The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

LC 70 Axle for a 2nd Gen SAS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LC 70 Axle for a 2nd Gen SAS?

Hello,

I was wondering if a Land Cruiser 70 axle can be used to SAS a 2nd gen 4Runner.

Here there aren't SFA 4Runners, only a few pick-ups in the Canary Islands so getting a front axle is difficult... LC 80 axles are too searched and too many expensive. The other day in a yard I saw a Land Cruiser 70 (LJ70), stock coiled, with Aisins...

Is it possible to do a SAS with that axle? It has the diff in the correct side I think, but I don't know if the wide will be ok with the rear axle.

A few pics of one LJ70:

Thanks,

David
Old 05-04-2005, 03:33 PM

measure the axle and find out. the rears on our Runners are 58" wide. even if it's too wide, you can still do it. you'll just need to setup a linked front or hack off the coil buckets and whatnot to run leafs. if you want the same, or simliar, width front and rear, why not pull the rear axle out the the LC70 too?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:21 AM

The LC70 exists also in leaf springs, it's the BJ70 or BJ73.

I thought that if I pick the control arms, panhard, etc of the LJ70 I could put a coil sprung axle in the 4Runner hehehe.

The width is measured from disc to disc? If I return to the yard I'll try to measure it.

Anyways it's a PITA to do a SAS here... First pay for the swap and then pay for an ingeneer and fight with the inspection... Near 2000$ plus the shap costs... Someday... (sigh)

David
Old 05-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

I know I will probably get flamed for saying this but why not just get a 70 series? It sounds like for the cost of the SAS you could sell your runner and put the money you were going to use to SAS it and get a 70?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:54 PM

Simply because I'll never sell my 4Runner. Since 10.5 years has been in my family and it will die with me hehehe. I love too much my truck.

Why you do SAS to your 2nd Gens instead of buying a SA 1st Gen? For the same reason I think...

Spanish 4x4 market is not like yours, you've very good prices and people values the mods and so, and here people thinks "Modded truck, it has been offroading, it's smashed" or thinks like that.

David
Old 05-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

I run a Landcruiser 70 front axle SAS with coils on the 4R for a few years now.
Looks like this when you are done;

The width of the LC axle is the same as the solid axle Hilux, which is 1410 mm. The 4R and Hilux IFS are 1520-1530mm. That's why I used 2 30mm spacers so my track WMS-WMS is now 1470mm.

The downside of a LC70 is that they are short and small which makes them nervous to drive at higher speeds.
A LC 70 rear axle cannot be used cause the diff is offset to the passenger side. It also uses the 8" diff so there is no gain. Except for OEM disc brakes and a locker maybe.

Where are you located in Spain?
Do they really know what kind of suspension you have underneath a 4R? I passed several inspections without problems.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:59 AM

Hey 4runner4ever, wanted to send you a PM and didn't remember your nick!

You've made me a bit more happy, I hope some day...

I live in Corbera, it's 20km from Barcelona.

I don't know it in the ITV would notice the swap... It's kinda lottery. They're very very stupids, a friend of mine has to return without the factory running boards because they said they weren't in the technical sheet, and like my 4Runner, running boards come from stock, 10 years ago!

I suppose I could do the swap and only do a engineer project for a lift (Coils+shocks) and this could probably be ok... But if they notice the swap they'll keep the the truck documents and put a clamp in it...

And I don't want to imagine what could happen if I have a serious accident, when insurance inspector notices the swap...

(Sigh) I'll have to continue dreaming... Or better, continue earning!

David

PS: Sweet pics, do you have more or a web site?
Old 05-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

About the same problems as over here. But I take the risk. Hope I dont get
Stupid inspectors over here also. Once one of these guys wanted to make a fuzz about the solid axle's on my Hilux. He said he never seen leaf springs on top of an axle so I must have done that myself he thought. Untill he checked the specs and saw it was OEM. He could not believe his eyes.

Last year I went to Roses for a quick holiday. I think I've been 5-6 times to Spain before. Lot's of Landcruisers over there. What are you'r laws about offroading? Is it allowed to go offroad or do you need permition. And what are the penalties for breaking the rules.
I think I'm going there again in a year or 2 I think. Do you know any good places for wheeling?
Old 05-07-2005, 02:17 PM

Each region has his own rules. Here in Catalonia there's a law that says you can't wheel in trails narrower than 4 meters but the law also sais that in 1995 all the trails must be signalized. The government hasn't signalized the most average of the trails so they cannot ˟˟˟˟˟ you if you aren't informed about the trail width with a signal... It's stupid hahahaha.
If they caught you out of the trail they can put you a penalty since 300€ to a lot more... You don't have to get permission unless you wheel in a natural park or if it's a big group (More than aprox. 10 trucks)

There are several places to wheel here, we don't use to do like americans, we've not big and known trails but more little and less known trails in bigger number. I use to wheel every time in a different place and very few times I've repeated a trail.

Let me know when you come here, I'd be pleased to wheel with you if you want

David

PS: What year is your Hilux? A friend of mine has a rare (Almost in Spain) double SA Hilux of 1996 with the 2.4 non-turbo diesel engine, lifted on 33's.

Last edited by Blizzard; 05-07-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Still better laws than over here. 4wheeling is only allowed on private land (which is scarce) and the forest'sare forbidden by law since a few years.
What's left isn't much so I wheel abroad mostly.

I sold the Hilux a few years back, short wheelbase single cab with 2LT, later a 13BT and even a Nissan Patrol engine. (I uised quit some engines)
The double cab was quit common in the Netherlands, since the new taxlaws they got very expensive and a lot of them were exported to Spain, Polen etc.

I'll keep you'r name in kind.