86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st Gen 4runner gate lock cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen 4runner gate lock cylinder?

My search-fu is week today. Anyone know how to get this thing out? I'm trying to swap out the lock cylinder from my truck to a new tailgate I picked up. I see there are two screws from the back but the darn thing won't budge even with the screws out. There has to be something simple I'm missing....maybe shouldn't be working on stuff so late at night
Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM

You have to take the plastic thing that says toyota on it off. To do that I think you can roll the window like half way up and get to it from the inside of the tailgate. Im not positive on that though. Its been a long time since I changed my tailgate lock cylinder
Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM

I got the plastic deal off and the two screws that bolt the cylinder to the plastic thing it's just really stuck on there like there's a clip or twist or something I'm not doing right....
Old 06-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rebuilt mine a few months ago, but I am pretty sure that there is a clip that slides into a groove on the cylinder to hold it in place firmly with pressure. Once the black plastic moulding is removed from the door, it can be accessed from within. Dont quote me on this, but im pretty sure about it.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've stripped 3 4runners, kept all the door cylinders etc. for parts, I can't figure out how that cylinder comes out of that tail gate plastic part either.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:25 AM

check the tire pressure...must be the tire pressure..
Old 06-25-2010, 03:58 PM

Back from the raod

Ok, back in town and happen to have my spare setup in front of me. If you look in the picture below you will see a small gold square with a little silver pin in the center. You press this pin in with a small jewelers screwdriver or similar and the lock pulls apart into two pieces, the actual cylinder and the electric switch that controls the window.. The setup is pulled apart slightly in the pict. Once it is put back together the pin pops into that little hole to the left of the gold section. The pin is spring loaded.

Note: If you are just re-keying the setup you can just switch your new cylinder into the back part of the assembly without removing the entire black plastic fascia. You have to loosen it and let it hang down a little, then it is accessible. If you need to replace the switch for some reason, then you will have to disconnect the plug to it from within the tailgate to get the whole system out.

The easiest way to access this is to put the tailgate down then push the latching mechanisms on the tailgate in with a screwdriver. Then lock the tailgate. This will allow the window to be raised (now deployed horizontally) to get the window out of the way so you can access the bolts to the plastic fascia piece to remover it and get to the lock assembly. Support the window with something like a garbage can to take the weight off of it while working or it might break. This way you can get everything out without removing the window.

Good Luck and hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails 1st Gen 4runner gate lock cylinder?-imag0109.jpg  
Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 AM

Many thanks amigo! I knew there had to be something simple I was overlooking!!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:24 PM

No problem.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM

can you just replace it with a door lock cylinder?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by theMonch
Ok, back in town and happen to have my spare setup in front of me. If you look in the picture below you will see a small gold square with a little silver pin in the center. You press this pin in with a small jewelers screwdriver or similar and the lock pulls apart into two pieces, the actual cylinder and the electric switch that controls the window.. The setup is pulled apart slightly in the pict. Once it is put back together the pin pops into that little hole to the left of the gold section. The pin is spring loaded.

Note: If you are just re-keying the setup you can just switch your new cylinder into the back part of the assembly without removing the entire black plastic fascia. You have to loosen it and let it hang down a little, then it is accessible. If you need to replace the switch for some reason, then you will have to disconnect the plug to it from within the tailgate to get the whole system out.

The easiest way to access this is to put the tailgate down then push the latching mechanisms on the tailgate in with a screwdriver. Then lock the tailgate. This will allow the window to be raised (now deployed horizontally) to get the window out of the way so you can access the bolts to the plastic fascia piece to remover it and get to the lock assembly. Support the window with something like a garbage can to take the weight off of it while working or it might break. This way you can get everything out without removing the window.

So I can buy another cylinder and put it in?!
Old 03-11-2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by theMonch

MAJOR help!! Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:21 PM

I have a third screw in the panel that holds the lock cylinder on my 1st Gen 87 4runner. It's right in the middle held with some type of clip. I am guessing most people just break it off? I really don't want to do that but I am scratching my head on how to remove it.

------------------

After writing this I went back out and with a pair of needle nose pliers was able to squish the wings on the post and that allowed me to push the panel out. I can imagine that most folks probably get annoyed and just break it. But success is good too. i also have a spare switch from eons ago. The switch is definitely bad. So here we go.

Thanks all for the input on this thread,,, it's good to have a place to find information for ancient 4runners.

Last edited by VideOD; 11-10-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Move rear key cylinder wiring?

Has any one been able to relocate the wiring held by the blue clips? My window hits the blue clip on the way down and makes a big pop and the wiring itself rubber my window creating a streak. Would love to move or tuck somewhere, but the blue clip is connected to the sheet metal and I prefer not to break it. Would love to know how to solve it as I cringe everytime I lower the window.
thanks!