Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Where is the hatch light switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the hatch light switch?

Does someone know where the switch for the rear latch is?
I have lost my power lock/unlocks through the key fob, my rear dome light, the light on the dash to indicate an open door, and my rear wiper. :mad:

I have traced it down to a wire that is green with a red stripe near the rear dome light. If I ground that wire out manually I get everything back. For some reason that wire is not grounding when the door is open? I also followed that wire into the door all the way to the orange box (which I think is the power lock/unlock modual)

If I close the rear hatch hard sometimes it comes back and I lose it the same way. I also have shook wires like crazy today not finding the short

There is no pin switch that I can find, unless there is a mercury switch or the latch is switched.

If anyone has a wiring schematic or knows where the switch is wired, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx :beaver:

--------------------
Steve
99 Limited 4WD
32" Cooper Discoverer S/T, Bilsteins all around, 2" Cornbred/fed's
Old 06-18-2002, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

I looked in my manual and it appears that the switch is built into the rear door latch. The manual is not clear on where or how. The green with red stripe wire runs to what Toyota calls the combination meter, or the dash display. Then wires run from there to the body ecu, then to the back door ecu, to the back door open swtich and finally to ground, if the door is open. It is a complicated system. I would agree that the place to start would be the switch.

Sorry I could not be of more help. I have never torn into the back door.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:52 PM

Thank you Hbum,

The back door ECU must be the orange box that I saw. But there is the elusive ground after the latch.:eek:

I guess I am going to tear the latch apart tomorrow and peak in there.

Hmmm......this means considering the 4Runner has the constant power going through the light, if the filament in the interior bulb ever breaks, the circuit is broke and everything will stop working again. Weird way to wire things

Thanks again
:beaver:
Old 06-19-2002, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry I could not be more help. Shoot me an e-mail or reply here if you need something looked up in the shop manual.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:26 PM

Question

I am having a problem with my rear hatch activating the rear courtesy light as well. An associated issue is that when I use the keyless remote to unlock the doors and load cargo into the rear hatch area, the RS3000 relocks the truck before I get done and I have to use the remote to unlock the doors again to get into the passenger area. FSM shows the switch to be inside the back door, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have any insight on this??
Old 01-05-2005, 09:27 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I've had that problem on various vehicles that have switches built into the latches. Spray a generous amount of silicone lube into the latch an open and close it a few times. Usually does the trick. Do not use WD40, it will attract dust and gum it up worse next time...
Old 01-08-2005, 12:41 PM

Phil,

Thanks for the help. Worked like a champ!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:17 PM

I just recently had an alarm installed for security and the wiring for some of the sensors were thru the dome lights. I was told that the pin in the rear hatch needed to be replaced otherwise someone could just get in. I have a 97' Runner and when the rear hatch is open the dome light does not come on, but it works when I manually place it in the on position. Does anyone know where the pin is or what the problem could be? Sorry for the long post. Thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
revive a thread

Originally Posted by gflint
I am having a problem with my rear hatch activating the rear courtesy light as well. An associated issue is that when I use the keyless remote to unlock the doors and load cargo into the rear hatch area, the RS3000 relocks the truck before I get done and I have to use the remote to unlock the doors again to get into the passenger area. FSM shows the switch to be inside the back door, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have any insight on this??

following along through another thread and found this one. GFlint-I believe that it is quite normal for the remote to unlock your doors-then they will all relock 45 seconds later if you do not open one of the 4 doors (hatch does not count).

I believe the thought process to this is that if you were to accidently unlock the truck with your key fob-like as you were walking away from the vehicle sticking the key fob in your pocket-then it would not be left unlocked.

So I unlock it with the key fob and start to load my groceries in the back...I open one of the rear passenger doors and close it again. Then the truck does not relock on me while I load my groceries.

Bet you figured this out many years ago....
Old 11-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
I've had that problem on various vehicles that have switches built into the latches. Spray a generous amount of silicone lube into the latch an open and close it a few times. Usually does the trick. Do not use WD40, it will attract dust and gum it up worse next time...
good to know, thanks!