Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snorkel Craze: use em or loose em?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985 4Runner
Don't have one. But now I wonder exactly how to go about putting one on a carbed V-8. I think they definitely serve a valuable function.

Some sort of ram-air system, maybe a large center hood scoop into a sealed intake line? Or if you're using a Rocket V8-style (olds 305 comes to mind) filter and intake, you can attach the snorkel tube to the intake tube. On my Cutlass we routed PVC heat-bended to that tube from below the bumper to give it a type of cold-air intake. Some flex tubing could go a long way.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:39 AM

I put an internal one in the day after I got back form THIS I missed the line by literally 3ft and came about 1 second away form hydrolocking the motor. This was the 7th or 8th of about 15 water crossing that trip and every other one wasn't above the headlights...

As for the noise and such, I just do the deckplate and rag thing. Honestly it isn't that much louder than just the deckplate (at least with the magnaflow).
Old 04-07-2006, 09:08 PM

Hey, here's one- those of you that made your own, where did you get the intake piece that looks like a safari snorkel? I did a google search but couldn't come up with anything.

4Hummer, I'm looking at you!
Old 04-07-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4x4connection.com, Turd.

Lamm
Old 04-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

No Snorkel, Original Motor.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/Rubicon_Trail_002.jpg
Old 04-07-2006, 10:04 PM

What if you had run into a depression under that murky water Steve?

Or, if you are like most of us, and had less lift and smaller tires?

Lamm
Old 04-07-2006, 10:12 PM

I gots one. Haven't had to use it for a while though. I've kinda been out of four wheeling.

I think I was like the 2nd or 3rd 3rd gen to do this back in the day! heh,heh
Old 04-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
What if you had run into a depression under that murky water Steve?

Or, if you are like most of us, and had less lift and smaller tires?

Lamm
Well we sent Stubbs through first. Never go into water you don't know what is under it and I do have big tires and 5" of lift. If I had less, I would have looked for a bypass.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
4x4connection.com, Turd.

Lamm

You da man! :thumbup:
Old 04-08-2006, 09:20 AM

Many people argue that instead of decreasing ingested trail dust, they actually increase your particulate intake.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spindleshanks
Many people argue that instead of decreasing ingested trail dust, they actually increase your particulate intake.
Not even a contest for me.

Before the snorkel, a normal weekend of summer wheeling included an air filter cleaning at the end if I wanted any performance on the way to work Monday.

After the snorkel, my filter is still mostly black and fresh at the end of the same weekend.

Not just a noticable decrease in particulate intake, but a HUGE difference.

I have heard the same from several others I wheel with.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

With the system I have in my rig, it reduces the intake of dust.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

If you think about it logically, while you can see a lot of dust go into the air, there is much more as you get lower to the ground. This is because even though the lighter material gets higher, it can also be low to the ground. The heavier material can't get as high. This means you have more paticulate matter as you get lower to the ground (as there is both light and heavy material).
Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
this is making me want a snorkel more and more...
Old 04-11-2006, 12:27 AM

If you can manage to get an Airflow hat it will be cheaper.

Here the Safari hat is near 120$ and the Airflow like 60$...

Since I've my snorkel my filter don't gets so dirty (K&N) and eliminating the intake resonator has been the best performance increase in my truck, a 3.0 Turbo Diesel sucks a lot of air, if it flows nice it revs a lot better.

David
Old 04-11-2006, 11:23 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Well we sent Stubbs through first. Never go into water you don't know what is under it and I do have big tires and 5" of lift. If I had less, I would have looked for a bypass.
Reminds me of that line from Indiana Jones:
"Oooh - asps - very dangerous. You go first."
Old 04-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
does having a snorkel not increase the small water intake from heavy rain and such? in heavy rain the stock intake is sheltered by the fender, but cant the snorkel catch some of that and suck it in? i geuss its a negligible amount though...
Old 04-15-2006, 10:21 PM

According to ARB the intake head filters out water with air preassure.

Lamm
Old 04-16-2006, 03:23 AM

Gentlemen, Let me tell you a story,,,,

Bear with me here.
Up here in the GWN (that's Great White North) when it does thaw, many of our trails require water crossings. I would often have to cross this tiny little creek - 10 ft. across and 1.5 ft. deep, never a poblem....Untill.
After a week of rain and some time for the water levels to drop, I decided to head out across that same creek and up my fav. trail. Unfortunately I didn't realize the rain had caused the banks to erode and made the channel alot deeper. When I dropped in, the water rolled up the hood to the base of the windshield of my '86 Toy P/U. I paniced and stomped the throttle but, in doing so caused the motor to suck up a big gulp of water and engine stalled out.
Before it died the truck managed to crawl up the far bank enough that the engine and cab were out of the water but the rest of the driveline was under water. I Hiked out, got a pull, towed it home and started to change out all the oils and re-grease everything. That was when I realized I had hydraliced the motor (filled the cylinders with water). Pulled the sparkplugs, changed the oil/filter, cranked the engine over a few times to get the water out. Put the truck up on blocks, fresh oils in the driveline new oil/filter for the engine, replace the plugs start the engine and run it in gear (4 wheel) for a min. Drainied all the oils again, I then used oil safe waterdisplacer (idustrial WD40 from CAT) and ran it in gear again for a min. Drain and relace the oil/filter and run it in gear again, and repeat. I probably changed the oils another 8 times in the next 1000 kms,,,,but to no avail.
After about 3000kms the #4 piston rod went with a bang, literally, and you could reach through the block from one side to the other the holes were so big. The #3 and #2 rods were also bent from being hydraliced. At 4500 Kms I had to replace the rear U-joints, 5000 kms and the rear end went and at 7000 kms I sold it before the transfercase exploded.

Moral of the story, All of this could have been avoided If I had only had a snorkle :pat: (that includes all the breathers on the diffs and tranny/transfercase)
Old 04-18-2006, 02:29 AM

Two friends of mine have hydrolocked their V6 4Runners in the past month...

V6 2nd Gens have the intake lower than the diesel ones...

David

Quick Reply: Snorkel Craze: use em or loose em?