Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Infinity Kappa series speakers corssover hook-up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infinity Kappa series speakers crossover hook-up.

Hey, I am not sure what is going on with these speakers. I have not installed them yet and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? The Infinity Kappa series. They have an external crossover and I am not familiar with it. I called the manufacturer, who I am thinking is located off shore cause I couldnt understand them and they asked me to call back when their technicians are available. I guess I am supposed to know that too. Hmm. Anyways. Does anyone know if I just hook these crossovers up to the factory wiring or what? Or do I need a separate component to split the signal to the crossover. Pretty lost on this.

Also, I am assuming ONLY a 5 channel amp can run 2 front, 2 rear and a sub right? And, do I have to have a CAP?

THANKS!!

Last edited by pisc2bn; 04-13-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Ok, slow down, too many questions!! LOL!!

I have had the infinity kappa series components. Those and Boston acoustics are my Favs. Crossovers are fairly easy. One set of wires coming in from the music source, and 2 sets coming out, one to the tweet, one to the speak. If you don't have the paperwork on em that show which wire goes where you should be able to google the model number and get the pdf. directions that way.

Do you already have an AMP? If not, you can run them off your factory stereo, but you will have to cut the factory plug off the wires and hook those wires to the crossover.

And yes, a 5 channel amp will run 4 speaker and a sub. I currently have a 2 channel amp powering components up front, my rear speakers running off of deck power, and 2 subs off a 500 watt amp and I don't have a CAP. If you turn your stereo up and when the bass hits your lights all dim or it becomes really distorted, time to think about a CAP. Until then, probably a waste of money.

stereo>factory wires> crossover> new wires to each, tweet and speak. (no amp setup)

Or Stereo > RCA cables to amp > new speaker wires from amp to crossover, new wires to each. (amp setup)

Hope this helps!!

edit* k, found this....

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Ow...v14Mar2008.pdf

page 6 shows the wiring to the crossover. the +- wires are the signal wires coming from the amp or right from the stereo (no amp)

Last edited by kiyobrown; 04-12-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Ha Ha Ha....ya I know, lots of Q's. I talked to a Geek at Best Buy and I think I know what I am gonna do. I do not have an amp yet. I think I am gonna run a mono amp for the sub and the speakers off the head unit. He told me to try that first and if it was not enough, I can add an additional amp later. So, (5 Chan Amp) & (mono amp + 2/3/4 chan amp)=about same price. I am only pushing (1) 12" Kenwood 3012. Also I have the 4" and 5 1/4" Infinity Kappa's. My head is a Kenwood MP242. I dont want to blow out my windows, I am not competing with anyone and I dont want to be "that guy" who pisses the neighbors off when I am listening to my music.

Thanks for the guidance...I really didnt feel like ripping all my panels off to run audio cables. I am ok with running wires for the amp though. If I change my mind I know what I need to do. I was looking at the Kenwood KAC-9104D for the amp. For $150 I think that will do everything I need it to do. Also, if I want to add another 12", it will be able to handle it. Any suggestions for an AMP? Pros/Cons? Thanks again, glad there is someone who can give detailed experienced information!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I think that amp is a bit much for what you are trying to do. Looks like its 1&2 ohm stable at 900RMS. That is WAY more than enough. I AM "that guy" you speak of, my co-workers tell me I shake the foundation of the building when I leave. I'm only running 500rms watts.

Now those subs are rated at 300rms each. I would recommend (assuming you want to stick with kenwood) the KAC-8105D. It's 300rms at 4ohm mono. Which is perfect for your one sub. And if you want to go to two later it will run them both in 2ohm parallel at 500rms. No you dont need a cap. You will probably get some headlight dim running it with both subs on it but if it bothers you then throw an optima battery under the hood.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 PM

And which kappa components do you have?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't need a 5 channel amp at all. Your kappas are passively crossed over, AFTER amplification. All you need is one amp channel per side, the signal is amplified, and then passes through the crossover to the mid and tweeter. One channel for the sub, and another two for the fronts will be fine.

