Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why Dealers Suck

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why Dealers Suck

I bought my 01 Tacoma back in January of this year with 77k on the clock. Now six months later I'm up to 92k. According to the dealer there are NO service records for my vehicle. At all. Except for my oil changes. I asked how much to get all the services done and bring it up to speed so I know what has been done... to give me a baseline so to speak. $1450 dollars!!! That covered draining all the fluids flushing the brakes, radiator and manual trans. Replacing the Timing Belt and cam seals. Replacing front pads and turning the rotors. And a bunch of other little b.s. stuff they swear I need. My question to the forum is at 92k on an unknown vehicle with was originally bought in West Virginia what do I really need to do? Real world. I drive a lot. hence the dramatic increase in milage, and I go out at least every other weekend.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got 106k on the clock and I've changed all my fluids including a trans flush along with the fuel filter and done a TB cleaning. I bought mine last fall and have put about 20k on it so far. I have done all the work myself and it's very easy...

If I were you, I'd check the belts and keep an eye on them. Have the diffs/XF case fluids drained and refilled with Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Flush the trans and replace with M1 or Amsoil. Change the Air filter and fuel filter. Clean the MAF. Replace the PCV. Flush out the intake with some SeaFoam (do a search) and add a couple of cans to your next tank of gas. In all, you're looking at less than $300 to pay someone to do it and less than $150 to do it yourself.

The recommended service interval for the water pump and timing belt is 90k, but it's not mandatory. Remember that the dealers make their money on services, so what they recommend isn't always what you NEED. You should educate yourself then make informed decisions on what you NEED as opposed to being one of the "sheep" and just doing what they say.

Last edited by bamachem; 06-21-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dean,

look in our "maintenance" forum and youll see a thread up at the top called "maintenance engine". click on the link and plug in your vehilce's data and it will tell you the recommended service items.

many of these items are very easy to do yourself. theres probably a few write ups on those items in the "tech" forum too.

bob
Old 06-21-2004, 10:31 AM

yeah, timing belt usually needs to be replaced by 90k miles, but as stated above it doesn't have to be done...worst case scenario would be your t-belt snaps and leaves you stranded somewhere, but it won't cause any engine damage.

Basically your truck is now due for a MAJOR service according to Toyota's service schedule, so that is what they are quoting. But you may not need all of that stuff.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Diy

Bamachem and myself are going to do my 60K maintenance in the near future and is going to cost me maybe $100 instead of $300-$400 at the dealer, so definitely look into doing as much as you can do yourself and save some $$$ cause they will tell you until they are blue in the face that you NEED this and that, but let the buyer beware!

Old 07-02-2004, 10:26 PM

I am looking to buy a used truck at that same mileage, and have realised that if there are no maintenance/warrenty service records, then you should do everything that is recommended in the maintenance schedule and fix wear/tear items (minus items already done on service records). Since there are no records (possibility that previous owner didn't do anything) you should do these items as preventive maintenance. At that mileage you need a thorough tuneup anyways, unless the previous owner just did it, and that would cover any minor tuneups that were missed/not listed in the records anyways. Call around different dealers also, as they're information is sometimes not central (only at the dealer he went to ) or head office/customer service(I just went thru this with BMW's and got the info from headoffice). My experience is that most people sell there trucks after warrenty expires, needs repairs/maintence, accidents... since the trucks i am looking at have the same mileage 90-100k miles they all need that major maintenance and the dealer in canada I called quoted me at approx $700 w/o tax $900 w/ tax canadian (500-700 US?). The fact you MAY need cam seals, front pads and turning the rotors..can easily add up - but all seem like regular maintenance/wear and tear (dunno about cam seals). Try DIY/shop around or fix it at that cost knowing that your truck is maintained & it'll last 100k more until u have to do 100k mainteance again. I have heard that a broken timing belt will cause engine damage - can someone shed some light?
Old 07-03-2004, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Alot of the ffluid changes can be done yourself, brakes, only if you know they are bad. Tune up you can do yourself. replace plugs and wires. Look at the list and think to yourself- can i do this myself or not. I have saved tons of money by doing it myself. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by johnkay
I have heard that a broken timing belt will cause engine damage - can someone shed some light?
It depends on whether or not the engine has an interference design. If it is an interference design and the t-belt snaps, your pistons will collide with your valves, leading to major internal damage. If it isn't, you'll just coast to a stop.

I know the 3.4l V6 is not an interference engine, but not sure about the others.