North Carolina North Carolina Chapter

Just bought an '89 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought an '89 Runner

I live in PA at the moment, but am moving to OBX, NC very soon. I have a 2000 Tundra I'm selling so I can build a trail rig. What's up!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome

What are the stats on your 89?
v6 or 22re?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

have you already planned out what you want to do to the truck ? Welcome to the club, we're always glad to have new memebers
Old 05-11-2004, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Amocat00
I live in PA at the moment, but am moving to OBX, NC very soon. I have a 2000 Tundra I'm selling so I can build a trail rig. What's up!
Ahh.. Nags Head. I used to live in Kill Devil Hills. I miss it there. I'm jelious of you moving there.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome aboard!

Another west coast-er. I'm sure will will be excited since Mike is headed up to asheville this summer. If you'll be around this summer you'll have to head out to one of our meets and get a decal from... yours truly! Check out or website in any of our signatures. Order a decal and get your page put up!

ps, jer... I just found the envelope with your set of decals. Sorry, but it seems you have forgotten too since you haven't been bugging me either. I'll try and get some stamps tomorrow. I have to go develop film after this gps mapping software finishes loading and it get to play for a min .
Old 05-12-2004, 05:39 PM

It's sadly NOT an SR5 and it's the 22RE. Totally stock, red, red top, frame and body in GREAT shape. Inside/interior not so great, but easily fixed. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do to it, but I've been milling over an SAS. I figure I'll get settled at the OBX and decide what I NEED from there. If I were staying in PA, I'd definitely go SAS b/c I love rock crawling. Up here, I'm a member of a couple clubs: www.tundrasolutions.com , www.pennstate4x4.com , and my favorite, the one I'm going to miss big time, is www.keystonekrawlers.com . They've been and continue to be a huge help to me. The best off-road club ever...so far anyway. Here are pictures of my Tundra: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photo...00/ppuser/6057

Yeah, I'll definitely go wheeling with you guys...as often as possible. And, when I did my search, I found your 4RocNC site. I think I emailed somebody about it...

Thanks.

Shawn
Old 05-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, I just had a huge reply for you... but I'm at a friend's and he needs his computer to write a paper. Hold tight, your in the club, and I think you'll be plesently surprised! I like your rig, and I'm sorry to hear you had to let her go, but oh well... your in the runner family now!!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome, if your thinking SAS you'll do it. There's no way once you start thinking about it, you've been bit and it's all down hill from there. I sold my 96' LTD Runner for and 85' Runner just to have the solid axel. Can't wait to meet you and hit the trails sometime soon. Once all of our rigs are done we need to hit Tellico, you'll have plenty of rocks to keep your happy there.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Amocat00
It's sadly NOT an SR5 and it's the 22RE. Totally stock, red, red top, frame and body in GREAT shape. Inside/interior not so great, but easily fixed. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do to it, but I've been milling over an SAS. I figure I'll get settled at the OBX and decide what I NEED from there. If I were staying in PA, I'd definitely go SAS b/c I love rock crawling. Up here, I'm a member of a couple clubs: www.tundrasolutions.com , www.pennstate4x4.com , and my favorite, the one I'm going to miss big time, is www.keystonekrawlers.com . They've been and continue to be a huge help to me. The best off-road club ever...so far anyway. Here are pictures of my Tundra: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photo...00/ppuser/6057

Yeah, I'll definitely go wheeling with you guys...as often as possible. And, when I did my search, I found your 4RocNC site. I think I emailed somebody about it...

Thanks.

Shawn
well the good thing is that there arre enough people on this board to get that 22re in shape with just a few mods.
me and Mikeys87 have been doing it for a couple of years now, (learning as we go). Now we both have some pretty reliable and powerful motors.
If you need any help let us know, we will be happy to help, especially if it takes ME to the outer banks!
Old 05-14-2004, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by seaflea
well the good thing is that there arre enough people on this board to get that 22re in shape with just a few mods.
me and Mikeys87 have been doing it for a couple of years now, (learning as we go). Now we both have some pretty reliable and powerful motors.
If you need any help let us know, we will be happy to help, especially if it takes ME to the outer banks!
I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get. This is the first vehicle I've bought specifically to build up. I'm selling a 2000 Tundra that I modified, but nothing major. I'm not even sure which order to go in or which direction to go w/ the Runner. I'm getting it tuned up and inspected on Saturday, which is a start. I probably won't get into anything major until mid June or July, when I'm settled at the OBX. Thanks.