As for a cap, forget about it. They're a band-aid solution at best. If you're having dimming issues, upgrade the wiring in the truck first (Block to chassis, chassis to battery, alt to battery, battery to amp, amp to chassis). Everyone always runs big wires to the amp, and completely forgets about the grounds, or the alternator charging the battery. You should only EVER be dropping down to battery voltage (12.4v) on REALLY high drains from amps. If your dropping lower, it's a wiring issue.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Thanks for all the advice! Wow, I am glad there are people who know what the heck they are talking about. I have never done anything as far as car audio before. All great info. I went with the amp "toylocust" suggested. I am pretty excited about this install.

Thanks again!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by pisc2bn
Dude, thanks for the advice..."that guy" hahahaha. I have the Kappa 42.9i & 52.9i, for the front and rear respectively. I am pretty stoked about getting everything in this weekend. I was gonna run them off the head (Kenwood MP242). I wanted to stick with Kenwood cause im a tad ODC with some things. The sub has Kenwood across it and I want everything to look the same.

Also, what gauge wiring and fuse would be best? I head the larger the wire the better the signal. I was gonna go with a 10G and 30amp fuse, the 8G and 60amp is only $10 more but I'm not sure. Thanks again bro.

Do i need a patch cord also?
Ok I'm just going to reply here for anyone that is searching the same kind of stuff also if anyone else wants to add. Hope your okay with that.

Do you have a link to the speakers you bought? Im getting just IK's 2 way speakers like this. Those are not components, just 2-way speakers. Which would be perfect for you to run off the head unit without an amp. I actually have less for mids and highs than those. Honestly with that sub setup you don't need amped mids and highs especially with an aftermarket head unit powering them.

As for wire gauge I would go with 6ga (you could probably get by with 8). If you think you will go to the 2 sub setup later just get 4ga. It still tucks under the carpet just fine.

Now, wire size is pretty much an opinion. That^, is my opinion. I go with a thinker gauge than I most likely need. First of all for safety (no chance of burning up small wire) and second for sound quality. It IS possible to get an audible difference just upgrading wire size. Idk how I would describe it, maybe like the difference between premium and regular gas? Also most cheap ass shops will run cheap ass Chinese wire. It doesn't bend easily and its thinner than the gauge it says on it. I go with name brand wire, rockford is a good one. I usually spend about $100 on wiring for a sub amp of about 500 watts. This would probably work out good for you but make sure 17ft is enough to get where you want to go.

And patch cord? I dont know what you are referring to? Maybe an RCA cable?

If that's what you mean then yes you need one, and there is one in that kit i linked.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:03 AM

Ya, those IK's are the exact same ones I bought. Those and the 4" (42.9i) for the front. I found a vid on Crutchfield's site that was all on amp hook-up so I figured out that the patch cable is the RCA cable. Cool! So, wiring kit bought and now I am ready to install. I doubt I will get it by the weekend, so maybe the weekend after next I will get it going. Thanks again!!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 AM

i have a 5 channel amp 75 watt X 4 at 4ohm 125watts at 2 ohm and on the sub 400watts at 2ohm and 600 watts at 1ohm stable all are true rms rating
Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Yeah man you don't need to amp the speakers. You can if you want later though.

And that 5 channel must be a beast. What is it?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:51 AM

it a Directed D2205 same as the polk audio 5 channel and it more than 2 feet long
Old 04-14-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Holy crap, thats like the size of a 4 channel Boston Acoustics amp.

I used to have a 4 channel US Acoustics amp (The guy at Crutchfield said all their employees were running them at the time, the specs were ridiculous for the price) and a 2 channel for my sub (bridged) in my old Stolen 88 I was running Infinity Kappa everything and a 12" kappa perfect sub in it. Sounded great, still didn't need a CAP.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Yeah I remember that directed. That thing is a beast. IMO too big. I could package two smaller amps with better specs in a smaller place.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Forgive me for the basics of my question. I just want to know if I can take out my factory dash 4" speakers out of my 4Runner and plug the Infinity Kappa 42.9i directly into where the others are. Is it just a matter of unplugging 2 wires from the existing and plugging them into the Kappas?