Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:32 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Dang Ed, those are looking awesome!

for what it's worth, I would love a more durable metal tailgate door
Old 06-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by rustED
Thanks! I did a couple more, the first one is another cargo door, the second one is just a practice piece.

TAKE MY MONEY!!! That looks great. Would you ever consider building weld in panels for a TG bumper that has speed holes in it?
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by magnet18
Dang Ed, those are looking awesome!

for what it's worth, I would love a more durable metal tailgate door
Thanks! I'd have no problem doing a tailgate cover for ya, just not sure how bad shipping would be

Originally Posted by jakey poo
TAKE MY MONEY!!! That looks great. Would you ever consider building weld in panels for a TG bumper that has speed holes in it?
Thanks Jake! How thick would the panels need to be? My make shift dimple dies (aka: repurposed sockets) are probably not going to work well on anything thicker than 16 gauge...I want to get some "real dimple dies in a variety of sizes eventually.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to ask. Do you think you could make metal glove boxes for second gens? I love the metal ones in first gens and I would definitely throw money your way. Lol

​​
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by rustED
Thanks! I'd have no problem doing a tailgate cover for ya, just not sure how bad shipping would be

Thanks Jake! How thick would the panels need to be? My make shift dimple dies (aka: repurposed sockets) are probably not going to work well on anything thicker than 16 gauge...I want to get some "real dimple dies in a variety of sizes eventually.
Honestly they'd just be for looks.

Something like this
Old 06-21-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
I have to ask. Do you think you could make metal glove boxes for second gens? I love the metal ones in first gens and I would definitely throw money your way. Lol
​​
I'm open to the possibility of trying to do one, I would have to look at mine more closely to see what all would be involved. *Edit* Are you talking the whole outer glovebox door panel or just a metal overlay that could be attached to the original? I just want to clarify, lol, I'm thinking you meant the whole outer door shell.

Originally Posted by jakey poo
Honestly they'd just be for looks.

Something like this
I could do something like that. My speed holes are approximately 1-1/8" across, if that would work. Maybe you could pm me the dimensions, or possibly a drawing with the layout and measurements and spacing of the holes. I have a few projects to finish first, some rear cargo doors and a set of door panels.

Last edited by rustED; 06-21-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:01 PM

I'm in no hurry! I'll get some measurements are maybe a sophisticated Microsoft paint drawing and pm them to you at some point. Keep up the great work
Old 06-22-2017, 08:28 AM

Sounds good, thanks!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:39 AM

The whole bucket part of the glovebox, with the dinky little brackets that crack super easy. The angles wouldn't be that difficult, I'm sure, but perhaps one would have to reuse or buy another latch? The reason I ask is because of how much storage can be an issue with these trucks and you can't put too much into the glovebox. I think if it were metal you could put tools + protection / whatever, and it would hold it.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
...storage can be an issue with these trucks and you can't put too much into the glovebox. I think if it were metal you could put tools + protection...
For tool storage that's out of sight and secure, I think I mentioned this to Ed earlier... Putting bigger doors in the rear quarter panels and stuffing tool roll-up pouches, etc in there would be more bang for the buck. I'm working on my tool rolls now. Will work on doors later.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:27 PM

The whole bucket part of the glovebox, with the dinky little brackets that crack super easy. The angles wouldn't be that difficult, I'm sure, but perhaps one would have to reuse or buy another latch? The reason I ask is because of how much storage can be an issue with these trucks and you can't put too much into the glovebox. I think if it were metal you could put tools + protection / whatever, and it would hold it.
that's a good idea I'm off work the next 2 days I'll look into it. I need to fix my glove box anyway, on mine the bolts holding the latch in place are missing so every time I go to open the glovebox the latch falls out, lol.