Shawn
Old 05-14-2004, 03:10 PM

When I bought it, there were no front seat belts. I got those put in yesterday. Also, the windshield was cracked. Had the auto glass guy here to replace it today, but it's rusting underneath the metal stripping, so he couldn't/wouldn't replace it. So, now it goes to the body shop Monday to get that fixed first, then the windshield put in, then to be inspected (was supposed to be inspected tomorrow, but not w/o a windshield)...so it'll have to wait until next Saturday. I start my job in NC on Monday and will be there (Ahoskie and Murfreesboro) until Thursday, then home for long weekend. I just want it inspected for now, then I'll deal w/ all the issues once I get SETTLED in NC, not now!!!

Last edited by Amocat00; 05-14-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Wow! I just replaced my windshield (after a bit of body work) so I know what you are going through.
I replaced at least 8" of the pillar on the passenger side and 3-4" on the drivers side. The roof also had a couple of holes in it. It was a lot of work but we finished (the front half at least) the back half has a bit of rust in it too and we will be starting that in a couple of weeks
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Just bought an '89 Runner-pillar.jpg  
Old 05-15-2004, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by seaflea
Wow! I just replaced my windshield (after a bit of body work) so I know what you are going through.
I replaced at least 8" of the pillar on the passenger side and 3-4" on the drivers side. The roof also had a couple of holes in it. It was a lot of work but we finished (the front half at least) the back half has a bit of rust in it too and we will be starting that in a couple of weeks
Good luck
Geez, when it rains I get a small drip/leek coming from under that little rubber peice around the windsheild. I'm scared to death that it is going to look like that in some way . How much would a body shop charge do do something like that, I'm not a body work kind of guy?
Old 05-15-2004, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Stump1883
Geez, when it rains I get a small drip/leek coming from under that little rubber peice around the windsheild. I'm scared to death that it is going to look like that in some way . How much would a body shop charge do do something like that, I'm not a body work kind of guy?
If you're getting a drip, you better have it checked/fixed before it gets TOO bad.

Anywhere from $200-500 is expected, but it depends on where you live and how "perfect" you want it done. I just want mine to pass inspection and not leak, so I'm going with the $300 estimate... We'll see what happens.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:15 AM

Finally got some pics for you folks:
141,000 miles. $2300, what do you all think? I bought it in Newark, NJ and drove it 3 hours home to central PA, no problem!

I had to get the rust around the windshield fixed and the windshield replaced, I removed the ugly aluminum-like chrome rear bumper, changed the oil, changed the spark plugs, got it inspected. The body and frame are in great shape, just very minimal surface rust. I then drove it from central PA to North Carolina for work. It's running great, no indication of any leaks. As soon as I get settled in down here, let the mods begin!
Old 06-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet,
That thing looks like its in great shape! Reminds me of my dad's ol' big read 89 SR5. You should head over to 4roc.org and get an account over there too. I'm trying to move everyone over there. Its a cool site and we can keep our 4Roc bla bla more private and out of YT's hair.

Then there is one thing... did you put those APC decals on ther or did they come with them? Just curious...
Old 06-05-2004, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
Sweet,
That thing looks like its in great shape! Reminds me of my dad's ol' big read 89 SR5. You should head over to 4roc.org and get an account over there too. I'm trying to move everyone over there. Its a cool site and we can keep our 4Roc bla bla more private and out of YT's hair.

Then there is one thing... did you put those APC decals on ther or did they come with them? Just curious...
Yeah, it's in good shape, especially outside. The interior has much to be desired though... I am already on 4Roc.org also. I think I found that site first, actually...

And NO, I didn't put those fugly decals on there. They'll be off as soon as I get a chance!
Old 06-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

That thing is beautiful...
I am looking for an old 1st gen myself (as well as a 1975-81 FJ-40..but who isn't)
It is so hard to find one in nice shape..people ran the hell out of them (as well they should right)

Great job picking her out and I am sure the little things the you found will be over looked later Damn Nice I must say again.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

phphphphphew, whenever I see APC stickers all i can think is... Wow, you think autozone as a performance shop