Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Tahoe run with some xterras

Old 09-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tahoe run with some xterras

Went with some xterras last weekend to tahoe for their annual xterra championships. This is a triathalon that takes place all around the country that nissan now sponsors. An interesting thing I learned is that Nissan actually licensed the name "Xterra" from Xterra Planet, the race organization for the SUV. Yup, the SUV is named after the race organization, not the other way around. Here's their website: http://www.xterraplanet.com/

So on Saturday we all caravaned up to tahoe, about 6-7 xterras and my 4runner. At Tahoe we pulled into the event parking lot where the xterras continued on to the center of the event where the owners put their xterras on display for a little show and shine. Nobody was really serious about winning, it was all for fun and some were stock and some were built for off roading.

Also at the show were the 05 pathfinder, 05 xterra and 05 titan. The 05 xterra had an electric rear locker. I kinda like the older xterra better, the new one is bigger. The nissan reps had scouted a trail for us to drive on after the event. Of course it was pretty tame, but it's still pretty cool that Nissan supports owners of xterras like this. Too bad toyota doesn't.

So the next day was the real fun. We all headed to the rubicon trailhead where the stockers parked and the rest of us aired down. No, we didn't actually do the rubicon, although technically the part of the trail we drove on is considered the rubicon. We drove out to observation point which is near cadillac hill. Cadillac hill is the last obstacle of the rubicon. We then looped around on barker trail, back to the trailhead. We passed a lot of groups with buggies, built jeeps and even a couple fullsizes and all were pretty nice folks. The cool thing is I finally got to use my lockers. I also bought a old transfer case skid plate off of leo and got to test it. All I can say is that thing is a plow and rock magnet! But, like leo said, I didn't care what I hit because I knew everything down there was protected.

Anyway, here's a link to everybody's pics:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/...;f=13;t=000890
Old 10-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Bud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Lookin' good Steve. No pix of the 05 pathys and xterras?
I like the look of the new frontiers, mini titan.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The xterra guys got some good pictures of the 05s, bunch of links on the xterra forum. I like the look of the new frontier better than the old one. I'm not sure if they were pre production example trucks, but the interior didn't look to great. Kind of unfinished, cheap plastic.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Bud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aaah, never mind i see it now. I missed the link tha xsal posted.
If it werent for the tacoma, i'd be driving a xterra or a frontier.