Arizona Arizona Chapter

Where to stay in Crown King on March 29-30, also where to meet

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Crown King on March 29-30, also where to meet

So Saturday March 29 meet at 8:30 AM and will pull out at 9:00AM sharp.

Meeting place is at the Castle Hot Springs road turnoff from 74. There is quite a bit of room on the right side of the road to que up.
GPS: 33.835034,-112.31544
Map here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...04989&t=h&z=18

And the Friday night campers could meet up with the group at the "old airstrip" parking area which is on the right after you turn on Crown King Road. This would be about 20 minutes from the above meeting point.
GPS: 33.936747,-112.323886
Map Here:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...09978&t=h&z=17

Once we get to Crown King the group will migrate over to the Saloon to see Ben's Band play that night.

Some people are staying in the rooms above the Saloon and others at the Bradshaw Mountain Guest Ranch. If you want to stay at the Saloon, tell the lady you know Ben in the band or she may want you to book two nights. That is how I ended up at the "fancy" place. Westfall got the lady to give out the Saloon rooms for one night. So it's your call, but we are not coming back after the run, we will be staying in Crown King for the night.

Here are the places to stay:

SALOON: www.crownkingsaloon.com

($50.00 a night)

RANCH: www.crownking.com/lodging.html

($100.00 a night with breakfast)

"IF" everyone is coherent Sunday morning and feeling up to it, we will run DeSoto Mine.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 03-13-2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

I'm old so I am going to stay at the Ranch, but there is camping in the area. If someone knows about that post up as well. I just don't have the info to pass along.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Who is Ben and what is the scoop with his band?

I'm leaning toward camping since that frees up some beer money. Never camped up there so I'm looking for info.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:04 PM

There's a lot of camping just south of town. Big open spaces with rock fire rings.
I think I'm leaning toward camping up there, but we'll see. It usually get pretty chilly at night. Any idea on how fast the rooms are going?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:16 PM

As of earlier today some rooms were still available at the Saloon. $50-60 depending on the room and # guests.

**I should also mention that if you plan to go to bed early, dont like noise, etc etc...then its probably not the best place to stay considering the rooms are right above the saloon and the party usually wanders upstairs.

Several of my friends and I have rooms booked at the saloon.

Last edited by westy44runner; 03-06-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 111db

I'm leaning toward camping since that frees up some beer money. Never camped up there so I'm looking for info.
Ben is my good friend, he used to wheel with us alot but hasn't been out lately. They play all kinds of music from classic rock-jazz-alternative...covers and originals. The Nervous Ones is the name of the band.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM

I'm going to try and make this run and either camp or get a hotel back in Phoenix (got other comments on Sunday). All depends on work since we just had a major change to the project I'm on (won't know until the time comes closer)
Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by westy44runner
Ben is my good friend, he used to wheel with us alot but hasn't been out lately. They play all kinds of music from classic rock-jazz-alternative...covers and originals. The Nervous Ones is the name of the band.
Sounds good. This should be fun.

Originally Posted by wormhole
I'm going to try and make this run and either camp or get a hotel back in Phoenix (got other comments on Sunday). All depends on work since we just had a major change to the project I'm on (won't know until the time comes closer)
If you need a couch to crash on that night, just let me know.

Originally Posted by 111db

Camping would be cool, but I don't want to drive after a couple of adult beverages. Maybe we can find a spot a short walk away... I know of spots a mile away, but not sure about ones closer.
The ol whore house up stairs is a great place to stay though!

I think the door would fall of the hinges if you lean on them, but they got lots a locks!

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
I'm old so I am going to stay at the Ranch, but there is camping in the area. If someone knows about that post up as well. I just don't have the info to pass along.
Where is the ranch at. Across from the creak? I don't think I've seen it before.

Last edited by SOAZtim; 03-06-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Ranch is the place across the creek. Should be nice and quite.

Because I'm old.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Ranch is the place across the creek. Should be nice and quite.

Because I'm old.
You aren't that old because if you are then that means I am old also.

I think I just confused myself.

