Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flamethrowers 1986 22re Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Flamethrowers 1986 22re Injectors

I was fortunate enough to get to test Flamethrowers injectors in my 1986 4Runner. I installed the injectors and after I got fuel back thru the fuel rail and into the injectors, I could tell the motor was running smoother. After checking for leaks I took the runner on the road and could tell I had more lower end torque. Even chirped the tires a few times and wasnt really trying to

I took it up to hiway speed and the motor just sounds great and took a few hills to see what kind of power I might have gained there. Most of the hills I have been on I have never had to down shift on but I still liked how it ran on those hills. Overall I felt the biggest difference in the lower RPMs. I am quite happy with the results and will be buying some for my 88 Runner.

I havent got to see the difference in fuel mileage yet and will add to this later when I have ran a few tanks of fuel thru the truck and see what I find.

Here is the noticeable difference between the factory injector. Flamethrowers have a funnel like shape at the end of the injector. This seems to me to be a better design for fuel flow and less chance of getting clogged.

The one on the left is the Toyota Factory one. The one on the right is Flamethrowers Injector. I could see how this can be a big improvement.
Name:  Flamethrower1_zps173b33f0.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  32.2 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-24-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Yesterday I filled the runner and I have gone up 2 miles per gallon. I fill up when I get to the 1/4 tank mark to avoid over heating the fuel pump. I put in around 12 gallons and got 216 miles on my tank of fuel before installing the Flame Throwers. My trip consisted of 37 miles one way to work. I tried to hold the speed around 60-65 miles an hour. I dont have many stops but do have several hills to contend with.

On this tank with the Flame Throwers, I got 240 miles and actually put in 12 1/2 gallons. I had to do some freeway driving and was up in the 70s and 80s miles per hour and I am sure that hurt my mileage some. I want to eventually keep the miles at 60-65 and just get my average from work miles only and see what I can actually get with a steady speed instead of varying and higher speeds. I think I can get another mile or two by staying steady speed.

I also notice that the runner will idle at alot slower speed before stalling out. All in all, these injectors are working out great and an improvement over the factory setup.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 AM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Sweet been reading the reviews and I'm liking what I'm hearing !! How was the install? I see they come with a gasket and different plugs wondering if it was easy peezy or kinda difficult to put em in??

Thinking about ordering a set here soon
Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The 22re's come with new Orings that are needed. I read the the 3.0 does come with intake gasket but cant say for sure. The 22re does not come with a intake gasket, but you shouldnt need it. Even Toyota doesnt use sealant on the intake and you just reuse the intake gasket. I have had the intake off of mine several times before the upgrade and you wont need a new intake gasket.

You will need to reuse your Crush Washers for the Cold Start Injector. Those are cheap enough to replace if you wanted to. I have reused the crush washers several times in the past and never had a problem.

The install took me about 1 hour. Here is the steps I did to replace the injectors off of the top of my head. For those that may not have experience, you should consult a Factory Service Manual or a Haynes.

1. Remove Air Intake Tube.
2. Remove the 3 bolts and 1 nut that holds the Throttle Body and lay it out of the way. There is a water line that hooks up to the Throttle Body Assembly, I plugged it with a bolt to keep from losing any antifreeze.
3. Remove the 2 bolts that holds the EGR from the back of the Plenum and get the pipe out of the way.
4. Remove the bolt that goes into the Cold Start Injector being carful not lose the 2 copper crush washers that go on the banjo fitting.
5.Remove the 7 bolts from the Plenum.
6. I had to remove the larger vacuum lines so that I could lay the Plenum on top of the valve cover. If you completly remove the Plenum, make great note of how vacuum lines are routed.
7. Remove 2 bolts from Fuel Rail that holds injectors.
8. You may need to remove one of the fuel lines from the fuel filter. Anytime you remove a fuel line, disconnect your battery as the fuel will run down and the starter wire is hot at all times and is a fire possibility.
9. 85-87 Injector connectors are a poorer design then the 88 and up. The early connectors use a C wire clip that is the same as the Cold Start Injector wire clip. I use a finishing nail to remove the wire clip. Also the early injector connectors can be brittle on the 85-87 so use care as it is possible for the little skirts on the connectors to chip and break. The 88 and up connectors have a little squeeze tab.
10. On all 22re years, I suggest using a magic marker and number your injector connections. It is possible to get numbers 3 and 4 backwards if not careful. Here is a picture of some of the hoses I disconnected and talking about as far as connectors>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52100494
11. FlameThrower does a great job of having caps installed to keep the Orings sealed and lubricated. Make sure orings are lubricated or wet when intalling the fuel rail as it is possible to knick the orings and get a leak. ( Speaking from past experience).
12. Reverse the procedure for installing the injectors. This is not a complete steps needed to install the injectors but how I did it.

Check for fuel leaks at the top of the injectors and at the Cold Start Injector. You are going to lose about 3-6 onces of fuel when disconnecting the fuel rail, and the injectors need to fill with fuel so it will hesitate when first starting. I had to crank mine for about 10 -20 seconds if I recall right before it started running.

The old injectors are 25 +/- years behind in technology and the Flamethrowers a great improvement over stock. I noticed smoother idle after fuel got back thru the system and the runner is more responsive. It will idle a lot lower before stalling out as well.
Name:  Flamethrower2_zps9710f175.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  71.6 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-01-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I use a tank and a half of gas for a weeks worth of driving to work. Usually filling back up on Wednesday. Today I didnt fill up til this afternoon or on the 4th workday instead of the 3rd day of the work week. I am noticing an improvement in mileage. Will be getting a set soon for my other truck.

I dont need to stay in first and second gear as long as I used to and is the most noticeable difference in driving.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terry's a sell-out!! Just kidding, I'm jealous I didn't get a free set to try. Nice to have a wide variety on yota tech trying them out to get a good idea how these work.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody looking for these injectors can find them in the vendor marketplace at the following link:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...ectors-271870/
Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello JohnnyCanuck..Lol, I was fortuanate enough to get some and am very pleased with them. I will be ordering a set at a later time for another project I am working on. They do make a difference.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have ran 3 tanks of fuel since installing my Flamethrowers and the last two fill ups is where I noticed that I have been getting around 2-3 miles per gallon better. I used to fill up have half way thru the week. Now I can go til the 4th day of the week till needing to fill up again.

I did not adjust my idle after installing my Flamethrowers and now I need to bring my idle from 1050 rpms to around 900 rpms. An easy fix and am wondering what kind of results that will bring as well.