Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wormhole
Yes, sir.

I didn't notice. It was too dark.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
I like the idea of the log corral run, but have to admit that depending on time of day/ gas tank/ stomach/ heat etc. there would be a good chance of me wussing out at crunch time. I'll play it by ear and at least bring extra food and a full cell phone charge. I expect I would be OK with fuel.
Exactly... just throwing out the idea so those that might can be prepared if it comes together that way. I really like Log Corral, especially with the route all the way to Bartlett... but we'll have to see about time and mood.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:43 PM

Hopefully, you guys don't change anything since I'm just heading out and won't have computer access.

Tommorrow
Old 07-13-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok, Steve, now you can post the REAL meeting spot.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Hopefully, you guys don't change anything since I'm just heading out and won't have computer access.

Tommorrow
We'll all be there, don't worry.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:43 PM
JGM

Steve R - I will be at the meeting spot at or before 8. I will check in, and move ahead. The old "F" doesn't like hills and I want a headstart to the trailhead.

I have plans tomorrow evening, so I am out after Sunflower. Log Corral is a run I have not yet done, though, so I am interested the next time people tackle it!

Last edited by JGM; 07-13-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Okay Josh... no problem... although my 3.0 doesn't set any speed records either.

I am not really counting on doing Log Corral, but thought it might be an option since Sunflower is in the area. I am sure we'll do it again sometime soon if not this Saturday.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:04 PM

Hey All,

As I was posting up to say I was going on this run.....I finally woke up and realized I was about a day off. New baby in the house and not having worked for about two weeks now.....I'm a bit out of wack. Guess I'll have to catch the next one.

I'm going to be setting up another Sunflower run in early august with some folks on TTORA. I'll Post up here so you folks can come along as well!!

Jeff

Last edited by mpltclark; 07-14-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the good run today. Wasn't as hot as I thought it would have been... even without AC. Was interesting to see almost every generation Toyota represented and how each handles the terrain with various mods.

Was good to see a couple new AZ guys out there, hopefully more can make it next time.

Log Corral went well after. 111db cleaned the waterfall section, as well as rest of the trail, without a single tug!! That with fully open diffs!! It might have taken a few extra line adjustments here and there, but impressive none the less.

A huge (maybe 6' plus in diameter) cottonwood has fallen across Log Corral trail since we last ran it 7/3. That added some confusion, but we got it figured out. I think the Verde was a little deeper than last as well... but not to bad.

So... what run is next?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:55 PM

Thank, you guys for putting up with me today. Hopefully. I wasn't any trouble. Thanks Steve for getting me though those two spots. I reached my limit with my nerves on those two areas and I knew when to call it quits. Thanks.
Also, thank you Steve for giving me a tug though those few spots going up that last hill. Everyone, else thanks it was a good time and it was nice to meet you all. I was surpised at how all the vehicles did.

I learned a few things today.

1. Patience is a virtue.
2. Correct tire placement, along with picking a good line
3. A lockers comes in handy, to bad I don't have one yet.
4. A stock 4runner does pretty good built ones do better
5. Steve's little red truck does awesome
6. Spotters really help
7. Time to experiment with different waxes to help with those dang pin stripes (yes, I'm anal about my paint, but it's too late now. Oh, well )

Some pictures:

Old 07-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Wormhole... glad you had a good time out there. I know this group has taught me a lot as well.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like a good time. Is that up near Gisela (sp?)?? I used to go swimming up there when I lived in Mesa.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:06 AM

Whats it like there in the winter? I have been talking it over with members of of our club and they all seem game for a ride up in December or January.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota
So... what run is next?
When you get a traction bar made and I get those ARB's plumbed and we'll make it count.

Lower Terminator?

There are alot more out there. If you want summer wheeling, Smiley Face would be good again for the less heat factor.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Marc P
Looks like a good time. Is that up near Gisela (sp?)?? I used to go swimming up there when I lived in Mesa.
No that's a different place, not that far away, but not the same place.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

7. Time to experiment with different waxes to help with those dang pin stripes (yes, I'm anal about my paint, but it's too late now. Oh, well )
Just find a post where Corey posted and click on the Detailing link in his signature. All that Griots stuff will get the scratches right out.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Just find a post where Corey posted and click on the Detailing link in his signature. All that Griots stuff will get the scratches right out.

Ok!

That little red truck of yours did awesome. I was really surpised.

Next, time I'm over that way for a run. I'll probable just ride along with someone to see how they do it. (experience behind the wheel is better I know)

I know a few picutres of my 4runner were taken. Could you please send those to me, who ever has them.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks Steve for the guiding light. Had a great time yesterday! Nice meeting everybody as well.

I learned a few things too:
1. AZ consistantly has amazing views and trails to explore
2. Stock gas tank skids might as well be made from tin foil. (Steve S, any ideas??)
3. Large rocks make nice wheels look like not-so-nice wheels. Quickly.
4. Budbuilts are invaluable on large rocks.
5. Patience and persistence pay off.
6. I need to carry a bigger axe. (Thanks Kent!)
7. For an open diff truck, the balance of braking and momentum (as well as line) is the key to tackle the rough spots.
8. Elvota likes to go fast!

Thanks again everybody!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 111db
2. Stock gas tank skids might as well be made from tin foil. (Steve S, any ideas??)
I can make you a custom one, but it will be expensive. You can look at the one on my 4Runner, it is indestructible. I have it down no doubt about that.

The problem with this part is that it is extremely complex with all those legs hitting specific points. Everyone and there brother has claimed they were going to make one and yet nothing is ever offered.

I can make you a winner, but it is a very time consuming part to make. As for a product, the market will not support the time involved to produce it.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:22 AM

Hey Everybody, thanks for the great time! It was great to hang out and meet you all! I really appreciated all of your advice and help with spotting yesterday. There were definitely a couple of scary spots for me in my stock 4r and I am glad you were all there to help me get through them. I think the biggest lesson I came away with here is the importance of traction. The rear lockers had helped me "float" over obstacles in the past but I still had quite a hard time with all the loose rock on that uphill climb.

I don't think I would want to try this kind of run again without some armoring though. I'd like to keep my 4R pretty much stock for now ($$). Any thoughts about putting together some easier runs for us stock lightweights?

Also, I was trying to put up a couple of pix but can't seem to get them looking good after sizing it to something the system will accept. Ah well, I'll try again later.

Thanks again y'all!

-willy

Quick Reply: Sunflower... the must do run