Arizona Arizona Chapter

Sunflower... the must do run

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Seems like we are going to have a great turnout for this run. Some Sunflower veterans and newbies...
Old 07-03-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be there but I'm just gonna ride with Steve or Kent. I just got the truck back from the body shop and it looks so purdy now.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AZ4ME
I'll be there but I'm just gonna ride with Steve or Kent. I just got the truck back from the body shop and it looks so purdy now.
Nice!! Betting that feels good to have things back to normal. Now on to project "Dedicated Trail"
Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Just made my hotel reservation.

I didn't feel like leaving at 5 in morning on saturday, so I'd fiqured I'd come over after work that Friday night.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, my locker install went smoothly, so I'm in. Looks like lots of new gear on this run!!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Reminder bump for this weekend.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

I did not get the time or the fittings to hook the ARB's up in the buggy, so I can bring the 4Runner or the Red Truck. What do you guys want to see?

Red truck has 28" tires, 4Runner has a front Dana 44 axle and rear leafs.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:41 AM

red ryder
Old 07-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Bring 28 Red... Vegas roulette style...

This run thread has gotten a pretty big response. I am hopeful we'll get a big turnout. For those of you that may be on the fence with this being a new run, I really hope you make it out.

There will be enough experience to spot everyone and the pace is very relaxed. Would be good to see a wide range of Toyota vehicles and skill levels.

Plus... if a little truck with 28" tires can make it....
Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 AM
JGM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
I did not get the time or the fittings to hook the ARB's up in the buggy, so I can bring the 4Runner or the Red Truck. What do you guys want to see?

Red truck has 28" tires, 4Runner has a front Dana 44 axle and rear leafs.
What? Those are my choices? What about the quad with Pokemon gear? What about the Vespa?

BTW - Sarah is out - she's traveling. I am planning on being there in the Stinky truck.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM

Bring Red.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by wormhole
I'd be game but it would have to be a saturday for me. Here's another idea what about wrenching on our vehicles the weekend before the run. Hopefully, I'll have sliders by then, for some extra security .

Are your sliders weld ons, or bolt ons? I have a welder if you need welding.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, the Mighty 28's it is.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by azredliner
Are your sliders weld ons, or bolt ons? I have a welder if you need welding.
Thanks for the offer Chris but they are welded on already.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Just had a brainstorm... but remember my brain doesn't work all that well.

I know this is late notice, but this won't effect existing plans at all. The plan is to still run Sunflower, meeting at 8:00 as stated in opening post. I just wanted to throw it out there so if there was any interest, people could be prepared.

Westy, Wongo and I ran the Log Corral trail from Bartlett the other night. We started at around 7:00 PM, so just after fording the Verde it started to get dark. There was a narrow, eroded bit of trail just after the Verde, but the rest was simple enough... besides the end of Log Corral where it gets more technical.

For those who have not run it, Log Corral is a more difficult trail, rated a 3.5. Sunflower is a 3.0 for comparison. However, once past the first waterfall/ ledge section, it gets considerably easier. That said, the waterfall would not be considered "simple" by most peoples standards. Keep in mind, the directions I am giving here are the opposite way we ran it the other night, since we started from Bartlett and not HWY87. So, waterfall/ ledge... easier... very easy... narrow eroded section.... Verde ford... easy home. I am making this confusing I know.

Here is a pretty good explanation of trail ratings:

And a good writeup on Log Corral:

I was thinking it might be an option to hit Sunflower trail as planned, and then those who are interested can run Log Corral, across the Verde and back into Scottsdale via the Carefree area instead of returning to town via HWY87.

This of course would be a full day of wheeling, with no place to really refill fuel or food between both runs. There is no way that Log Corral would be completed in the daylight. If we have a large group at Sunflower, encounter traffic or technical problems... I wouldn't imagine it happening either.

Anyway, I'll check the water level of the Verde before heading out to Sunflower on Saturday to see if it would even be possible. Like I said, this idea won't change the planned run at all. If there is no interest, then Log Corral will be skipped completely. No one in the group will be required to run Log Corral... it would be completely optional. If you might want to give it a try, be sure you bring enough gear to be on the trail until well into the night just in case you want to go.

Maybe not the best idea... but it's out there now. We don't have to make any decision until we are off Sunflower trail and access the time and interest.

See you all Saturday.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 PM

I might be up for that. Got a rider coming along, will check his schedule. Would you anticipate needing extra fuel?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure about fuel... obviously a concern.

My 2nd Gen has a small tank, thirsty engine and big tires... so my overall range is probably going to be the smallest.

If it seems like some might be willing to think about Log Corral, I'll probably bring a few extra gallons to be safe. I don't think a 3rd gen would have any issue though. I don't think combined mileage would be that high. Just the regular low trail MPG might use more gas than usual.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by wormhole
Thanks for the offer Chris but they are welded on already.
Did you have them on for the night run Saturday?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by azredliner
Did you have them on for the night run Saturday?

Yes, sir.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the idea of the log corral run, but have to admit that depending on time of day/ gas tank/ stomach/ heat etc. there would be a good chance of me wussing out at crunch time. I'll play it by ear and at least bring extra food and a full cell phone charge. I expect I would be OK with fuel.

Quick Reply: Sunflower... the must do run