Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Texas_Ace's 2000 Supercharged 4Runner 2 years later Dyno, Meth injection +more power!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Speedy
Thanks TA. On the hunt for a kit now. I really want that VC-50 controller from snow. It'll work perfect with my gauge setup replacing the boost gauge. $549 shipped for the kit isn't bad either.

It will work fine, basically uses the same stuff as all the other kits, just the feature list that is different really.

The coolingmist looks like this: http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedispl...controllerkits,

But it does cost more and the failsafe doesn't really mean much on a supercharger like ours without custom work like I said. Although they do offer the non-failsafe version for $500 IIRC.

If you really want a fun project ditch the supercharger and try out the new OBX Turbo kit. WAY more power.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What OBX kit? For v6? I can't find it anywhere on the web.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:50 AM

OBX are stainless headers.

The 3.4 turbo kit on flea bay is cbx if I remember correctly.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
What OBX kit? For v6? I can't find it anywhere on the web.
Opps, my bad, I meant CX Racing.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...IT-5VZFE-NO-IC

They offer it with turbo or just the manifold as well. It does fit the 4runner fine except it doesn't bolt up to the stock exhaust, which should be replaced if going turbo anyways so not an issue IMO.

Personally I would get the manifold and then pick out the turbo myself, there turbo selection is too large for 99% of guys goals.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, got the Coolingmist CMGS stage 2 installed. Thanks for the tips TA. Dialing it in now. Seems I'm able to hit a pretty decent AFR with JUST the W/M injection. I actually dialed back the injection to get to 12.0 AFR. It was low 11s at first. I have it starting at 4.5psi and maxing out at 8psi at present.

I started getting an odd stumble at WOT BEFORE installing the kit. Not sure what was up there, but figured bad fuel and moved on with the install. Now I'm still getting this stumble. Gotta figure that out and the on to more power. Gonna check coils and plugs first. Fueling looks good!

I still have the URD 7th kit installed but zeroed out the fuel map. Still have timing pulled in timing map until I get the AFR dialed in and this stumble figured out.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:21 AM

Got the stumble figured out. Denso IK22 plugs are flat worn out after 45,000 miles of use. I hooked up OBDII and saw cylinder misfires for several cylinders stored. Pulled plugs, and they're shot. Regapped them back down to .032" to get by and it runs like a top. They had worn to over .040" and some the tip is worn badly. Reading, this seems like a very common problem in the 5VZ-FE.

Ordered NGK 2667 BKR7EIX IX Iridium Plugs to replace and will install Saturday. Lots of confusion around what plugs to use and what gap to run. These are two steps colder than stock, the ones that match up to the IK22, AND come pre-gapped to .031" - https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9352. I'm gonna try these instead of the IK22 plugs this go around.

Did my first full RPM pulls on the way to work this morning on the water meth injection, and it's AWESOME. Should have done it years ago. Now to start dialing it in.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:21 AM

Lots of testing and tuning this weekend. My primary goal was to regain the timing being pulled due to heat, and increased consistency between WOT passes. Both have been accomplished. However.......

In this cold dense air I'm running lean up top. I've maxed out my fuel system with the 7th injector at 5500RPM. The AFR wants to creep past 12.3 - 12.5. In warmer air this hasn't been an issue. Logs show I'm making 10psi with the meth spraying, so perhaps sealing better at the rotors. This is on a 2.2 pulley. I definitely need a larger nozzle and I think these online nozzle calculators are way off.

So far cheapest solution I've found for water/meth "solution" is a gallon of -20 washer fluid and a 12oz bottle of Heet from Wallyworld. The two together cost $3.16. I'm going to continue to search for straight methanol locally so I can mix my own, but so far no dice. I'll have to stock up on this as spring approaches as I'm sure the -20 fluid is seasonal.

I've ordered a Devil's Own 7GPH nozzle and we'll see how that does.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 AM

Well, 7GPH nozzle was the ticket. It wouldn't fit in my Coolingmist nozzle holder with the nice nozzle filter installed, so I had to remove that. Might replace the nozzle holder with the DO version to support the filter down the road.

