86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 87' 4Runner Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by liveoffroad
looks awesome ed, well done. We are under contract for our first home so i can't wait to get my garage setup now that i can call it my own
2 years ago i went through this process. Man what a feeling it is to get it behind you. Good luck and congrats
Old 05-02-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flg8r22
Ed, don't scrap that stuff. Autograph it and sell it as wall art at a market. The pneumatic bead rollers are tough to beat but your closing the gap. Would a spinner knob from an old tractor help with the cranking portion?
Hi Tony. Thats a good idea jsing the spinner knob off a tractor, I may try that! I didn't scrap the tailgate panel, I ended up practicing on it some more. I cut out the center where I messed up bead that ran down the center, then I made a new insert for it. I tried doing a diamond pattern, it didn't turn out half bad, I'm starting to get a little better. The hardest thing for me is to do is roll a longer straight line, even with the fence that I attached it is really easy to get off your straight edge. I tried having my wife turn the handle for me, and my son helped yesterday. but it's hard to anticipate how much force that they are going to use, it's really touchy and easy to move your work when your not trying to. I think part of the problem is I wasn't using a table. Today I rigged up a make shift table to help support the sheetmetal, it should help alot, and also reduce the amount of panel warp I'm getting.

^^^I was getting the diamond pattern down pretty good but since I didn't have a table attachment (at the time) the weight if the sheetmetal hanging unsupported caused it to have a bad curve (almost half circle). I tried straightening it but you can still see where its warped. The diamond pattern looks cool though, at certain angles it almost has a 3D look to the texture. I'm learning as I go!

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
looks awesome ed, well done. We are under contract for our first home so i can't wait to get my garage setup now that i can call it my own
Thanks buddy! That's awesome news about the house, congratulations! It's a great feeling being able to make a place "yours" and not having to get permission or answering to anyone. That will be sweet when you get your garage all setup!

Last edited by rustED; 05-02-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ed that's looks sweet. And sounds like the table will really help you. Maybe when you start running a bunch of similar parts a double fence type jig may help. Keep on keepin on!
Old 05-02-2017, 06:14 PM

Thanks Tony, I appreciate the encouragement. It can be frustrating at times, but also gratifying when something actually works out. I think the table will help alot too! Here a few more pics of some different style cargo doors I was practicing on. On one I tried to match the diamond pattern from the tailgate panel insert, the other is some dimpled speed holes.

I cut out a door panel...blank canvas

^^^Still trying to decide what to do on it, not sure if I should do some more diamond pattern on part of it or try something different...

Last edited by rustED; 05-02-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
those are looking great! now just glue some black speaker mesh to the back side of those speed holes to keep prying eyes from seeing whats inside.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
those are looking great! now just glue some black speaker mesh to the back side of those speed holes to keep prying eyes from seeing whats inside.
Thanks, I like the looks of the speed holes, that's a good idea using the speaker mesh!

I was messing around with the door panels, trying to come up with a design yesterday. Made this accent panel. It didnt quite turn out how I wanted, but gave me alot of ideas.

it's pretty impressive how much rigidity the holes and 90° bends add to the sheetmetal
Old 05-09-2017, 08:28 PM

Locking center console with cupholder 2.0

^^^ here is a pic of the first center console I built for my 86' 4runner a few years back
^^^ here is another pic of it when it was finished
for my new console I was used the old one as a template. Even though the new one will be taller and longer I wanted it to be compatable with the factory shifter console, (or what's left of it, lol)
my first console I built out of some 14 gauge. since im using left over 18 gauge for this one I wanted to add some strength to it so I built a frame out of some flat bar

I bought some goodies awhile back. Stainless steel cupholder and stainless latch/lock

Last edited by rustED; 05-09-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:29 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Ed - cool center console! I like it much better than my ammo can...I just can't work metal like you. I'd love to see how you plan to mount that latch.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Ed - cool center console! I like it much better than my ammo can...I just can't work metal like you. I'd love to see how you plan to mount that latch.
Thanks Cory, I thought your ammo can console turned out sweet! I hope to get back on my center console project pretty soon, I have a few other projects to complete first. I'm going to be making a set of rear cargo doors for liveoffroad, I'm still working on the design. I got some 20 gauge sheet metal finally. It's a lot easier to work with in the beadroller than the 18 gauge. I was practicing today, this is my first attempt at doing lettering, it came out pretty good for my first try. The important thing is I learned a few things while doing it, so hopefully I won't make the same mistakes on the next one!

Last edited by rustED; 06-12-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang dude that looks amazing! When you get everything where you want it, send me some pics and I will put them up on my website for sale. Can't wait til you start on the floor pans
Old 06-12-2017, 07:46 PM

Looks good Ed, started playing with my suspension stuff this week, going to be lots of metal work in my future.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:29 AM

Ed - those Teq doors are awesome!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by flg8r22
Dang dude that looks amazing! When you get everything where you want it, send me some pics and I will put them up on my website for sale. Can't wait til you start on the floor pans
Thanks Tony, that would be awesome for you to do that! I'very noticed improvements on each piece I've done lately. I would still like to motorized my bead roller to make it easier on myself, and I think it would improve the quality, also some new specialty dies would be nice.

Originally Posted by nvwiggins
Looks good Ed, started playing with my suspension stuff this week, going to be lots of metal work in my future.
Your 4runner is going to be awesome! Are you building the front suspension as a one off for your vehicle or is this going to be a kit that your going to be selling?
Ed - those Teq doors are awesome!
Thanks cory! Here's a couple pics of one I worked on today. I was thinking of doing a light diamond pattern in the background, fainter than the border outline, what do you guys think, try it or leave it as is?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:05 PM

Ed, wow those toyota logo ones are insane, love them!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Nice Job Ed!_
Old 06-13-2017, 09:55 PM

Initially I plan on just doing it all for myself, but if it turns out working well I don't see a problem with making it into a kit. It will all depend on how it works and what it would cost to make it into a kit.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You have some great metal working skills. Getting the logo in had to take some time and practice. Looks great.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 AM

Ed, wow those toyota logo ones are insane, love them!
Thanks Cory!
Originally Posted by dropzone
Nice Job Ed!_
Thanks Robb!
Originally Posted by Terrys87
You have some great metal working skills. Getting the logo in had to take some time and practice. Looks great.
Thanks Terry! I notice some improvements the last few practices pieces I did, my main problem is I need to be patient if you get in a hurry or try to take a short cut you'll make a mistake, lol.

Originally Posted by nvwiggins
Initially I plan on just doing it all for myself, but if it turns out working well I don't see a problem with making it into a kit. It will all depend on how it works and what it would cost to make it into a kit.
I hope it works well that would be sweet if you made a kit!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great, Ed!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by CamTom12
Looks great, Ed!
Thanks! I did a couple more, the first one is another cargo door, the second one is just a practice piece.