Not vehicle related, but I was practicing rolling some sheet metal did this one today:

the elk isnt finished yet, but its going to be an insert for some door panels Im makeing for a friends 86' toyota pickup
Old 06-26-2017, 04:44 AM

Received 197 Likes on 138 Posts
Ed, wow really getting fancy. An all metal glovebox would be great.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Cory how much would you pay Ed for one? I think if enough of us do a group buy Ed could make some well earned money and buy more fabrication equipment, then sell us more stuff! 😁
Old 06-26-2017, 05:37 AM

Ed I will mail you a glovebox to tear apart and use as a template lmao
Old 06-26-2017, 07:55 PM

Thanks Cory. I never really thought about the glove box before, sounds like there might be a niche for one!
Cory how much would you pay Ed for one? I think if enough of us do a group buy Ed could make some well earned money and buy more fabrication equipment, then sell us more stuff! ��
Sounds good to me, lol!
Ed I will mail you a glovebox to tear apart and use as a template lmao
I'll take a look tomorrow. I have no problem using my glove box as a guinea pig, my interior is gutted already, one more part won't hurt anything, lol.

◆◆EDIT◆◆ Couldn't wait till tomorrow, lol...12 small screws and the glove box front panel can be removed. It looks like it would be easier to make the entire thing out of metal than trying to reattach the front plastic cover to a newer metal inner structure...

Last edited by rustED; 06-26-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
You have some great metal work going on there. It takes some skill just to get all of the details in picture to come out in the metal like it should. Great job on that and sure it takes a lot of patience.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 AM

Sign me up to buy a first EDition metal glovebox
Old 06-27-2017, 04:55 AM

Group buy idea sounds pretty cool to me. Ed do your investigation and let us know your ideas on glovebox.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:48 PM

Sign me up to buy a first EDition metal glovebox
Group buy idea sounds pretty cool to me. Ed do your investigation and let us know your ideas on glovebox.
Hey guys, a lot has been going on the last couple weeks that has been keeping me pretty busy. As some of you might already know Flg8r22 aka Tony has listed my cargo door panels on his website for sale (thanks again Tony!)...I also have the owner of another well known company interested in selling my cargo doors, along with just about anything I can make for first Gen 4runners. We're still figuring out the details but it looks promising. Anyway most of my spare time has been going towards making some prototype interior panels. I will probably have to put off the all metal glove box you guys were interested in for awhile until I get some,of these other panels figured out.

Here's a few pics of some door door panels I've been working on:

Factory door panel off an 86' pickup
Kind of copied the factory door panel's overall look, made a few changes but kept the basic design. I ran into a snag with the door handle plastic trim peice not fitting on my door panel because the sheet metal is so much thinner than the factory door panel, the plastic door handle trim sticks out way to far...have a couple ideas to make a new trim peice.
Im finding the limitations of my beadroller doing the door panels. I couldn't finish the center design because my beadroller doesnt have a large enough opening to make the turn in the middle off the door panel. I need to upgrade soon! I got a new toy! All the new panels will get the hardware plastic hardware replaced with nutcerts and stainless steel M6x1.00 button head allen bolts

Last edited by rustED; 07-22-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:06 AM

Ed, some really great work here, I love all your panels. Glad to see some more sellers picking up your work and very cool of Tony to be the original seller of your cargo doors. I'm really anxious to see what other ideas you come up with.

Some things I think would be cool just to plant seeds:

1. A hinged door on those tailgate panels. Since I have a soft top, I wouldn't mind pulling the motor and glass out of my tailgate. If I had a hinged door, I could maybe put other stuff inside there, like my tow straps, tree saver.
2. When/if you make the cargo area side panels, maybe some additional doors could be made to have better access to all that side panel room for storage. I normally shove things up in there from my pass side cargo door, like the canvas cover bag for my soft top is in there, and some extra engine belts are up in there, some bungee cords, a quart of oil, that 54mm axle socket, some rope, and probably a few other things.

And 2 more things that don't fit into your flat panel plan:
3. A roof mounted console. It can slide up under the rearview mirror and use its 3 mounted bolts, use the dome light mounted bolts/screws, and if it needs to it can extend back to the edge of the metal 4runner roof and maybe hook over that lip there. Just sayin, I would like something like this to store maps, sunglasses, maybe a ham radio, etc.
4. Your metal center console plus a shifter surround.

And the glovebox idea.

Great job so far Ed!