Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tinting laws question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinting laws question

I'm in NH and just bought a car from someone who's from CA. The rear side and back window's pretty dark, looks limo, and I might be able to get away with it but the front's also tinted but in a lighter shade. Question is I don't think NH laws permit tinting the fronts ...so how do I explain it if I get pulled over?
Old 05-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well it depends greatly from state to state but here you can have the dark windows blacked out but as long as the windsheild and and front windows are stock your good to go...

Im accualy going to make my rear windows darker because of my new stereo equip....not trying to get it jacked from a quick onlooker
Old 05-07-2005, 02:52 PM

California Window Tint

In California the windows CAN be tinted, but only to a shade that the CHP can read the Vehicle Code Book through. Meaning that if they can hold their Vehicle Code Book on the inside of your front drivers or passengers side window and they can clearly read the print from the other side, then it's legal.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by rbmc
In California the windows CAN be tinted, but only to a shade that the CHP can read the Vehicle Code Book through. Meaning that if they can hold their Vehicle Code Book on the inside of your front drivers or passengers side window and they can clearly read the print from the other side, then it's legal.
I see... but the car's not in cali anymore, its in nh. What i'm trying to say is can I leave it like the way it is and explain to them that the previous owner got the tint in california and thus it wasn't me that tinted this vehicle.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Toys-R-Us
I see... but the car's not in cali anymore, its in nh. What i'm trying to say is can I leave it like the way it is and explain to them that the previous owner got the tint in california and thus it wasn't me that tinted this vehicle.
It's really easy....on Monday call the Dept of Motor Vehicles (highway patrol)
and ask them.....or take it there.......till then just show your bill of sale or registration showing a new purchase and more than likely they wont ticket you if it is not leagal.......Here in Tx limo all around except the two fronts they can't be more than 35%...every state has their own requirements.....
Old 05-07-2005, 08:48 PM

Pulled from State of New Hampshire Revised Statutes Online

TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 266
EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
Miscellaneous
Section 266:58-a
266:58-a Tinted Glass. –
I. It shall be unlawful to sell or inspect any motor vehicle in this state which has after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver.
II. It shall be unlawful to install after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver on any motor vehicle which is registered in this state.
III. It shall be unlawful to drive on any way any motor vehicle registered in this state which has after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver. Where after market tinting is applied to windows to the rear of the driver, outside rear view mirrors shall be required on both the left and right side of the vehicle for the use of the driver and a front seat passenger. The light transmittance of after-market tinted windows where they are allowed shall not be less than 35 percent, except that the light transmittance of aftermarket tinted rear windows of multipurpose passenger vehicles, as defined in 49 C.F.R. 571.3 and pickup trucks may be such percentage as is allowed by 49 C.F.R. 571.205 with respect to pre-market tinted rear windows.
III-a. Persons who require for medical reasons after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver may apply for a special permit pursuant to RSA 266:61-a, IX.
IV. The commissioner shall adopt rules under RSA 541-A relative to the administration and enforcement of this section.
V. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit after market tinting of the windshield of a vehicle with a strip not wider than 6 inches located at the very top of the windshield, provided that the light transmittance of the strip shall not be less than 35 percent.
VI. Any natural person or any other person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation.
Source. 1989, 160:1. 1990, 44:1. 1997, 252:4, eff. Aug. 18, 1997.
Break out the razor-blades.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:48 AM

Thanks guys, looks like a trip down the tint shop for me soon
Old 05-08-2005, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by rbmc
I'd double check that. I live in LA and have been nailed by CHP for having tint in the front. I looked up the code and it says the windshield and front windows may not have ANY tint except for a clear UV coating.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tgreathead
I'd double check that. I live in LA and have been nailed by CHP for having tint in the front. I looked up the code and it says the windshield and front windows may not have ANY tint except for a clear UV coating.

i have double checked it, my sister bought a civic and it had front tint, barely anything, but she got a ticket for it and had to have it removed... this is what you are going to have to od... dela with the ticket and the tint, or have it removed

the law here says you can have the rears tinted as much as you want but nothing other than a small strip to prevent sunglare at the top of the windshield is allowed

Last edited by jimabena74; 05-08-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Banned

here it is for CA, its probably similar where you live http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
Old 05-08-2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
here it is for CA, its probably similar where you live http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
this is what the window tint companies use or go by:

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
Old 05-08-2005, 12:26 PM

i have double checked it, my sister bought a civic and it had front tint, barely anything, but she got a ticket for it and had to have it removed... this is what you are going to have to od... dela with the ticket and the tint, or have it removed

the law here says you can have the rears tinted as much as you want but nothing other than a small strip to prevent sunglare at the top of the windshield is allowed
yes, we are in agreement.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jc1kz
this is what the window tint companies use or go by:

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
thats great what the window companies go by, that is not however what the state of california allows as per the link i posted is the vehicle code from california
Old 05-08-2005, 01:10 PM

thats great what the window companies go by, that is not however what the state of california allows as per the link i posted is the vehicle code from california

I was born and raised in Laguna Beach, Cali.... and never had any trouble with the windows being tinted.....and now i'm in Dallas Tx and still no one bothers that I've got them tinted "limo tinted" and thats dark very dark.... but then if you bothered to read!!!! @ the bottom it says.....

These laws may not be current and are often enforced differently by different PD's. In all cases, refer to you local authority for enforcement policies, current laws, rules or regulations. Your current state law is the final authority, not this website! The numbers represent the percentage of light transmitted through the tinted glass, so the lower the number, the darker the film allowed. Generally the films are sold as 5%(limo), 20%(dark), 35%(medium), 50%(light).
S.U.V.s often have different regulations, which are not listed here.

AND HAVE A NICE DAY.....