking up through the hood about 3 inches including the air filter. But if it turns out i need to run a fuel spark timing system ill probably end up getting a junkyard hood and cutting a hole and fabing up something to cover it.

Last edited by O HAI; 03-09-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM

Also wondering on exhaust size. I was thinking 2 1/4'' but also taking any suggestions. I know this is the place to ask about these trucks and motors
Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Honestly,I would keep it a carb set up. It will be cheaper in the long run. Get a weber carb and call it a day. Then you wouldn't have to get a new hood and you wouldn't have to source parts for the EFI. I have heard converting over to EFI is a real pain, albeit doable.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-14-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
yeah I think a weber 38 is in order.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well.... There are those of us that think proper EFI can perform better than carbs.

And having said that...
... not sure why one would need a new hood to run EFI. Stock EFI intake clears the hood just fine. You might need a new hood to clear an air filter on the Weber, depending on the filter, but not likely then either.

But before we go too far...
What's the compression ratio on the engine you're thinking of putting in?
Are you looking at using stock EFI or aftermarket?
Are you on a budget?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Well.... There are those of us that think proper EFI can perform better than carbs.

And having said that...
... not sure why one would need a new hood to run EFI. Stock EFI intake clears the hood just fine. You might need a new hood to clear an air filter on the Weber, depending on the filter, but not likely then either.

But before we go too far...
What's the compression ratio on the engine you're thinking of putting in?
Are you looking at using stock EFI or aftermarket?
Are you on a budget?
To answer your questions, yes it is a budget I got a hell of a deal on the motor and want to keep it that way. The compression will be about 10:1 (but since the guy i bought it off of was an idiot he didnt know anything about it) the cam i looked its a 272 or bigger. The EFI i would love to run the stock setup that i have on my stock motor and just swap it over.

As far as cutting the hood I was talking about doing that to clear the air filter for the carb if I do end up having to run that.

Last edited by O HAI; 03-14-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Regardless of EFI or carb'd, 10:1 compression and that cam is going to mess with you.
If you have it carb'd, plan on jetting it.
If it's EFI, vacuum at idle is going to muck with you too.

The engine came from a circle track Celica, right? So basically mid / high RPM's are where the engine wants to be. Tuning a carb to operate with relatively narrow RPMs isn't terribly difficult. Tuning some EFI systems isn't that hard either, but you have to understand the sensors' operation.
Taking that engine and putting it on the street adds demands on the engine and fuel system: idle well enough, deliver enough torque to get moving, etc. Many carb's aren't flexible enough to deliver smooth operation at idle / slight throttle and peak power when you press the throttle. Similarly, the stock Toyota EFI can't do that either, but it does a better job at it since it can control fuel more accurately.

If you look around, you'll probably find that 'specific purpose' engines use carb's and 'multi-purpose' engines are FI. Injection allows for more precise control of fuel over broad conditions and carb's work best at the most narrow conditions. Beyond that, street vehicles have a hard time meeting current emissions requirements with carbs, yet can do so with relative ease with FI, and horsepower ratings are up to the muscle car range too.

Last edited by abecedarian; 03-14-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, ill be doing the swap mid summer and post some pics and a build thread.