Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snorkel Craze: use em or loose em?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this thread is really old but i thought id post this here rather then starting a new one. How does the snorkel filter out all the dust in the air? Is there a filter inside the snorkel itself? Also, how does it keep water out of going straight into your motor? I guess my knowledge of the internal workings of a snorkel are limited.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, how could I have missed this older thread?
I ran a snorkel on the old rig, and will be putting one on the new rig when I get time.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a snorkel for looks.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

I personally like Coreys snorkel the best..

So what keeps dirt and water out of your engine when running a snorkel? Is there something inside the snorkel itself?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I run an internal snorkel:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#Phase-II

Soon to be external, with a right hand side Safari shorkel.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kyle95sr5
I know this thread is really old but i thought id post this here rather then starting a new one. How does the snorkel filter out all the dust in the air? Is there a filter inside the snorkel itself? Also, how does it keep water out of going straight into your motor? I guess my knowledge of the internal workings of a snorkel are limited.
There are no "internal workings", unless you have some sort of fancy pre-cleaner (most don't). It's just a tube that relocates where the air enters your intake at.

There's no filter. Your stock filter continues doing the filtration duties. But, relocating the intake with the snorkel can help to reduce the amount of dust taken in simply by virtue of it's new position.

The same for water. There is no mechanism to keep out water, except the new location of the intake is higher/different where it's less likely to take water in. If you dunk it, it will still ingest water.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

So when its raining, the snorkel just sucks in water? ARB website talks about using a evactuation system to get rid of rain and unwanted moisture. Does anyone up here have a problem using their snorkel when its raining?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
kyle, check out post #37, i asked the same thing
Old 12-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

hmmmm...guess whatever water that would happen to get in isnt enough to matter in the long run.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

there is a system in the head to keep moisture like that out and its part of the snorkel head design. someone showed me a diagram of it but i forget where that is. if anything did manage to get all the way down, the filter would most likely stop it enough. also, dust tends to settle low against the ground so by raising your intake, you are exposed to cleaner air with less dust
Old 12-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

well that settles it, thanks man!
Old 12-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

heres an excerpt i found:

One of the common questions about the Snorkel is "won't rainwater go inside the Snorkel while driving?". We can assure you that this isn't an issue.

Even in a torrential downpour, only a small amount of the impact moisture will enter the front of the snorkel. Most rain droplets are broken up as they impact on the special grill cross ribs.

The high speed of the air stream, as it turns the 90 degree corner in order to enter the Safari snorkel, causes the heavier rain droplets to move to the outside surfaces. Here the rain is collected in the expanded lower body of the Safari air ram (outside the Safari snorkel body) and channeled to the outside of the snorkel, via the drain slots.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

also a little thing on heavy dust:

If you operate your vehicle in severely dusty conditions, then you should consider the additional fitment of a Pre-Cleaner. Air enters the round chamber and the dust particles are separated by centrifugal force. The dirt settles in the bottom of the outside chamber of the Pre-Cleaner while your vehicle has a steady supply of clean air.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:03 AM

I don't have one, but I'll build one soon. i went through an overflowed creek a couple years ago and got through it fine, but nearly hydrolocked on the way back. the idiot at the other side of the bridge/flooded land told me "oh yeah, you GOTTA go fast, you need momentum!!!" I had NEVER put my truck in 4WD until that night/morning, and assumed he knew what he was talking about. Of course, i thought to myself..."why??? we went slow crossing the 'river' and made it fine, besides, I have a V6, 4WD low, and i'm on pavement. Not to mention the fact that i've heard toyota V6 cooling fans like to throw water on the distributor and short out."
so when I crossed i floored it, sprayed water up everywhere off my bumper, etc. when it died, the water was just below the bottom seal of my door but further down on the passenger side. By the time the tow truck driver and I pulled EVERY bit of 250' of cable he had from his truck on dry land and strapped it to my frame/bumper, the water was about 8" above the bottom of my door. And thank GOD I didn't hydro lock it, but I did shoot lots of H2O out the spark plug holes with my friend, and after a local 4WD shop told me, "you'l never figure out the problem, you need a scanner for that!"...truck would only run for 5 seconds...I replaced the shorted out relay in the passenger kick panel by the ECU and all was good.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:30 AM

I want to put one on my 4Runner, with a dobinson style cyclonic precleaner (salad bowl).

this is more for dirt and dusty conditions out here in the deserts of Utah, rather than water crossings (I've never done a water crossing that would warrant a snorkel).
Old 12-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

I dont run one, but should. I have hit water before that was deep enough to cause the engine to "cough." I changed all fluids after that - but water crossing are fun, and who wants to have to think twice about driving their truck through a good 4 feet of water!? honestly.

I wish toyota offered an option on their trucks for water crossings, an actual useable off-road option - extended diffs, tranny, xfer, intake all from the factory -that would be a hell of alot better than a TuRD sticker and Bilsteins dammit. It would probably cost less than a set of 4 billies for them to do that anyway.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
I wish toyota offered an option on their trucks for water crossings, an actual useable off-road option - extended diffs, tranny, xfer, intake all from the factory -that would be a hell of alot better than a TuRD sticker and Bilsteins dammit. It would probably cost less than a set of 4 billies for them to do that anyway.
They do, but you gotta buy brand new like I did.
See topic # 9, 2nd thumbnail
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f135/fj-cruiser-facts-98707/
Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 PM

bump =)

Was looking at Safari's. Kinda pricey
Old 02-17-2007, 07:14 PM

im gonna use exhaust tubing and build a snorkle. im gonna replace all straight parts with the metal and leave the rubber bends, then im gonna use a K&N adapter plate after the mafs and send up exhaust tubing to the top of the engine bay with a scoop or louver. (im still debating the scoop idea)
Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 PM

If you have a 4Runner and you have to order the intake tubing for a Tacoma, will you still be able to run a deckplate mod so that you dont have to use the snorkel for driving everywhere?

Quick Reply: Snorkel Craze: use em or loose em?