Arizona Arizona Chapter

Sunflower... the must do run

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sunflower... the must do run

UPDATE: This run has been finalized. We'll be meeting at Arby's @ Shea and Beeline, 8 AM, Saturday 7/14. PM me if you would like directions.

From Red Creek last weekend I understood that many had yet to do Sunflower Mine trail which is off the Beeline Hwy before Mt Ord. I was surprised to find out it would be a new trail for most. It's really one of the most scenic and fun local trails I have done. There are some challenges, but nothing this group couldn't handle.

I'd like to start getting a run organized. I am thinking possible June 30, July 1 or July 7/8. I have no preference, either a Saturday or Sunday run would be fine. It might be possible for all or parts of the group to turn this into a camping trip. I will be doing a one day, but could easily guide everyone through to the 2WD exit road and give direction as to what I know of the area for camping. The next day, it would be easy for the remaining group to follow the 2WD road back to the hwy and then home.

Here are some pictures of the first mine building:

It's huge and mostly standing. Lot's too look at, explore. I also know of an alternative route that's different from the way most go. This secondary exit allows us to visit a second mine building few know of that is in similiar condition. It's the same distance and difficulty as the standard exit some of you may already be familiar with.

The trail itself:

This is probably one of the harder sections. There are two obstacles once in the creek that take some thought. I have seen stock, unarmored, open diff vehicles make it through with good spotting and a few attempts. 33's and sliders would be nice, but not required.

It's an all day run with a good place for lunch in the middle. I think kids would enjoy it. Dogs might as well, but it will probably be on the hot side that time of year. The creek itself is shaded, but both entry and exit will be mostly in the sun. There generally is no or very little water in the creek. There is a minimal distance of "easy" road at each end... this trail gets right to the fun stuff.

Generally, meeting place is the Arby's or similiar where Shea meets up with the BeeLine. I am thinking around 8:00. I know it's a bit early, but with the heat will make for a nicer day overall.

Last edited by Elvota; 06-17-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been wanting to do this trail for sooo long!

unfortunately, the only date that would work for me is the 8th. My parents are going to be here from the 29th till the 7th.

I'm definately gonna be watching this one cuz I don't want to miss out again!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Love to do it... but weekend of 7th is out for me. Vegas baby... 7-7-07. Well I hope my friend is luckier with this wedding than the previous two...haha.

If it ends up a different weekend, we will consider camping if anyone else is up for it.

Edit: can't do 29th... 30th ok.

Last edited by toy_tek; 06-12-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be in for the run any Thurs, Fri or Sat, I work Sundays. Newe gears and a locker in the 4runner this week. She's getting ready to open up new terrain. I'll keep a wathful eye on this thread.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 PM

I'd be game but it would have to be a saturday for me. Here's another idea what about wrenching on our vehicles the weekend before the run. Hopefully, I'll have sliders by then, for some extra security .
Old 06-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

I can't do it the weekend after 4 of july. I'll be in baja from the 3rd to the 8th.
I'll do it the weekend before or after though. This trip is a pretty short one compared to some.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

So... it seems that a Saturday run is preferred. Forgot about the 4th of July and such.

How about Saturday, July 14th?

Seems like that would give everyone time to work on rigs/ loose parents/ win millions in Vegas/ get over colds and not have to work.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If I win big I'll bring a handfull of new FJ's for everyone to take home. Wish me luck.

PS: that weekend looks the best so far for me.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Ooooohh sweeeeeeet.... I'll take a blue one, no maybe silver... would the yellow get old too quick?? Man, that's gonna be a tough choice for me to make.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
Ooooohh sweeeeeeet.... I'll take a blue one, no maybe silver... would the yellow get old too quick?? Man, that's gonna be a tough choice for me to make.
I will check if we have both kids that weekend. I will let the wife know to get out of work that day! I would love to hit this run!

Count me in for at least 2 people!

John

P.S. I will take a SOLAR YELLOW FJ BTW!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Even I can make it on that day. Kent needs to test out the Tacoma after we re-did the steering and suspension. If I can find a way to get it up there, I'll even bring the buggy.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Even I can make it on that day. Kent needs to test out the Tacoma after we re-did the steering and suspension. If I can find a way to get it up there, I'll even bring the buggy.
Nice... I'd love to see the Tacoma and the Buggy working the kinks out. Or maybe bring the ol' 28'r out and show us how it's done.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

It will either be the buggy or the 28's. That way it will be fun for me too.

Wongo needs to test the thing out so we can place the bump stops. I need to see how it work first though.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:41 PM

So... it seems that a Saturday run is preferred. Forgot about the 4th of July and such.

How about Saturday, July 14th?

Seems like that would give everyone time to work on rigs/ loose parents/ win millions in Vegas/ get over colds and not have to work.
That sounds good to me. I just need to know where to meet up since I'd be coming from yuma.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
It will either be the buggy or the 28's. That way it will be fun for me too.

Wongo needs to test the thing out so we can place the bump stops. I need to see how it work first though.
Hopefully the Alcans will be here by then.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:42 PM

The 14th works for me.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wooo Hooo!!! I can make the 14th!!

I don't have much to do to the rig, my parents will be gone, I'll still be broke cuz I ain't going to Vegas (oh, and I'll take a TRD FJ by the way) hopefully I won't have a cold, AND I don't work weekends!!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:58 PM

I want to see Wongo's new truck and that buggy when they hit the trail. If I am available that day and there is a passenger seat open I am there.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Okay... so we'll make July 14th the solid date.

We'll figure out the exact meeting time and place when we get a little closer.

Westy, I'll have an extra seat, but can't guarantee it will be the front one. My favorite co-driver may be taking that place.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Here's some more shots of Sunflower to get everyone pumped up.
This is the first obstacle and it has an alternate route.
I tried this line first. (locker would have done it!)

Then this one worked

Same obstacle on the way out.

Elvota, I've never gone through the whole loop. I say we do it. I think you were planning on doing the full loop correct?

Quick Reply: Sunflower... the must do run