Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snorkel Craze: use em or loose em?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Figured since this thread was some inspiration... I should post up pics before I destroy it this coming weekend!

88 runner - intake right behind the headlight - half done (that's 3" abs btw)

Final product - note fender doesn't quite fit right anymore - had to 'massage' it around the 3" pipe, but it works for me

Not happy with the grill - going hunting for a replacement.

I'm sure I'll have some some pics of water over the hood by the time this weekends over
Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be running a snorkle on my rig, why? Because try as I might to avoid it I always find myself in deep water. Not to mention I blew the motor in my last rig because of hydrolock.

It's a smart thing to do and building it out of ABS will mean it's cheap.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 AM

thank the smoke gods i found this website! Awesome!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Those of you WITH snorkels, did you further waterproof the electronics in your bay? Or are you just figuring that if you go in that deep it will be short enough not to cause major damage?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:59 AM

Those with petrol engines (Not me hehehe) need to silicone-spray the rotor cap and spark plug cables.

It mustn't be fun when the engine stops in the middle of a water cross and you see the water coming from your doors...

David
Old 05-07-2007, 01:12 PM

Dielectric grease is your friend...

Distributor - Though some will RTV them shut - the factory toyota cover (that rubber flap thing) seems to do a decent enough job from what I saw this weekend.

Alternator however... Well turns out that's something I'm going to have to look further into - as mine packed it in after this weekends fun.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You only need a snorkel if you drive like this guy...

Follow me:
Old 05-07-2007, 01:24 PM

Seal the Oil Dipstick..

How Do I Know.. Look at the waterline INSIDE the Truck, The water level is ABOVE the hood in that pic.

Trust me water gets in, water also gets into the Dissy, and everything else. My air filter at least stayed dry, however adding a Snorkle does not make a toyota a submarine.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Well I'd appreciate if folks could post pics of the dielectric grease on the components!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:29 PM

Do snorkles reverse the effect of a high flow aire cleaner and tubing?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:46 PM

dielectric on components - wouldn't be much to take a picture of - open up all connectors, clean - add dielectric reassemble.

I'm gonna keep my .02 on these "HP improving" intakes to myself to avoid a flamewar. Basic answer - depends on size of tubing, long runs of small diameter with many bends will restrict airflow.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
Those of you WITH snorkels, did you further waterproof the electronics in your bay? Or are you just figuring that if you go in that deep it will be short enough not to cause major damage?
Depends on the vehicle.
Being carb'd I don't have much in the way of electronics. I use dielectric grease on every signal electrical connection though.

4Hummer is right though, water can find a way in. Don't be a show off.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Elvota
You only need a snorkel if you drive like this guy...

Follow me:
I love that the wipers are going as he comes out of the water! Yep that'll help you see as you're 5ft underwater
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 AM

i wish i'd forked out the $400 for a snorkel before I hydrolocked my engine in water that wasn't even as high as my bumper, causing a $6000 rebuild.
I'd been through water before and been lucky, and my dizzy etc all seems to be fine (got a mate with a cruiser whos dizzy packs it in when any water gets in the engine bay).

However the low intake, hitting at hig revs (3500) just sucks in litres of water. conrods were so bent I couldn't even hand crank the motor over to spit the water out. got tower back to a main road and a very expensive tow home.

since I have got my car sorted I cant help myself and already took it through some water and almost killed it again. shouldn't have I know but I'm addicted to mud.

I will be buying a snorkel in the next few weeks to use. i don't care what it looks like, every mod on my truck apart from the stickers is for a reason, to go harder and further off road.

SNORKELS FTW! Cheapest insurance you can get! seal your dizzy (a rubber glove with the fingers cut off helps).
Seal your airbox. spray whatever electrics you can. diff breathers. tranny and gearbox breathers (altho my valves on the breathers work ok, didn't have any mud in even after sitting in water for 10 minutes, others dont).

Don't risk it with water....its way to expensive to fix.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HOLY THREAD REVIVAL!!!

I plan on building one....later....when time permits.... too much time on the job lately.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:23 PM

I like Blizzard's snorkel, it looks really good. I have seen a lot of eyesore snorkels. At this point in time I do very little wheeling where I would need one, but after college when I can wheel more often I may very well build myself a snorkel
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM

haha yea this is a old thread. cool revival. you could do build a nice looking one for $100 or less. I think I have something about how I did mine on my build thread... dont remember.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM

I built my own, ordered the head off E-bay, the rest of the parts I got from Lowes...

I made the air box out of an old cookie tin...It worked for a while, but cracked from vibration.. I have replaced it with a ABS electrical box...The truck is undergoing a remake now. I will take some pics of the new air box when I get it installed..
Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Ha Looks like we got the same snorkel off ebay Why not just cut a new hole in the old airbox? Then stick a coupler through and silicone it in.

Here is my build. I found the post.

First I removed the old tube and mount from the fender, plugged the stock intake with a solid washer and siliconed It in.

2nd I used a 3 inch hole saw and cut a new hole in the stock airbox.

3rd I used a pvc coupler wrapped in a rubber coupler and trimmed the hole for a tight fit, then siliconed that in.

4th I cut a hole in the hood using a 3.5 hole saw designed for metal.

5th I mounted another pvc coupler wrapped in a rubber tape untill it became the right size. To the underside of my hood RE-utilizing The stock intake mount on the inside of the fender using sheet metal screws and something to act as a nut plate.

I had to use about a half inch of spacers to get the mount at the right angle so the snorkel went straight up.

And last I used a slinky like expanding intake hose so when i open the hood it expands and when I close the hood I guide it back down straight.

I need to cut some fuel line and circle it around the opening to make it a little cleaner. I have metal particles stuck the adhesive from the tape I used.... Excuse my dirt. just got back from a outing.

Snorkel and A new k&n replacement filter gave me a good amount more power and faster revs.
Total cost $25 for snorkel off ebay
$25 for hose off ebay
$20 for couplers etc.
$45 for K&N replacement filter
$20 for hole saws

Last edited by Zpd426; 06-04-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM

i got a snorkel and its saved me a few times already and ive only had it for 6 months.

Quick Reply: Snorkel Craze: use em or loose em?