Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you carry on the trail?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you carry on the trail?

Well...when I wheeled my Jeep, i carried all sorts of parts. Between me and the other 4 jeep guys, we could practically rebuild a jeep on the trail. now im the ONLY Toyota. I have an 86 Pickup. 4:10 gears, IFS and on 33 inch A/Ts. I plan on running 35s real soon. What should I be looking to carry on the trail as far as parts? I have most of the tools i need. I just pikced up a rear axle with 4:10s. Should I carry the third member incase i bust the rear third? Im just unsure...What about parts for IFS. Any help would be GREAT!
Old 09-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
this has been covered a lot and some people will chime in with a lot more but definitely make sure you have all your fluids and some space CVs would be good too. i think the third is overboard but if you have it, may as well bring it.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

I carry a spare alternator, water pump, clutch slave cylinder, fluids, different sized hoses, some wire selections, a drill (and 800w power inverter to run it), scraps of steel to fab up things that might break, lots of spare bolts/nuts/washers. A spare battery or jumper pack is always good too. And flippen carry some form of communication other than your cell. Get a CB or do the right thing and get your ham license and invest in a nice rig... being able to talk over a few hundred miles is a life saver.

A buddy is doing a SAS currently and I already claimed his front CV's, driveshafts, axle shafts, and locking hubs. Don't know how much I'll carry on most trips, but I know when I'm doing a week long tour through the Death Valley back country this december, most of those spare parts will be with me.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beer, Water, Bug Spray --went wheeling this week and all the jeeps broke--mine didnt. Thats not to say my time isnt coming soon though. Eventually i will probably put together a kit like the "Death Valley Crusader" and glues/loctite/Gorrilla Tape--used it to lessen a hose leak--stuff is crazy strong. Spare clothes for those butt pucker hills and maybe first aid kit.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hross14
Beer, Water, Bug Spray --went wheeling this week and all the jeeps broke--mine didnt. Thats not to say my time isnt coming soon though. Eventually i will probably put together a kit like the "Death Valley Crusader" and glues/loctite/Gorrilla Tape--used it to lessen a hose leak--stuff is crazy strong. Spare clothes for those butt pucker hills and maybe first aid kit.
Ditto on the first aid kit. Got my First Aid and CPR from Red Cross a year or so ago. CPR is probably expired by now, but it's good to know. Extra potable water and some food like granola bars or something is always good to carry even when you aren't wheeling. Never know when an emergency will arise.

Super glue and that tape that bonds to itself (used a lot in the radio world) is crazy strong. I carry a couple small rolls of that stuff. You can seal radiator hoses for good with it. Haven't played with Gorilla tape, it might be as strong.

Oh, and gasket sealant. Always carry some and make sure it was sealed entirely the last time it was used :-P

Last edited by JoKEpLaYeR; 09-05-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x2 for search

As for parts - if it can leave you stranded, you need to have a plan.

A spare third is not a bad idea, but won't be necessary unless you're wheeling some REALLY extreme stuff, and then for the money it will cost to have one setup to match, you could maybe do a full floater conversion on the rear axle and have more options.

Definitely a CV. I also carry a complete tie rod assembly and some hard brake line - things that are easy to fix if you have the parts, pretty damn tough to fix if you don't.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 AM

Have a complete spare front end off an 86 pickup if your interested. Check my thread "Parting Out 86 Pickup"

I personally carry, 2 highlifter jacks (for come alongs), a Chevy Scissor Jack!! (has helped more than anything else I have!!), spare tire, complete tool sets, along with a bag of electrical/zip ties/tape, couple hammers of all sizes, bunch of different flashlights.. ALL fluids and enough for a complete change, including Oil and filter, (for water logging) funnel, spare hoses, safety glasses, coat and pants, lighters, matches (part of a complete survival kit), first aid..

Beer, glow in the dark football (OLD but AWESOME when waiting around at night), collapsible golf toss game, and a bottle of Dr. Mint.

Plus other junk I cant remember. It all (but jacks and spares) fits in a On the Box, type tool box in the back of my truck or behind my seats.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:46 PM

don't want to be a smart azz but seems like 35" tires and 4.10 gears don't mix. i don't have any firsthand experience on this combo but from what i red on this forum, you will be having a hard time going anywhere off-road with it because of lack of power.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:02 PM

Yea^^ if i had a 22re. I run a Buick 3800 with a cam, MSD ignition,headers and dual exhuast. I need to put this in my signature..so people know what I actually have in my rig