Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

For those with lights on their roofracks

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those with lights on their roofracks

What are you guys with 4 lights on your roofracks running to mount the lights. So far everything I am finding is for 2 lights only. I have a Yak rack like Corey and would like to put 4 Hella's across it.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:48 PM

I have a roof rack but wanted to keep my lighting off of it. I am keeping my Carr brand light rack with my 4 KCs. I got an offer as soon as I got the rack but I think I like it up there to much.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:52 PM

UKMyers,
I have a pair of Wilderness Racks light mounting brackets that clamp onto my BVG basket. Since the brackets are expensive, I just took a 3/16"x1 1/4" steel bar and drilled holes to mount it using the mounting studs of the outer lights. I then drilled 2 more holes in the bar for the inner lights.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Well there are two options....
a. Go to any yak distributor and for about $5-$10 you can get some circular pieces that wrap around the big bar, then have a hole in it for a bolt and then basicly a nut with a plastic grip around so you can get it off with your hands (might want to opt for a regular nut so its harder to get them off). I went this wroute for my rear facing lights. If you have a ski rack, they use them to attach the ski holders to the bars... Sorry, no pics at the moment. I could go to dad's and use his camera and snap a few, but I think corey has some on his site.

b. Yak sells a light mounting bracket $30 (for two lights). Check their site... The only cool part about these is that you can mount the light under and so they would be protected by the farring and then when your wheeling, you can pull the farring down and reveal the lights, the only thing is that your limited to square lights. I checked the mesurements and Hella 550s (the square version of the 500) SHOULD fit. I haven't checked if they actually do yet as I have other things to pay for first before this. I already have some 500s on the TJM and its not too high on the list right now.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep, with my two $30 light brackets on top, that's all I can fit.
Four won't sit up there on the Load Warrior.

The round brackets Turbo is talking about are the Snap Arounds by Yakima.

These are the same ones I used for my shovel holder, you just don't use the bolt and plastic wingnut with them, you use the bolt stud for your lights instead.
I actually test fitted my Hella 500s this way before I got the light brackets, and they will hold the light very nice and secure.

These same Snap Arounds are also what you use with the Slee Hi-Lift holder as seen here.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. I am having a hard time visualizing some of these set ups so I think I'll just have to wait till I get there to do some research. I am just trying to prep the runner for her inagural run through my mighty 700 person strong hometown. I'm pretty sure it's going to turn some heads considering 80% of the cars in town are beaters.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

hey corey , i jsut ordered my yak light brackets , but maybe you could tell me , do they lock down in any way ? or jsut use wing nuts to fasten them ?

airrikk17
Old 08-17-2003, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

if you get the yakima load warrior basket, and then mount lights to that, how far above the top of the basket do the lights stick up? i want to get a setup like that, but the thing is, i don't think i'd fit in my garage. as it is when i put the snowboard racks on my yak rack, i only have an inch of clearance pulling into the garage.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:36 AM
Contributing Member

Corey referred to his truck once as looking like Mickey Mouse and he modded his brackets somehow to lower them.. Corey????
Old 08-18-2003, 05:50 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Should be some pics in my write-up of the brackets.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/tando/all_tech/all_tech.htm
Scroll down to the Yakima mods one.

Airrikk17, here is a shot from the back showing how the bracket attached when they were up higher giving the Walt Disney effect.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/tando/mod18a.jpg
You can see for the top it uses one of the Yakima Snap Arounds posted above in an earlier post here.
Same Snaps Arounds that are for many Yakima accessories.
For the bottom it uses a little plastic wrap around with a screw that clamps it to the lower skinnier tube.

No locks, it uses screws and bolts to secure it.

I don't really have a good close-up of how they are mounted now, but this kind of shows you.
I'll have to get a good pic sometime and update my write-up of how the bracket now attaches.
Nothing special was bought, you just mount it a little different.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

thanks corey , your always so helpful and informative .

airrikk17