Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What to do about wheathered running boards

Old 10-08-2002, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to do about wheathered running boards

Hey all,
This is my first time here, so I've got to pick you all's brains on alot of stuff.

I've got a 1990 4Runner and the running boards and rear step are getting pretty weathered. Does anybody know what to do about that kinda thing? Somebody suggested spraying it with some of that spray on bedliner stuff. Also, somebody else said to use some of the stuff used to blacken tires (sorry forget what it is called).
Another question, the black trim around all the windows is starting to get really spotty. Sort of looks like a coat of finish is wearing off. Any ideas on that?

Any suggestions would be great.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 10-08-2002, 11:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hello DH, and welcome to the forums.

My running boards were the same way when I got my '91 4Runner.

What I found that worked really good was that tire foam spray you buy to clean and shine tires with.

I used it on them, and also along the black strip on top of the rear bumper.
I also use it at every rig wash and spray the mudfaps and inside the fender well.

Back To Black is what I think you are talking about.
I also used that on my boards the first time, but the tire cleaner stuff worked better.

The trim around the windows might look better with some 303 Protectant on them.
Kind of like Armor All, but not greasy, and better stuff.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:04 AM

What I did for the rear step (the black plastic part right?) was I sprayed some of that Black Magic (Tire stuff, makes them look kind of like new) I just sprayed it on there and it looks great. Although it does have a greasy kind of stuff on it that I haven't gotten around to wiping off So be careful if you touch it after you spray it and didn't wipe it off :beaver:

I haven't tried anything on the black trim around the windows, but i'd guess that the Black Magic (there's probably a better one out there, that's just all I had, and decided to try it ) or Armor All should work.

Good luck with it!

Welcome to the forums :beaver:

-Braden
Old 10-08-2002, 11:07 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I should note too that the spray I used is the kind that you hose rince off afterwards.
I would let it sit on the rb's and the rear bumper for about a minute to soak in.

Then I wiped them down as normal with the wipe donw towel and they still looked great afterwards.
Corey
Old 10-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks you all. I'll definitely try that stuff out.

I just noticed I have a typo on my subject line. My bad.

Anymore help would be much appreciated.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 10-08-2002, 02:03 PM

Corey mentioned Back to Black, that is what I use. Mothers makes it and it is great. You just put it on and rub it in. It is nice. Makes everything black again. You will have to do it every 3 months or so, but it does do a great job. :fireman:
Old 10-08-2002, 02:30 PM

Re: What to do about wheathered running boards

Originally posted by DH6twinotter

Have fun.
Take em off and toss them! They call it the cheap lift kit, because your rig will look higher off the ground. Then buy a pair of rock sliders instead, your rig will look meaner and the sliders will provide good protection.

Welcome to the boards!

Cheers
Old 10-08-2002, 02:58 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

It will look taller for sure.
I remember when I first pulled off the running boards a few years back to put on the Smittybilt nerfs.
Sitting inside the rig and looking out the open door it was a lot further down.

Yesterday I yanked off my sliderz so I could touch them up this morning, and here is what it looks like without them.

Hopefully they will be getting powder coated soon, and I'll be putting the back on before too long.
It looks naked without them.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Corey
It will look taller for sure.
I remember when I first pulled off the running boards a few years back to put on the Smittybilt nerfs.
Sitting inside the rig and looking out the open door it was a lot further down.

Yesterday I yanked off my sliderz so I could touch them up this morning, and here is what it looks like without them.

Hopefully they will be getting powder coated soon, and I'll be putting the back on before too long.
It looks naked without them.
Yes, doesn't it look so much better without running boards? I have never liked the look of running boards (I always thought they looked like something an old timer would put on his vehicle ) No offense to anybody who likes them
Old 10-08-2002, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can also try this stuff called Black Chrome. The Turtle wax people make it. I've had good success with it on my old running boards.

Just tell the significant other to be careful though, all this stuff makes the running boards slippery.

Steve
Old 10-08-2002, 06:54 PM

Re: Re: What to do about wheathered running boards

Originally posted by Beowulf

Take em off and toss them! They call it the cheap lift kit, because your rig will look higher off the ground. Then buy a pair of rock sliders instead, your rig will look meaner and the sliders will provide good protection.

Welcome to the boards!

Cheers
I second that. Check out www.Kongs4x4.com for some cheap sliders
Old 10-08-2002, 07:00 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Check out the sliderz round-up here too for several brands of sliderz including the Kong's.

The article is listed on the main page here on Yotatech on the web.
Corey
Old 10-08-2002, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks again you all.
I did think about taking off the running boards and getting some nurf bars of something like that. The only thing with that is my 4Runner isn't a 4X4 :cry: Would nurf bars make my 4Runner look cheesy then? I don't really want it to look like something it isn't.
Any more thoughts would be great.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 10-08-2002, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Take um off, get rid of them, they do nothing but make you look lower and get in the way off-road. Sorry if I'm a bit late on this topic, but I felt compelled to say "get rid of um", since that was the best thing I have ever done to mine.

EDIT: Sorry I posted w/o reading that you are a 2WD Runner. Oh boy, my kindred sprit here, someone else who gets the horrible feeling of not being 4WD when you really really want one. But as for looking sheesy and being something you aren't, screw it, go ahead, yank off the boards an slap some nerf bars on there. I'm lifting my 2WD and slapping 32s on it this weekend. When it comes to dressing up your Runner and making it LOOK really rugged, 2WD is better(the lifts cost less and there is not that front diff. hanging down there, also you don't have to worry about CV joints getting streched and torn up). Go for it, make your Runner look as bad ass as you can. Be proud of your Runner no matter what . I should talk, I'm still having 4x4 infiriority prolems myself.

Last edited by Stump1883; 10-08-2002 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:43 PM

Go with sliders, not nerfs!
Old 10-08-2002, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

No need for sliders on 4x2, he and I would never need the sliders when the biggest rock we would come against off-road/trail running would be a pebble flung up under the truck as we breeze by. Nerfs give the look, basically all that is needed, and some functionality(I need a set so my grilfriend can get in to my truck after the lift.) She's 5.1 and all of 99-100lbs. it's a funny picture.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:53 PM

Doh! Missed the part about the 4x2. Get some nerfs then!
Old 10-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks again you all.
I am planning on getting some fender flares as soon as $$$ allows. Would this require the removal of the running boards?
I'll probably get some nerfs. They look better than sliders.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter

BTW, how do you all get the little photo of your truck to show up on the left below your username?
Old 10-09-2002, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

No you can get fneder flares w/ running boards, you just have to purchase the end boots to have them flow w/ the lines and attach all nice and clean. Those are about another 90-100 bucks. If you get the nerfs then you have avoided that problem. I like the idea of nerfs and fender flares, I think that'll make your truck really sharp looking. You should also look at lifting it, I'm really excited to see my baby after it's lift. With a lift, nerfs and fender flares you would be one bad ass Runner. You could at least play the part of a 4x4(just like I'm trying to do) LOL. Good luck man.

If anyone could answer his question about the small pic. of yoiur truck next to your name, I would like to know how as well, I remember seeing a post about it sometime before but I'm to lazy to go looking for it.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:40 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I ran nerfs with my flares before I got the sliderz, and it looks pretty good.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/4602/191024.jpg
Corey