Last edited by Bighead; 03-07-2008 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

I guess I am not that old. I still do dumb things sometimes.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

If getting old means I'd stop doing dumb things... I'll never age.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

You and me both.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=SOAZtim;50771759]Sounds good. This should be fun.

Camping would be cool, but I don't want to drive after a couple of adult beverages. Maybe we can find a spot a short walk away... I know of spots a mile away, but not sure about ones closer.
The ol whore house up stairs is a great place to stay though!

I think the door would fall of the hinges if you lean on them, but they got lots a locks!

QUOTE]

Well last time we were there we had no shortage of a good time. Haha yeah those rooms are a trip huh. Those locks dont do much when the window above the door has no locks on it...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 PM

Two things.

First, an not really important, is that I will not be camping at Crown King. Staying at the ranch instead. I will still be camping Friday night at Lake Pleasant though if anyone cares to join.

Second, I receive this notice today at work:

To all ADOT employees, please share this information with your family, friends and colleagues.

Traveler Alert: Drivers urged to plan for extra travel time this weekend while Interstate 17 is closed at Carefree Highway (State Route 74) for bridge demolition work.

Construction crews will tear down the old Carefree Highway bridge over I-17 to make room for a new, wider bridge already under construction and additional lanes on I-17. The bridge project is one part of a multi-year I-17 improvement effort by ADOT and the Federal Highway Administration.

To ensure the safety of the traveling public during the bridge demolition, I-17 will be closed at Carefree Highway from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (March 17). I-17 drivers will be detoured along the exit and entrance ramps at the Carefree Highway interchange.

Traffic signals will be adjusted to allow freeway traffic to travel along the interchange ramps as quickly as possible. Arizona Department of Public Safety officers will be on-site to help keep traffic moving through the intersection. However, drivers are encouraged to consider alternate routes when possible and expect heavy delays approaching the construction area.

Closure information will be available by calling 5-1-1, visiting www.az511.gov or calling our construction hotline 480.890.3055.

The $19.6 million I-17/Carefree Highway reconstruction project will provide a modern interchange with room for additional lanes on I-17. ADOT recognizes the importance I-17 serves to connect the Valley and Northern Arizona. The Carefree Highway bridge demolition is a major milestone in the series of projects to improve I-17. Carefree Highway traffic was recently moved to the first half of the new bridge over I-17. Once the adjacent old bridge is removed this weekend, crews will build the remainder of the new Carefree Highway bridge. The entire project is scheduled for completion this fall.

Drivers can visit ADOT’s Interstate 17 Web page at www.azdot.gov/ValleyFreeways for the times and locations of planned restrictions and closures on I-17 and to sign up for ADOT’s I-17 weekly e-mail traffic alerts and podcasts.

In light of this, I'm guessing that on the 29th, there may be a possibility of closure of the I-17 overpass at SR 74. Steve, you may want to think about having a different place to meet. I know there's a lot of stuff being built at Lake Pleasant Highway and Happy Valley Road. There's a Circle K a little to the south of this and another gas station to the east. Just a suggestion. It'd suck to have everyone up there and then have to find another way around.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Good idea on re-organizing the meeting spot. We will definitely want to meet somewhere other than I17/Carefree HWY.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:57 PM

Crossing my fingers that I'll make this run.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:12 PM

I spoke further with some folks over at ADOT and they don't anticipate any further closures at I-17/SR 74. This doesn't rule-out closures elsewhere on I-17 or restrictions at the intersection. In fact you can count on restrictions in the future.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Let's figure out a new spot, I don't know of any, so let's hear some suggestions.

Pick a place that will ensure we can all get to the trail head.

I will then update the first post.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Why not just meet at the Castle Hot Springs road turnoff from 74? There is quite a bit of room on the right side of the road to que up.
GPS: 33.835034,-112.31544
Map here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...04989&t=h&z=18

And the Friday night campers could meet up with the group at the "old airstrip" parking area which is on the right after you turn on Crown King Road. This would be about 20 minutes from the above meeting point.
GPS: 33.936747,-112.323886
Map Here:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...09978&t=h&z=17

Last edited by toy_tek; 03-12-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Where to stay in Crown King on March 29-30, also where to meet