rustED's 87' 4Runner Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magnet18
Hope things are going alright for you!

Those are looking awesome!!
Super professional!
thanks man! I know we talked about doing one for your runner, I still can, but am in the process of moving, if you aren't in a hurry and can wait till the middle of June I should be able to get it done then.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Picture bump!

I hate it when all the pics get stuck on the previous page, lol!

Originally Posted by rustED
Thank you Habanero! I haven't started on his door panels yet, but should be here pretty soon.

So I haven't been on here in awhile, life has been crazy lately, I have been super busy and have a few life changes coming up in the next month or so, some good some bad. But anyway, I realize I haven't updated my thread in awhile. Figured I might as well put up some pics of some of my more recent work. Some of these I've posted on Instagram, so some of you might have already seen them. In the past I was doing the tailgate cover in 3 pieces, mainly to try to save people money in shipping, I was able to ship them in a large flat rate box, but after doing one in a one piece design I realized it wasn't saving that much in shipping cost and the 3 pieces design was more labor. (Cory I know we talked thru a pm, but if you see any tailgate covers in these pics that you like, or that give you some ideas let me know and I can incorporate it into yours).

And here are a few different door panels I've done.

Oops, Suzuki Samurai, ha, ha!
Did a guys Rocket logo in the center
70' Hilux pickup
89-95' pickup
79-83' pickup

Last edited by rustED; 05-11-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
thanks man! I know we talked about doing one for your runner, I still can, but am in the process of moving, if you aren't in a hurry and can wait till the middle of June I should be able to get it done then.
I feel ya, I've been super busy too! I was about 48 hours from moving to Florida then it fell through with my employer...

I did move into an airstream though, it's been getting all the attention from the truck, which needs a timing chain job...

Enough rambling, june will be great, hit me up when you get closer to starting!
Old 05-15-2018, 03:08 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Ed - I'd really like my tailgate panel to have this old school toyota logo on it if possible, maybe with a similar beading as you have on these door panels for some strength. Simple, clean, and Toyota is what I like. And by the way, all of your designs are work are really really impressive.

79-83' pickup
Old 05-15-2018, 06:17 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Yah... Can we buy one yet?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by magnet18
I feel ya, I've been super busy too! I was about 48 hours from moving to Florida then it fell through with my employer...

I did move into an airstream though, it's been getting all the attention from the truck, which needs a timing chain job...

Enough rambling, june will be great, hit me up when you get closer to starting!
Sorry to hear about the job falling through, that's rough, especially on such short notice and the fact that you were probably all packed up and ready to go. Those Airstream trailers are cool. I was looking for one to fix up and flip, but they are getting harder to find on the cheap, prices have really gone up in the last few years. I did inherit an old travel trailer that belong to my grandparents. It's a 1946 model, can't remember the name right now, but the outer shell is aluminum (didn't know that until recently because it had layers of paint on it) but I plan to strip it back down to bare aluminum and I need to gut the entire inside. Maybe a project for next year, lol. But yeah, I will let you know in June when I'm ready to start up again, thanks!

Originally Posted by coryc85
Ed - I'd really like my tailgate panel to have this old school toyota logo on it if possible, maybe with a similar beading as you have on these door panels for some strength. Simple, clean, and Toyota is what I like. And by the way, all of your designs are work are really really impressive.
Thanks Cory. I could do that old school logo, just wondering if it would be ok to do on a separate piece of 20gauge as an insert? The 20 gauge is easier to work with when doing the lettering. I could do the main tailgate out of 18 gauge for strength, and do the logo/insert out of 20 g. Kind of like the pic, only I'm thinking probably make the insert larger to include the beaded door panel design that you liked. Also if you don't care for the riveted look, automotive panel bonding adhesive could be used instead for a cleaner look.

Originally Posted by Gevo
Yah... Can we buy one yet?
Hi Gevo. I have sold them in the past off my FB page. I'm currently not taking any new orders until mid to late June. I can let you know when I'm starting up again, I'm just currently moving and getting settled into my new place. Thanks for your interest in these, and here is a link to my FB, I have some prices listed there: https://m.facebook.com/TOYOTAS.4.LIFE/?ref=bookmarks

Last edited by rustED; 05-16-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Great, I can wait till June. I have been meaning to change out the cargo door carpet covering with 1/2 white paint spill for months!

Looking forward to it
Old 01-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Any updates?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:24 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
+1, any updates?

Sorry to hear about the job falling through, that's rough, especially on such short notice and the fact that you were probably all packed up and ready to go. Those Airstream trailers are cool. I was looking for one to fix up and flip, but they are getting harder to find on the cheap, prices have really gone up in the last few years. I did inherit an old travel trailer that belong to my grandparents. It's a 1946 model, can't remember the name right now, but the outer shell is aluminum (didn't know that until recently because it had layers of paint on it) but I plan to strip it back down to bare aluminum and I need to gut the entire inside. Maybe a project for next year, lol. But yeah, I will let you know in June when I'm ready to start up again, thanks!
It'll all work out in the end, I've had more time to make upgrades
sounds like you've got an Argosy! They were an airstream sub brand for awhile, and generally higher quality than the airstreams themselves. It'll all be aluminum except for the upper endcaps, which will be steel. It could also be some other smaller company, there were a few that started and fizzled. Either way, airforums.com is where you'll find a bunch of knowledgeable help.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:11 AM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
Awesome thread! Very impressive panels! As a sheet metal worker I can appreciate how much work must go into them.

You've inspired me to get a little more creative with my next set of door panels and bumper ends. Thanks!