Arizona Arizona Chapter

Where to stay in Crown King on March 29-30, also where to meet

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 111db
Where does Desoto start/end? What kind of time does it take? If we went all the way through would it be feasible to get back near CK again in the evening to stay up there? I've got no reason to be home saturday night, but don't know if I wanna hang out in CK all day since the band thing isn't happening.
It starts maybe 30 minutes outside CK, all 2WD dirt road after CK to the trail head. It would be possible to head back up to CK when done, but you'd have to drive from Cleator all the way back up to CK. All 2WD dirt road. Fast... but a really long day.

DeSoto is a technical trail, but nothing like Miner's.

When the FJ Team/ Group went... it took like 6 hours. When I went back alone, the trail took maybe 2.5 hours. So, really rough guess... 4 hours after CK to complete DeSoto?

Others should chime in with their guesses as I could be way off.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvota

, I'd be happy to lead anyone interested in hitting the CK back road on Saturday, and then just continuing on to DeSoto... getting home late Saturday night.

Crown King is what I'm coming up from Yuma for
Old 03-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

I have no intention to change the plans. I will be doing what has been posted all along.

We are going to Crown King, spending the night and coming back Sunday. If you don't want to do that, skip it.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Where does Desoto start/end? What kind of time does it take? If we went all the way through would it be feasible to get back near CK again in the evening to stay up there? I've got no reason to be home saturday night, but don't know if I wanna hang out in CK all day since the band thing isn't happening.
The band not playing will hardly dampen anything. It didn't last time. You'll see.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
The band not playing will hardly dampen anything. It didn't last time. You'll see.
Yes, but do you have a date!? I'm going stag to see if I can pick up some strange.
Is this a highschool dance or something? That would be hilarious.

"apparently Crown King saloon double booked both the band and a Sadie Hawkins dance event and they cannot do both at once."

I'm still down. We can do everything as planned Friday, Saturday, and then Saturday evening we drink a beer at the saloon before the dance and then some of us will go and camp, some of us will head out the back way through Cleator or my favorite Minnehaha Flat and head home.

Danica and I need to be somewhere Sunday morning at 8 so we'll either camp and get up EARLY or take one of the back roads home Sat afternoon/night. I'm just going with the flow and I'll be prepared to do either. Don't matter to me.

If someone wants me to lead the trip home through either direction I'd be happy to. Minnehaha has some good mine ruins, buildings, old trucks and tractors to see.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

I'm still down.

My buddy Grady won't make it, his mom is having a pig roast on Saturday. Last year they did a 150 lb pig, it ruled.

I may or may not stay the night, I would like to get back for the pig roast, but if I start at the bar, I will have to find a nice big pile of pine needles to sleep in.

I have a sweet fu-man-chu all the chicks will dig, Tim I'm your wing man
Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 PM

Tim are you guys camping Friday night??

How long is the trail??
Old 03-21-2008, 01:17 PM

we're still goin'. Camping Friday night at Pleasant and got a room at the guest ranch in CK for Saturday night.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Last time we went, we were in CK by 1:00 PM I think, It was about 4.5 hours on the trail. It has taken me closer to 6 hours though...

Depends on traffic and how nutty people want to get with the bypass routes
Old 03-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
Last time we went, we were in CK by 1:00 PM I think, It was about 4.5 hours on the trail. It has taken me closer to 6 hours though...

Depends on traffic and how nutty people want to get with the bypass routes
What you said.

Its unpredictable. I've gotten it done on dirt bike is just over an hour and in my 4runner somewhere near 3 hours alone. Factor in traffic and it will be somewhere between 4 and 10 hours.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

I will be there by myself, I don't see why people are baling out, yeah sure the band is not playing but it will still be a good time. Last time there was no band and it was a lot of fun.

I am leaning on bringing the red truck, it's that kind of trail. If not the 4Runner.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Where is Mark on this one?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Who's bailing out? I'm camping friday and saturday as planned. Just considering an additional Desoto run on saturday. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I might be tired of sitting behind the wheel by the time we get to CK and be looking to finish all their beer reserves. Who knows. Maybe I'll bring my guitar and I'll be the band.

Anybody heard from Blknblue? Mike are you in?
Old 03-22-2008, 05:33 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I'll be there and staying over Sat night and then running Desoto on Sunday if some people are still up for it.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZ4ME
I was wondering the same thing. I'll be there and staying over Sat night and then running Desoto on Sunday if some people are still up for it.
Aw shucks... Your concern is heartwarming. Yes I'm in. I didn't post as I was a little iffy until last week. I had arranged for this w/e off then forgot to request next w/e off. Had to wait for the schedule to come out to see what was what. I'm probably too late for a room so I expect to camp. Who's camping?

I'm interested in DeSoto too as I haven't been yet. Hopefully we don't get too polluted in CK to go. Spent the day putting the spiffy on BLKNBLU. (as much as he can get spiffy) He still had Elvis and Woodpecker all over him. Also, did my first touch up on the sliders and SS bumper. Holy... were those things ever worth it.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going up to crown king next weekend with a few friends. if you guys can post up whatever route you guys make to crown king that has some decent wheeling let me know! im looking for some pretty easy, but not flat gravel paths. Ill have my tacoma and my friend is bringing is stock 08 tundra with an LSD..

GO TO fire observatory #2..it has an AWESOME view. Its probably about 15 miles away from town. towards the end theres a section thats gated off that you cant drive on..its about 2 miles after that i think.

there are some good campgrounds a little over 7 miles away from town right up the road.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

I know the CK run has been planned and set for the entire weekend for some time now, and I am not looking to change that plan... however....

.... I was wondering if anyone else with time constraints would be interested in running CK and then straight through to DeSoto all on Saturday.

The reason I ask is that I am not able to camp Friday, or stay over in CK Saturday night.

I wouldn't mind heading up with everyone, but am looking to do more than just CK and then back home on the 2WD roads back to the HWY on Saturday.

Just figured there might be others looking to run DeSoto even if they can't make the whole weekend.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

I know the CK run has been planned and set for the entire weekend for some time now, and I am not looking to change that plan... however....

.... I was wondering if anyone else with time constraints would be interested in running CK and then straight through to DeSoto all on Saturday.

The reason I ask is that I am not able to camp Friday, or stay over in CK Saturday night.

I wouldn't mind heading up with everyone, but am looking to do more than just CK and then back home on the 2WD roads back to the HWY on Saturday.

Just figured there might be others looking to run DeSoto even if they can't make the whole weekend.
I'll play it by ear. (what the hell does that mean anyway...)
Since we need to be back in Phoenix at 8am Sunday, we may tag along with you on desoto or just a leisurely drive back through cleator or minnehaha HAHA!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:59 AM

Hopefully we'll see ya on this one before you have to start working weekends. BTW, I like the new avitar.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AZ4ME
BTW, I like the new avitar.
Thanks Brian... makes me laugh as well.

I start work Sunday, thus the time restriction. I am not really sure what to do about the run. I don't really just want to run CK and then go home an easy way.... and not sure about running DeSoto alone. I'll figure something out.

Anyone know the I-17 situation? Still going to be a lot of traffic? What about getting back into town on Saturday or Sunday?

Quick Reply: Where to stay in Crown King on March 29-30, also where to meet