Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

V8 Performance mods???

Old 02-25-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V8 Performance mods???

I just got my 04 4Runner and have been searching the threads here. Lots of great stuff.

I am seeing mods for the V6's (exhausts mentioned, deckplate mod etc). Does anyone do anything to the V8's? Deckplates etc? I would like a little more juice (may get a supercharger later as I am an HP junkie) but want to keep the nice, plush, quiet ride I have which rules out an exhaust I think.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Deckplate mod works for any vehicle.
SC for the v8

that's about it...
Old 02-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
I just got my 04 4Runner and have been searching the threads here. Lots of great stuff.

I am seeing mods for the V6's (exhausts mentioned, deckplate mod etc). Does anyone do anything to the V8's? Deckplates etc? I would like a little more juice (may get a supercharger later as I am an HP junkie) but want to keep the nice, plush, quiet ride I have which rules out an exhaust I think.

Also you can add a new exhaust, a TRD air filter, a K&N air charger. The best mod ofcourse is the s/c.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:11 AM

I havent done much to the engine yet, as I have been working on the suspension, stereo, and appearance. I have the 4.7L and have added an FIPK and a 12" Magnaflow Muffler and exhaust. I bet I picked up 20hp tops...though it does sound a lot better...and is noticable on the throttle. Like others mentioned, the SC is going to render the largest gains by far, and combined with gadget's URD kit, that would be one slick setup.

Hey Biff-
How are all the mods coming?? Last I saw you were adding the daystar spacers...anything else in the works? Let us know...thanks.

Billy
Old 02-25-2004, 05:14 PM

What the heck is a deckplate mod?

Pitchar
Old 02-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

search my friend search
Old 02-26-2004, 03:45 PM

Thanks guys. I want to keep the freeway ride nice an quiet so an exhaust is out. I was thinking the SC was about it since I want it to stay quiet and you confirmed it.

fourunnabilly,
Been reading up on your mods. I find the stock JBL/Nav sound system just fine for me. I will be doing the Daystar lift though.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
Thanks guys. I want to keep the freeway ride nice an quiet so an exhaust is out. I was thinking the SC was about it since I want it to stay quiet and you confirmed it.

fourunnabilly,
Been reading up on your mods. I find the stock JBL/Nav sound system just fine for me. I will be doing the Daystar lift though.

If I was able to get a VERY high flow setup on my 3.slow, then you can certainly find a quiet, yet free flowing exhuast. Remember I am VERY much concerned about my soundfloor at speed due to my SQ needs...
Old 02-26-2004, 07:02 PM

Duc Hunter-

Just glad I can help...good luck with your mods, you've come to the fight place.

Billy
Old 02-27-2004, 05:02 AM

How do you guys like your muffler mods.? I have the v8 and was wanting to get a better sound. I don't want anything too loud; fairly quiet at idle and I don't really want to hear it cruising down the highway. But if I really get on it, I want to hear it!! Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 10:01 AM

Philly, believe me U understand your concerns. FRom building many cars, including my VR-4 I understand the value of a free flowing intake ands exh, esp on a turbo/blown car. I just do not want more interior noise on the freeway. I will keep my ears open for a quiet one though, when the time comes.

fourunnabilly, I sure have. I am active on quite a few forums (Bandit forums, Galant VR-4 forums, AEM EMS forum....) and I must say this is on ot the top forums I am in. Everyone is great here and the information and help is invaluable.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HuntRunner
How do you guys like your muffler mods.? I have the v8 and was wanting to get a better sound. I don't want anything too loud; fairly quiet at idle and I don't really want to hear it cruising down the highway. But if I really get on it, I want to hear it!! Any suggestions? Thanks

HuntRunner, I love my muffler mod - at Christmas I cut out the old one and just put in a magnaflow ... for awhile I was disappointed because it basically sounded no different than it had before ... so I tried having the resonator tip taken off and some non-resonated tip put in its place. That made all the difference in the world. I would recommend that if you get a new muffler, leave the resonator tip on there until you know how you like the sound and then if it seems like you'd like a little bit more growl, then you can always have the resonator taken off and replaced with a stainless tip.