Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

CO: Black Canyon, Uncompahgre Plateau (pics: dial-up caution)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CO: Black Canyon, Uncompahgre Plateau (pics: dial-up caution)

Here's another Colorado journal installment from another extended weekend I just got back from. This time around, my main focus would be both rims of the Black Canyon and some side canyon roads off the ~70-mile long Uncompahgre Plateau, which I had not been on previously. After the first day and a half, I captured most of the stuff I wanted to see at either place and was somewhat at a loss for what I would do next. The "problem" would soon be solved as I headed for the northern end of the plateau to Colorado National Monument and the arches of Rattlesnake Canyon.

As for the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, it is another favorite spot of mine. It has been said that there are other canyons which are longer, deeper, and narrower, but no other canyon in North America combines the depth, narrowness, and sheerness of the Black Canyon. For reference, the deepest section is 2,772' deep.

The arches of Rattlesnake Canyon was also a place I had not yet been, but have really been looking forward to checking it out for quite some time. What was the appeal? Rattlesnake Canyon is home to the second largest concentration of arches in the country behind Arches Nat'l Park. Bet ya didn't know that! There are actually 11 of them, 6 being major ones. They all lie back-to-back along the canyon rim. And like Arches and the greater Moab area, this part of Colorado is strikingly similar, including the weather--it was rather warm! Not surprising being that they're only 2 hours apart. There are some other arches in some other nearby canyons as well. These arches are not seen by many, as they lie in wilderness area and require a 5.5 mile roundtrip hike.

And because text is boring to look at, here are the pics:

Sunrise at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park

Black Canyon

Black Canyon

Above Escalante Canyon on the Uncompahgre Plateau. Grand Mesa, the world's largest flattop mountain, can be seen in the distance.

Had to include at least one 4Runner shot in here somewhere!

The road less traveled

An older set of cabins along the way dating back to the late 1800's

Colorado National Monument

Rattlesnake Canyon. I only saw one small snake during my 6.8 miles of hiking, though it wasn't a rattler.

You DO NOT want to make this guy mad!

The last arch along the trail

Looking up at some formations

The biggest arch in the area, Akiti Arch, which measures 40' across and is 120' high. Incidentally, this was also where I met and conversed with a group of four ladies along the trail, three of which were closer to my age. Ha! Uh, yeah. They asked me take a couple group pictures of them, which I was obviously happy to oblige, and they were ever grateful. The stupid part is that I didn't manage to get any on MY camera! To top it off, I never even mentioned my web address for which they could send me a "thanks again" note, or at least one of the pictures (phone number, too?!)! Such is my life. Actually, because I look more like a :pig: , it never would've worked out anyway! Good thing I know my own limitations to save me from further embarrassment. When I got home, one of the first things I did was to finally get around to designing my personal business card, which I have held off for far too long. I'm sure that they'll make a great conversation piece for anyone I come in contact with!

Last edited by Darren; 09-12-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

My life is going to be spent discovering the areas of southeastern Utah and Colorado....as soon as I can figure out a way to get the other stuff out of my life.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Stunning as always, I'll have to take a vacation next down to Colorado, it's always been on my list of places to see.

Way to go with the ladies you stud!
Haha!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:00 PM

Stop it! I can't take it anymore!

I REALLY need to go to Colorado!
Old 09-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

Darren, you make me want to drive out there next weekend so i can tag along. Ive been to Colorado 3 times (all family vacations). Steamboat (winter), Vail (winter) and Vail (summer). I love that state, there is just so much to do out there. Someday i will venture West in my 4Runner...
Old 09-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

couldn't manage to take any decent pictures, huh darren?

JK, you know you done well. great pictures. once again, you've made me want to go back to colorado. i plan to go in january, this makes me want to drive it.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great pics Darren! I think it's time for a new wallpaper or two...
Old 09-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
more amazing photos as usual. u should come pick me up and take me with you on one of your trips! lol
Old 09-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, guys! I don't really know why all the interest in visiting out here. Really, there isn't much to see!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Darren
I don't really know why all the interest in visiting out here. Really, there isn't much to see!
Well then I guess I should cancel my trip next week.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darren
Thanks, guys! I don't really know why all the interest in visiting out here. Really, there isn't much to see!
Don't let them fool you, you said there were 4 girls...
Old 09-18-2004, 07:09 PM

damn i need a vacation!!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great pics, I have been to Black Canyon and it is even more awesome than the Grand Canyon. It is very hard to capture the view with pictures, but we have to try don't we.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-19-2004 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:15 PM

I was just out in Colorado a month ago. So beautiful. Such fresh air, no humidity. I stayed in Brekenridge for a week. I'd love to move out there, or at least spend a month or 2 out there.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

jscarrozzo,
Ive been out there twice, and just love it, im seriously thinking about moving out that way, thankx to Darren, he showed us around some trails, the people we have met are very nice polite, down to earth, ready to help, except Darren, hes so mean, posting these pictures, i just hate him for it,
Old 10-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RicNkc
jscarrozzo,
the people we have met are very nice polite, down to earth, ready to help,
I'm betting you didn't go through Aspen then