Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

EROCC...Anyone else go out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EROCC...Anyone else go out?

Hey all,
I went to the EROCC Nationals on Sunday in Jellico, TN. This was my first time visiting the event and in a general sense this was the COOLEST event I've ever layed my eyes upon. If you haven't ever been to one of these types of events then you are missing out on some serious action. I brought my wife, brother, and cousin with me. My cousing (Greg) brought his camcorder with him as well as did I. We spent the better part of the event away from each other capturing as many angles and different parts of the courses as possible. Sometimes we got the same course, but at different angles. I witnessed the Yotatech buggy gettin' it awn! I've got film of the Yotatech team punishing The Boss hillclimb with ease! When I can find my adapter cord that goes from the camera to the computer I'll be posting them either to the web (if I have enough room) or maybe I'll find someone else to host the bandwidth for me.

We arrived at the event at exactly 9am, which is a good thing because it started at 9am and ran until 3pm. There was the unlimited class tearing up everything in sight and then there was the limited class that was following them through most of the obstacles except for some wouldn't go do the 'bonus' part of the course. I was amazed at another 'Yota pickup. It was painted flourescent green and had major body damage - evident that the guy knew exactly what to do behind the wheel of this rig. From what I could get out of it, it was a 1st Gen w/the solid axle, 22R, stock axles, I think a 6" lift using leafsprings. Some of the body panels were chopped to clear the 37" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. I'm telling you guys needed to see what this rig was capable of! In the limited class, up until this point on Sunday the Green team was in 2nd place! The obstacle that I have them tackling put them a little further back, but it wasn't because lack of effort was not there! He was raising hell!

There was more than one flip and dip on the course. I can't remember off the top of my head who was flippin' and dippin', but there were quite a few. At one point a spotter had a VERY close call with losing his whole leg. The team was trying to navigate an upward climb and the rig shot sidways towards the berm of the hill where the spotter was trying to get out of the way. The rig came to a rest (tires still spinning) on the spotters right leg. Greg got this on film (you can even see the rubber mark on his kneecap!). There was a moment of silence on that part of the course as the spotter started to hold his leg while standing and then abruptly sat down clutching his leg. After about 5 mins. of the proper officials coming down and checking him out the rig was fired back up and attempting the obstacle again.

Once again, if you haven't been to one of these events, you gotta go! They are nationwide so there should be one close to you next year when they start back up again. I know I'm going to as many across the nation as I can next year. I'll be taking 4 batteries and a slew of extra tapes so I can get as much footage as possible. I'll also have to invest in a portable stand so the camera isnt' as shaky.

After the event was over the crew with me was wanting to do a little wheeling of our own, so we stopped in at Royal Blue in Caryville, TN. I'm really surprised in how well my truck performed. On Saturday I purchased a set (2) of some BFG A/T's because I had a flat and was running on the spare. On the front of the truck I have some Bridgestone Dueler ATP II's that have about 1/2 tread left on them. We did some minor wheeling, got in a predicament and found out how easily the metal on a Toyota will bend (particularly on the bed of the truck). I did mostly 2WD on the trails with no incidents and locked into 4lo when needed. All in all, the truck climbs and runs through smaller mud holes with ease. Glad I could experience that so if and when the time comes when the truck is no longer my DD I can set it up to wheel like I want to. Until then, I'm still sinking cash into my 87 Ford F150 and loving to hit the really big mud holes!

Ya'll take it easy, have fun wheeling, and get out to the next rockcrawling event as soon as possible - BTW be sure to bring bug spray!

Oh yeah, if this is in the wrong forum, please move for me.