Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

towing a 94 4x4 ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question towing a 94 4x4 ???

well this seems to be the place where all the smart people hang out. So answer this smart guys-
my buddy just bought a 2003 30' RV.
so my trip to B.C. just became alot more comfortable. What I would like to do is tow the truck behind the RV, he is going to south dakoda after B.C. and I want to ski in colorado. so I need some info on towing .
A) I have auto hubs and would like to go to manual. This was not a big deal on the nissan will there be any suprises with the toy?
B) I think I should tow in "N", will that be OK, or should I disconect the rear shaft also.
c)is there any concern with towing at freeway speeds (70 +)
D) can I use a straight bar system (like on old jeeps) attached to where the tow hook and tow pad eye are. Does anyone have a better way?
F) any other smart things I might need to know.
thanks repo
Old 02-04-2003, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Odometer

Dont forget to undo the speedo cable so you dont rack up mileage.

As for the other stuff, I wouldnt feel comfortable giving any solid answers, so I wont try.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

nice call on the speedo

thanks on the spedo thing, I'm not sure what all I need to do but I am thinking the less $ spent on parts = more $ spent on lift tickets.

I know there is someone out there who hase some answers for me... thanks
Old 02-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Re: nice call on the speedo

Originally posted by hilandfrog
thanks on the spedo thing, I'm not sure what all I need to do but I am thinking the less $ spent on parts = more $ spent on lift tickets.

I know there is someone out there who hase some answers for me... thanks
Just tell me your going to Whistler!

I used to go there all the time when I lived in Seattle. Have fun no matter where you go!
Old 02-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

whistler it is...

my buddy and I are leaving san diego sunday night and starting the trip off with a few warm up days in mammoth then on to squaw valley (I grew up there so its sorta home) we might hit kirkwood if we get som freshies. from tahoe we visit mom in ashland, on to mt hood, up the olympic pensula, I have never skied in WA state so I will take any suggestions. from here we will either drop off the RV and drive the Truck to whistler. this depends on Weather, going over passes ??good roads ?? bad roads ??, boarder crossing hastles, possibly fuel issues with RV and quanitity vs driving distance. (any imput??) from whistler to schwitzer ID, then Sun valley, off to jackson hole WY. from here Karl will be continuing to SD and I haven't decided weather I should go I 25 S and hit summit county to brian head UT or go back to the 15 and hit alta and Snowbird ( I skied summit early this year and havent been to UT for a few so I'm leaning that way. wish me luck

Repo
Old 02-04-2003, 06:21 PM

I wouldn't think you need to disconnect the speedo if you remove the driveshaft. Then your tranny would never spin and obviously your speedo cable won't turn.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Del

As for the towing speed, in California, the max you can go is 55. Probably for a good reason.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Victor
I wouldn't think you need to disconnect the speedo if you remove the driveshaft. Then your tranny would never spin and obviously your speedo cable won't turn.
Good point.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Re: whistler it is...

Originally posted by hilandfrog
my buddy and I are leaving san diego sunday night and starting the trip off with a few warm up days in mammoth then on to squaw valley (I grew up there so its sorta home) we might hit kirkwood if we get som freshies. from tahoe we visit mom in ashland, on to mt hood, up the olympic pensula, I have never skied in WA state so I will take any suggestions. from here we will either drop off the RV and drive the Truck to whistler. this depends on Weather, going over passes ??good roads ?? bad roads ??, boarder crossing hastles, possibly fuel issues with RV and quanitity vs driving distance. (any imput??) from whistler to schwitzer ID, then Sun valley, off to jackson hole WY. from here Karl will be continuing to SD and I haven't decided weather I should go I 25 S and hit summit county to brian head UT or go back to the 15 and hit alta and Snowbird ( I skied summit early this year and havent been to UT for a few so I'm leaning that way. wish me luck

Repo
Ski Areas in WA to hit:

Stevens Pass
Alpental (only if the snow and temp is good)
Crystal Mountain
Mt. Baker (if you snowboard)

The "Peace Arch" USA --> CAN crossing is only bad during peak hours. Weekends and commute time. There is an alternative crossing about 30 miles east of there, but I dont remember the name. Its worth looking up.

The road to Whistler is treacherous. Be careful in an RV.

You can park in the parking lot at Whislter in the RV section. The last time I did that, there was no fee. But you might want to check into that. Whistler Village is fun!

Take the UT way home.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

ski area info

thanks for the info on WA skiing. We are towing my truck for just the reasons you mentioned driving over the pass parking etc...