86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dad gave me his '92 Pickup!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 11:49 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Dad gave me his '92 Pickup!!

Dream come true, my dad's little 92 pickup he purchased brand new on 5/18/1992 now belongs to me. I went down south for a family reunion and he asked if I wanted to buy it, asked what I'd pay for it and I said "3 thousand" and he said "Sold". I had never really checked it out very closely, but knew he had always taken care of it, serviced by Toyota and driven lightly as a second vehicle most of those 32 years. And I've only ever driven it once a few years ago and recalled it being a tight fit in that little cab!! But I knew it was easily worth that much and worth even more to me to keep it in the family. He later said he didn't want the money but I insisted on paying for it, because he could probably sell it for more. It was parked under trees most of its life so I spent alot of time cleaning off the 'black stuff'. Hood and roof are pretty spotty and faded but I can't find a spot of rust anywhere on the truck. Been in Alabama for 32 years. He didn't realize unti he was looking through the paperwork that he bought it on May 18, the same day he was giving it to me. I later realized that he was 52 years old when he bought it, same age as me. Though he advised against it, I drove it home 959 miles without a single issue, which did not surprise me one bit. It has been driven 15k miles in the past 19 years, for a total of 144k. Still plan to wax and polish this weekend, for what it's worth, but enjoy some before and after pics, after I cleaned the exterior.

Jeff

Got a CEL in Nashville, figured it was nothing but stopped for the night near a Toyota dealer, where they confirmed the next morning, "keep going"

cleaned up great

The following users liked this post:
old87yota (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 11:55 AM

more pics...

Old 05-24-2024, 12:01 PM

Forgot to mention the nearly 1,000 mile trip home was with no A/C, no radio and most importantly, no CRUISE lol but i made it home with just a sunburned left elbow and knee. It does have a cupholder which came in handy, it has a radio and A/C but both are inop. Think the reverse lights don't work either. Other than that, drives like a new one, which my dad pointed out, and he was right!
Thanks for reading.

Jeff
old87yota (05-26-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 10:36 AM
osv

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
ground score! that truck looks like a keeper to me
hurricanes (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 11:14 AM

Looks even better after using some compound and a wax, cleaning the wheels, windows and interior, all that's left is cleaning the seats and carpet. Radio backlight comes on for about 5 seconds when you start it, where you would expect the radio station number to be displayed, but there's no number, that little window just lights up. And as far as I can tell there's no fuse specifically for the reverse lights, so need to figure that issue out as well, whenever I can get it on the lift I can see if there's a switch under there on the tranny.

The following 3 users liked this post by hurricanes:
jrhende (05-27-2024), Nervo19 (05-27-2024), old87yota (05-26-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 07:14 PM

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts
"Got a CEL in Nashville." There's a country song in there somewhere. Congratulations. It looks great. A friend used to have an '88 2WD and it was like driving a sports car after driving my same year 4Runner.
hurricanes (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 03:24 AM

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts
Truck cleaned up really well! Nicely done!
hurricanes (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 07:44 AM

So when my Dad opened the door for me he pushed the seat back, so I assumed it was ALL the way back and never checked. So while cleaning the carpets yesterday I realized it was NOT all the way back. What a difference 2-3" makes (I'm sure someone will quote that one) and what an IDIOT I feel like after driving it 1,000 miles with the seat that way!!!

I asked him the other day if he remembered why the steering column cover was brown, and he said "No idea" Well I was searching the junk yards online yesterday and saw another Toyota, a Camry I think, that also had grey interior and brown steering column cover. So I asked again and he said "Yeah it came that way, never changed it" So I learned something new about these old trucks. I would guess the DLX had the same color at least? In the back of my mind I knew from his paperwork that Toyota had installed a new ignition switch at some point, so I thought maybe they broke the grey cover and replaced with a brown one, until I realized the ignition switch is in the dash, not on the column lol.

Radio lights up but doesn't work. I didn't even know the little station window existed until I cleaned it lol. Cool looking little radio I hope I can fix it

jrhende (06-03-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 12:04 PM

While cleaning the interior the other day I reached up to turn the dome light off or on or on DOOR I forget but the cover popped off into my hand, and when I grabbed it with the least amount of force you can imagine, it crumbled to pieces. Luckily Toyota still has them in stock for 9 bucks, not terrible.
One thing I've noticed is that the defog/defrost is terrible in this truck, windows have to be open somewhat for it to really work at all. Seems to have a good amount of air blowing on the windshield. It wasn't cold outside, just raining. I tried hot, cold, warm, fresh air and recirculated air, nothing really helped. Probably doesn't help that the A/C is inop. Going to pull out the glove box today as I think there's an A/C fuse or relay under there? Radio can wait. A/C and window tint are probably going to be my first things to address.

I guess this is what it used to look like ( :
Old 06-05-2024, 12:17 PM

Received 227 Likes on 168 Posts
Yes, without the A/C defrosting is a pain, couple little things that excited me when I got my truck was first and foremost a factory clock!!! They have them on eBay and it’s plug and play!!! Just have to pop that little blank cover next to your climate controls out and bam it goes right in, also upgraded to the dual light dome light out of a 4 runner, it is also plug and play. That little interior light is just too small, for my tastes anyway.