With 1 gallon of blue -20 washer fluid and 12oz of HEET, I had to dial back the flow rate to prevent being too rich. I did some table napkin math and figured 5GPH was the actual right number, and adjusted my start and stop points to insure I maxed out at 5GPH. This meant I start at 4.5psi and had it max out at 12psi, even though my max boost is 9.5 to 10. Hope that makes sense.

This got me right in the sweet spot of AFR that my truck seems to like which is right around 12 - 12.5.

Ya'lls may be similar but mine tends to get unhappy if too rich and not only do I lose power from the over fuel, but also it pulls timing as well for whatever reason. If I keep it close to 12.0 I get max timing and it's VERY lively.

I may be able to eliminate the bottle of Heet and back down my max injection to 10psi. I'll try that on the next tank full. Would save $1.50 per refill.

I've not tried the 2.1 pulley to see what that does. Need to get that ordered. Checked some logs and seeing 18-19 degrees of timing at max RPM vs. 14 I had before. Makes a huge difference.

Will do some more testing/logging this weekend. The truck seems to adjust and give more the more I drive it.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:27 PM

Tuning complete on the 2.2 pulley.

2.1 pulley ordered.

I've got a little overhead with the 7GPH nozzle, hoping it's enough to handle the 2.1.

Truck's nice and strong. 1 gallon of blue -20 washer fluid and 12oz of Heet are the ticket for me and cheap at about $3 total. I just bought 24 bottles of each from local retailer while it was cheap and available to get me through summer.

Checking with a local race fuel shop for 5gallon pails of methanol, but expect it will be more expensive than the washer fluid/heet solution.

Looks like with the current setup 1 washer res will last me at least 1.5 - 2 tanks of fuel. I don't spend very much time at WOT and 5500RPM. With all the tuning I've gone through about a tank of fluid. Maybe a little more.

I've been at this a while and can dial in tunes pretty quick. 3-5 runs and done.

I've got some video I'll post up later.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Done!

2.1 pulley + water meth injection + 12.0 - 12.1 AFR = MO POWAH! Very fast truck now for sure!

Video to come.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:32 PM

W/M+7th or just W/M?

Hello, new here. Coming from Tacomaworld where people don’t normally add superchargers. Thought I’d ask you what you recommend before I install this 7th injector kit. I have an 04 automatic at sea level and have the TRD S/C with no fuel mods yet. I’m getting the high gear low RPM ping, It’s pretty bad I think, and I have a hard time driving highway speeds without pingin. I have to slow down and slowly get back to speed keeping the RPMs down.

I originally wanted to just run a water meth kit but when I started to get the ping like I’m getting now I just went with the 7th but have yet to install. Now I’m rethinking that. Do you just run the water/meth without any piggybacks or are you still getting a tune from the 7th injector kit you ran in the beginning? The only reason I went with the 7th was for the timing calibrator. But if that can all be fixed with a W/M kit like snow I’d go in that direction.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:26 PM

Have you checked out the performance section? I assure you there are many S/C guys there. Now on to your question. A meth kit running straight meth would cure the ping- somewhat.Eventually you ECU is going to recognize the extra fuel in closed loop situations and tune out fuel from the stock injectors, and you'll be right back where you are. You REALLY need a tuning solution to fix the ping, whether it being adding fuel, or retarding timing below 3,000rpm etc. Unless you've already purchased the 7th injector kit, don't bother. It's very limited and there is a MUCH better solution available. The AEM F/IC is $380 brand new. You can use it with your stock injectors to remove timing in the troublesome area, and later you can add larger injetors and crank up the boost some more. You have the ability to data log too. Just my .02 coming from a meth kit to piggyback, I'd never go back. I do still run meth injection as a safeguard.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
Have you checked out the performance section? I assure you there are many S/C guys there. Now on to your question. A meth kit running straight meth would cure the ping- somewhat.Eventually you ECU is going to recognize the extra fuel in closed loop situations and tune out fuel from the stock injectors, and you'll be right back where you are. You REALLY need a tuning solution to fix the ping, whether it being adding fuel, or retarding timing below 3,000rpm etc. Unless you've already purchased the 7th injector kit, don't bother. It's very limited and there is a MUCH better solution available. The AEM F/IC is $380 brand new. You can use it with your stock injectors to remove timing in the troublesome area, and later you can add larger injetors and crank up the boost some more. You have the ability to data log too. Just my .02 coming from a meth kit to piggyback, I'd never go back. I do still run meth injection as a safeguard.
Yeah, I have it already. A few things I don’t want to do. Tune something from scratch, Gadget told me it’s good for 99.9% of trucks out of the box. And wire up a piggyback with a universal kit where I have to figure out what goes to what.And on top of that, yeah it’s expensive as hell but I’d easily get back up to there I am with the AEM at $380 and then Snow meth injection at $500...plus shipping on all that....I could save some cash by just going AEM and new injectors $380 plus 3-400 but I really don’t want a system that’s going to need a lot of tweaking and the possibility to screw up with zero tuning knowledge.Now, how is it limited? And why is data logging beneficial?
Old 12-24-2017, 08:10 AM

