Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FJ 80 Axle Indentification

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FJ 80 Axle Indentification

Hey ya'll,

I searched the YT forums and Googled before I asked my question and here it goes. Does anyone have a site out there for Land Cruiser axle identification, similar to the ones for the trucks and 4Runners like these?

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=274535

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

A buddy of mine is thinking about buying a 1994 Cruiser and he's got the VIN#. I was trying to see what axles he had from the sites above but they don't seem to cover the Land Crusher.

Anyone know of a resource for this?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

Update: My buddy who was looking to buy this 94 Cruiser will not now. I'll explain. (BTW---I think this is related, good general reference for anyone considering buying one of these used).

This Cruiser was a 94 (dual solid axle of course) with the center diff lock (not lockers). It had 144K miles on it and from the surface, looked & drove well and the motor was strong. Asking price as $5K. He opted to spend 90 bucks at the local Yota stealership to have them give it the once over. Good thing he did. Rear main seal was gone, belts, hoses, vaccum lines...all had holes, front brakes were 75% gone. Rear heater hoses had holes, window motors we creaking or very, very slow to operate. So, lotsa stuff going wrong. This info was good to have BUT...the best info this guy gave us was this. Most of Land Cruisers he sees in the shop are owned by rich people who only get stuff done like oil changes etc. They seem to opt out of radiator and transmission flushes, diff fluid change outs etc or any other suggested maint. I guess from this guy's 25 years of experience, the rich folks just drive them into the ground. This may also explain the lack of online places like this on that covers trucks and 4Runners. Regular Joes like you and me can't afford these kinds of rigs. It’s too bad because Cruisers seem to be really rugged (and nice) 4x4s. Toyota just overbuilt them for the yupie market.[/COLOR]

I am actually glad this didn't work out because I am sure he can find one with factory lockers and in better shape...

]I am still looking for an decent reference on FJ 80s if anyone has suggestions, I am all ears.
]
]C-yez out there.

Last edited by Trail_Banger; 03-16-2009 at 06:09 AM.