Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

toyota full floating rear conversion

Old 11-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota full floating rear conversion

i have a 1982 toyota with a 87 rear axle. im considering going to a full floating conversion from Front Range Off Road Fabrication. with disc brakes. i was wondering if anyone has used this and what their thoughts on this conversion is. or if i should just get chromoly shafts and a rear disc break conversion and keep semi floating axles. and thought would be nice. the good and the bad.

thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it is spendy but if I had the money I would do it in a heart beat..with the full float if you break an axle, you can still get home. semi float/stock, you break it, hope you are carrying a spare.
Plus an advantage is being able to safely flat tow the truck, just unlock all 4 hubs.
flat towing the truck in the stock configuration does not allow the TC to get lubed properly if you still have the rear D/S in...plus you run the risk of trashing your case....ask me how I know..it was an expensive lesson
Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
One of the best mods I ever did on my Toyota.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 PM

ok well i think i will start saving a bit. sounds like thats the route i'll go with. got the wifes ok to rebuild the toyota how i want it.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM

looked at the front range kit on their website...looks like a pretty good deal, but it mentioned the customer needing to supply a good number of items...factory hubs and factory locking hubs from an 80-85 axle, stock 79-85 front spindles (WHY???), PLUS loaded calipers from an early supra (79-81)....seems like a lot of crap you need to add to the package, most of which is pretty hard to come by. Why do you need front spindles??
Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dixiemuddtoy
looked at the front range kit on their website...looks like a pretty good deal, but it mentioned the customer needing to supply a good number of items...factory hubs and factory locking hubs from an 80-85 axle, stock 79-85 front spindles (WHY???), PLUS loaded calipers from an early supra (79-81)....seems like a lot of crap you need to add to the package, most of which is pretty hard to come by. Why do you need front spindles??
you can buy a full kit(chunks) for these also with spindles brakes and all, but it's expensive for those. the spindles are used to hold the front hub with an inner and outer wheel bearings to support the weight. they also make a kit that uses stock front strait axle brakes calipers and rotors on the rear but eliminates the e-brake. if you have a front axle for parts then you could use them on this kit and use something like a t-case brake.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dixiemuddtoy
Full floater floats in/on the spindle housed wheel bearings. You need basically another front axle from the knuckle out.

You can use drive flanges and vented rotors with Toyota calipers. Supra ones are a waste IMO.

Lots of other options as to how this can be done.

One of the best mods you can do on a Toyota wheeler.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-14-2010, 04:21 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
is it possible to retain rear drums or do you definitely have to convert to disc? I am gonna assume the ladder.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 AM

this is bad news for me. the more i learn, the more i spend. my wish list is so long; im not even sure where to start anymore.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
is it possible to retain rear drums or do you definitely have to convert to disc? I am gonna assume the ladder.
pretty sure you need to go to disc. If you are spending this much $$$ to do the full float conversion a few more bucks for discs isn't bad. If you are going full floater you are probably running bigger tires and you might has well be able to stop that rolling mass better...

I would love to do this conversion...flat towing with out a driveline disconnect would be nice..
Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Suppose you could round up one of the old 2WD 1-ton rear dually axles and modify it to work. Full floating, drum/parking brake + 8" 3rd member.

I think the f/f conversion kits all pre-suppose discs, would be a lot of extra effort to fit drums to the f/f spindle. I did the Supra calipers (ordered loaded rebuilt units) to get the integrated e-brake.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM

Okay, so if I convert my rear axle to a Full Floater, that will mean I will need to service the hubs just like the front ones (every time I go through water) right? I HATE HATE HATE repacking my hubs and I've only had problems with them so far. I've had to replace my front bearings twice in the last year. I'd just like to know what the actual pro's of converting to an FF are over just using the 4340 chromoly semi floater shafts (besides being able to limp around on the trail, flat tow, increase load capacity, and convert to disc brakes). I'd like to convert to rear disc brakes, but not so sure about having non-sealed bearings in the back now, too.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

FF basically uses front hub parts in back. Must have something going on with your front hubs, though. I've never had any water get into mine, make sure all the seals are intact and in good condition and it should be fine. Also, the rear won't have the rear seals/wipers for the steering knuckle ball, so it is a little better sealed on the back side.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I agree with 4crawler, sounds like your hub gaskets or something are leaking etc etc, because the front hubs are sealed they are not open to any water at all. If that were the case, then I'd be in some trouble with the amount of mud etc etc I go though.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:51 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
4crawler, what year supra brakes did you use, part number? Did you use FROR conversion? I looked on your site but I didn't see the info.
Thx
Old 12-30-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've been drooling over this set up for a long while. Spendy but lot of benefits to having it.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 AM

Anyone here think the toyota axles are too narrow to run 37's and that I should go to full size axles like FJ80 with a Dana 60 rear? Or is anyone running 37's without problems on their toyota pickup/4runner axles?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thread jack!! yes 37s are very common on yota axles. i think guys name was volcom on here, but he was runnin 40s. IMO you shoudl worry a little more about strength then width. another option is longs
Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBX
4crawler, what year supra brakes did you use, part number? Did you use FROR conversion? I looked on your site but I didn't see the info.
Thx
Didn't really do a writeup on the axle, I used this writeup:
- http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/fullfloater/

I think I ordered a pair of loaded rear calipers from an early '80s Supra and yes, I used the FROR kit set up for the Supra brakes. I plumbed the brakes a little different:

Still working out the e-brake cable setup. Have to run the cable over the top of the springs and u-bolt/spring plate.

And I added some Aisin hubs (originally used the FJ80 flanges) w/ the ARP hub stud kit and Longfield hub gears:

Overall shot:

Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-31-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for you guys that don't do that SERIOUS wheeling, there are some calipers from an early '80s toyota car that allow you to retain the e-brake with an ordinary disc conversion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: toyota full floating rear conversion