I'd never do bigger injectors when a 7th is available. It's just so easy to tune. Just add fuel where needed and done.

I later added w/m injection just because I got bored. This allowed me to drop from a 2.2 pulley to a 2.1. I went with the Coolingmist progressive controller and it was pretty cost effective and works well. I have videos on my youtube channel of the install and results.

I've been playing with the mixture a bit to achieve max power in all RPM ranges. It's a bit tricky in the lower RPM ranges as the w/m can cause a slight bog until RPMs pick up. I need to ask TA about that.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy
I'd never do bigger injectors when a 7th is available. It's just so easy to tune. Just add fuel where needed and done.

I later added w/m injection just because I got bored. This allowed me to drop from a 2.2 pulley to a 2.1. I went with the Coolingmist progressive controller and it was pretty cost effective and works well. I have videos on my youtube channel of the install and results.

I've been playing with the mixture a bit to achieve max power in all RPM ranges. It's a bit tricky in the lower RPM ranges as the w/m can cause a slight bog until RPMs pick up. I need to ask TA about that.
Thanks for the input speedy. I ended up installing the 7th. The biggest thing that still makes me cringe is splicing into the ECU wiring. I made a mistake and had to fix it best I could and I hate that. I didn’t find out until later that URD also sells wiring harnesses. I’m a bit annoyed that it isn’t an option on the 7th injector page nor is it even mentioned . I would have picked it up too. Can’t go back now. I also saw your blog on pulling the wires through the firewall. I didn’t do this as I was nervous that I wouldn’t be able to get them back through without dismantling the entire dash. Although, I should have tried as it would have allowed me to make better connections.

I’m still getting some ping in HG/LR but very little. I’m going to get my AFR hooked up tomorrow and I’ll report back. I’m just a little confused on what exactly I need to do to get rid of the high load ping. Gadget said to retard timing a bit. Others say you need to have the injector cut on earlier or add more fuel. Either way, I’m going to need some help and advice on really dialing it in as I have no idea what I’m doing. Even with Gadgets tuning guides. I also saw your post on how you road tuned. I’m going to try and use that method.

Last edited by BLKTaco; 12-29-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:05 AM

Cooling mist

Wonder if u can help me, installing a cooling is
Installing a cooling mist system on an MR2 gen5 with 320hp, the car keeps boggling out, using winter windshield water, can this be the cause or the injector is to big? Hope u can help me
Old 01-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by M Eduardo Caro
Wonder if u can help me, installing a cooling is
Installing a cooling mist system on an MR2 gen5 with 320hp, the car keeps boggling out, using winter windshield water, can this be the cause or the injector is to big? Hope u can help me
Yes, too much water can easily cause it to bog. First check that your plugs are not to blame, it is easy to get spark blowout with water/meth injection.

Then I would try a smaller nozzle and see what happens. Keep going down till it runs good.

At that power level and on the stock ECU you don't really need meth since boost cut kicks in around 18.5psi IIRC. and you don't run out of fuel until ~340whp.

So a small nozzle should work fine in that setup. Now if you removed the boost cut and are running more boost, then you will need a larger nozzle and more meth for sure.