Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Vasinvictor's 3.4 rear mount turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vasinvictor
So I was having problems with spark blowout, but only during the night. Weird, right? Well turns out my alternator had a couple bad diodes. At night, with my headlights on, it caused bad enough voltage/amperage drop that the fuel pump and spark got weak. Replaced with a used $45 Denso alternator from eBay and it runs great! I'm still using BKR6E with stock gap of .032".

I got a ball and spring boost controller on it and have it set at a conservative 4psi, since I still don't have a wideband. It runs really good. Next thing I'm going to do is get a huge 24" body Magnaflow. It's still way too loud. It's annoying to drive anywhere.
Now that you've got the manual boost controller on, is it spooling any better? I know your exhaust leak isn't doing you any favors, but did the boost controller help?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 AM

In for updates. Been thinking about a turbo on my swap for a while
Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, no, it didn't lower the boost threshold. On stall lockup at about 2,200, I'm still making 1psi. I have full boost about 3,400 rpm. The boost comes on very fast at that point and it pulls hard. So, from a dead stop, it doesn't get out of the hole the quickest. However, at 20mph or higher speed, when I stab the throttle and it, the boost is there instantly. It makes passing gear really nice! I can make full boost through every gear until I let off.

Now having said that, this drives really nicely. Around town, it drives completely stock. You don't accidentally get into boost, etc. It only goes fast when you want it to. When you drop the pedal, it goes. I can cruise all day long without ever getting into boost. I don't know how this differs from a S/C, if at all. Offroad this could very useful. If you are low RPM crawling, you don't want that boost to come in. That's when you start breaking stuff. However, if you get in some really sticky mud, stab the throttle and clean the lugs out. I imagine it would be excellent for the sand too, but alas I live in Arkansas.

The turbo whistles very loudly all the time, even when not in boost. It sounds like a diesel truck except with that annoying v6 riffling sound. People notice, although I'm not sure they know what they're hearing.

I had a scare this morning when I was warming up the truck. I came back outside and there was a huge puddle of oil coming out of my tailpipe. Turns out the return oil pump fuse blew. I only had a 10amp fuse in there. It was 15* last night, the oil was thick, and I guess the pump couldn't get going. I replaced it with a 15amp fuse. No more oil from the tailpipe. Dodged a bullet there. I need to wire in a light to warn me if the pump quits.

Thanks for following me. It's just a fun and cheap project that keep me tinkering.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:50 AM

@vasinvictor, sounds like you're enjoying the boost so far. Do you still have those exhaust leaks? I'm thinking those leaks might give funky readings to the O2 sensors?

Also, how do you like that scavenge pump? How loud is it? Any chance you could post a video with the camera under the truck, next to the pump while it's on? I'm trying to figure out which scavenge pump I'm going to go with, and I'd rather not have some crazy loud pump going if I can help it.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Robb235
@vasinvictor, sounds like you're enjoying the boost so far. Do you still have those exhaust leaks? I'm thinking those leaks might give funky readings to the O2 sensors?

Also, how do you like that scavenge pump? How loud is it? Any chance you could post a video with the camera under the truck, next to the pump while it's on? I'm trying to figure out which scavenge pump I'm going to go with, and I'd rather not have some crazy loud pump going if I can help it.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the video.

Not taking anything away from your turbo build, but I think that sound would drive me nuts lol.

Got any plans to push it further or change anything in the future, or are you happy where you are?

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Robb235
Thanks for the video.

Not taking anything away from your turbo build, but I think that sound would drive me nuts lol.

Got any plans to push it further or change anything in the future, or are you happy where you are?

No worries. I don't have anything to compare it to. I just figure "it comes with it". Besides I really never hear it over the exhaust or tires except for at the drive thru window. If there is a quieter yet reliable option I'd like to know what it was.

I'm not interested in pushing it any further. I want to add a wideband so I can crank it up to 7psi with confidence. I want to add methanol injection, TransGo shift kit and possibly a stall upgrade. But that's really just tuning for reliability and longevity.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:35 AM

No worries. I don't have anything to compare it to. I just figure "it comes with it". Besides I really never hear it over the exhaust or tires except for at the drive thru window. If there is a quieter yet reliable option I'd like to know what it was.

I'm not interested in pushing it any further. I want to add a wideband so I can crank it up to 7psi with confidence. I want to add methanol injection, TransGo shift kit and possibly a stall upgrade. But that's really just tuning for reliability and longevity.
As far as quieter, I've *heard* that the Turbowerx pump is supposed to be quieter.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:00 PM

Well I haven't been driving the truck much except around town. Maybe done a handful of WOT pulls since last post. Just taking it easy.

I did go to the drag strip a couple weekends ago and made about 4 passes. It's only a 1000' track which stinks. I ran a 13.7 at 76mph. I was having blowout or lean stutter between shifts and only running about 3-4lb boost. By contrast my brother in law's 2012 Camaro with the v6 and auto ran a 11.7 at 91mph.

I bought a Walbro 255 on the way home and that has completely fixed the leanout condition. (that's what I'll call it) It had the original 20 year old 3.0 pump in there. I also got an AEM UEGO wideband sensor kit, and a Transgo shift/valve body kit that I will put in hopefully next week. My truck is currently at the exhaust shop getting my exhaust completely redone. I had 3 significant exhaust leaks before the turbo. I'm doing away with my leaky crossover and going with duals (2" from manifold back), passenger side crossing under transfer case and behind the crossmember and merging into driver side, and then into a 2.25" tube feeding the turbo. My old setup was a 2.5" tube from the downpipe all the way to the turbo then 3" back. I feel like this should really change the spooling nature of it. I would love to be full spool at 3k or less. I'll post pics as I take them.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 03-02-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Removed. See above post.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 03-02-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
So what'd it run?

And has anyone ever run a stock one for comparison/laughs?

I figure I'd get a somewhat gnarly burnout in the water box with my locker engaged, but that would be about the extent of the fun.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the 1/8 mile ET and trap? 1000' times don't mean a whole lot for comparison sake.

Actually just post the whole time slip if you can.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:56 AM

Some tracks will give you a 1000' time on your 1/4 mile slip, but yeah, 1/8 mile is a far more comparable stat.

Also, even at 1/4 mile tracks, I see a fair number of guys only running the 1/8th anyhow, for whatever reason. I guess it saves wear and tear on the car, and if you haven't gotten it done in the 1/8th, there's no reason going another.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jomoka
Some tracks will give you a 1000' time on your 1/4 mile slip, but yeah, 1/8 mile is a far more comparable stat.

Also, even at 1/4 mile tracks, I see a fair number of guys only running the 1/8th anyhow, for whatever reason. I guess it saves wear and tear on the car, and if you haven't gotten it done in the 1/8th, there's no reason going another.
Yes, the 330' and 1000' ET's are on most Time slips but they are only really useful for diagnosing issues/strengths of the car.

The reason guys run 1/8th miles on 1/4 mile tracks is usually because their car is too fast and if they ran a full 1/4 they would get booted from the track (got to have a Roll bar once you dip under 11.5 technically).

The other reason is for cars built for the 1/8'th mile. At the end they are on the rev limiter due to gearing ect. Really stupid to build a car like that IMO but many do.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 PM

Man my truck is stilllll in the exhaust shop, and my timeslips are in the glove box. I'm going in the morning so I'll pick them up. I'm embarassed to post them, my 60' was pitiful. I can't get out of the hole due to late spool. Therefore I don't think the 1/8 time will be comparable to a 1/4 time. It's anything but a linear acceleration. It does far better in the long stretch of the track if that makes sense.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:07 PM

Name:  20140304_034806829_iOS.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  75.4 KBName:  20140304_034821322_iOS.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  76.2 KBName:  20140304_034914252_iOS.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  129.6 KB

Also got smaller and lighter weight tires. Going from 265/75 Mud Kings on steel wheels to 245/75 Firestone Destination Load Range C on factory aluminum wheels.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

Man my truck is stilllll in the exhaust shop, and my timeslips are in the glove box. I'm going in the morning so I'll pick them up. I'm embarassed to post them, my 60' was pitiful. I can't get out of the hole due to late spool. Therefore I don't think the 1/8 time will be comparable to a 1/4 time. It's anything but a linear acceleration. It does far better in the long stretch of the track if that makes sense.
If you know how to read a time slip a lot can be learned from the short track times.

The trap speed is a key factor in figuring out what is going on.

You should have a high stall converter installed while working on the trans anyways. It will make a WORLD of difference. To the point that would be my first performance mod to an automatic 4runner if I did it all over again.

Also you could spool the turbo off the line as well so no lag!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:21 AM

There are a lot of variable in the time, but very few in the trap speed. You do get going fast enough in a street car to have aerodynamics enter the equation, but only slightly. The vast majority of it is the car's weight and the HP of the motor. If you know the weight, use that an the trap speed and an online drag calculator will give you a pretty good estimate of the HP. Of course, that's an averaged HP over the run, not quite the same thing as a 'peak hp' number you see from a dyno.

What technique were you using to launch? Hold the brakes, floor the gas, let go of the brakes when you see boost? Don't hold the car like that for very long though, it will heat up the trans fluid pretty quickly. If you're not really 'racing' the guy next to you, don't worry about the tree going green. Just set the car up for the launch you want and go when you're ready. Or if you're going to lose, as with the Camaro, and it's your buddy, redlight the heck out of them just to mess with them!

Launch tricks can affect the ET a fair amount, but won't affect the trap speed very much.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:16 AM

I trapped at 76mph. I'm guessing 4,200lb weight. I was powerbraking to max spool then letting off the brake. I should have red lighted just to make things more interesting for him. It was just test n tune so not technically racing anyone. I was hitting 3-3.5psi max. Now that I have a proper fuel pump and wideband I can increase the boost a bit. I'm very curious to see how these exhaust changes will affect spool.

Also this Transgo kit has a "truck" and "hot rod" setting. I'm probably just going to go with the "truck" setting unless anyone can tell my why not.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Go with whatever makes it shift the hardest. You want the shifts to be as fast as possible. The reason these transmissions fail 90% of the time is burnt clutches from slow shifts. The second place is broken 2nd gear sprags IIRC but that is far more rare.

Quick Reply: Vasinvictor's 3.4 rear mount turbo setup