Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SF Bay area 4runner consulting on purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF Bay area 4runner consulting on purchase?

Im in the market for a 3rd gen 99-02 4runner and would love it if any forum experts were willing to consult on evaluating a couple cars Im shopping. Let me know what an expected fee would be. PM me. Thanks
Old 01-08-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Wazu, if you're trying to get into 3rd gens you'll find a lot more activity (especially in the SFO bay area, like me) on Toyota-4Runner.org. There's more 1st gen related stuff happening here.

First thing -- make sure to run a CARFAX! There's a ton of odometer fraud happening, especially in the SF bay.

Second -- check for RUST! Also, if your CarFax shows that the vehicle lived in NJ or something and just got brought to CA, then run away fast!
Old 01-08-2018, 05:53 PM

Thank you. Ill post over there too. I took one our for a test drive and it had a few issues:

Smelled terrible...I think I can handle this with a cleaning and at worst, replace carpets.

Shakes a little over 65...I realize this can be many things...hope it's simple tires/balancing.

The engine has red gasket seal all around the head...possibly engine work? Is this a red flag?

Also, this is a Limited 2001 and the suspension wasnt lifted, but has bilsteins...i think this is good, but this isnt stock right? Signs that it's been off roaded?

Thanks for any input!
Old 01-08-2018, 05:55 PM

Thank you. Ill post over there too. I took one our for a test drive and it had a few issues:

Smelled terrible...I think I can handle this with a cleaning and at worst, replace carpets.

Shakes a little over 65...I realize this can be many things...hope it's simple tires/balancing.

The engine has red gasket seal all around the head...possibly engine work? Is this a red flag?

Also, this is a Limited 2001 and the suspension wasnt lifted, but has bilsteins...i think this is good, but this isnt stock right? Signs that it's been off roaded?

Thanks for any input!

red seal
more red seal?
more red seal stuff
looks rust free?
rear suspension
random shop rag...left from oil change clean up? or put there to mop up possible leak?

more rust inspection , looks ok?

Last edited by Wazu; 01-08-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:43 PM

front suspension were bilsteins...is this lifted? good or bad sign? i know they are good but indicates offroading?
Old 01-08-2018, 11:13 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
The truck "looks" mint, but I live in the rust belt,.. Someone that doesn't work on motors often did a very poor job of sealing up the valve covers, perhaps they didn't want to replace the rubber gasket and tried adding way to much sealant, or they did both gasket and way to much sealant, no big deal really, common spot to leak after 18 years, I see either fluid from t-case / transmission, or it is grease from the front drive shaft being slung onto that area. You can buy bilsteins from many places, they work great, it looks like they made the lower front shock bolt hole larger to fit the larger sized bilstein shock mount and bolt size, but again I don't see that as an issue if I am seeing it correctly, I know you can order the shocks with the OEM shock end though. 1 good thing to check is if the radiator was replaced due to strawberry milkshake, especially recently, if so test drive it to insure everything is shifting like a 3rd gen, looks like someone serviced the rear diff very recently, I would question why out of curiosity but this is a good thing usually, I change mine every 30-40,000Km as they burn up diff fluid in the Toyotas.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:43 PM

Thanks Malcolm! The truck looks good for sure. The more I look at the ext pic, and knowing it has bilsteins, I think it's lifted...agree? Also the cladding seems to have been painted black? Dont think it was ever offered that way stock.

Last, this has 250K miles, which worries me, but Im reading lots of mixed opinions on whether this is an issue or not...seems to depend on how it was maintained. Unfortunately, there arent much records beyond oil changes.

Do you think the fluid or grease being an issue to inspect?

Will reseach the straberry milkshake, had not heard of this before.

Rear diff service just changing fluids?

Anything I should ask the independent mechanic to look for?

Old 01-09-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...w-members.html
Old 01-09-2018, 01:25 PM

thx, been learning a lot through those links!
Old 01-09-2018, 05:33 PM

Anyone else think this looks lifted?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
looks like stock 99' height, 250,000mi is a ˟˟˟˟ ton of miles in my world, I prefer pay extra and buy them with under 200,000Km/124,000mi and hope to get to 550,000Km/342,000mi with regular maintenance and no major issues, but again we have rust issues aswell that shorten the lifespan, if the truck was maintained you should get lots of miles, but that is a lot of miles to forget a few things,.. never could wrap my head around miles.. And the cladding, never saw that colour combo before..

Last edited by Malcolm99; 01-09-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 AM

yup the mileage is killing me...would rather not deal with an engine or tranny issue! Two owners but not a lot of maintenance history. What to do what to do
Old 01-10-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Out of curiosity what is the price tag? As @Malcolm99 pointed out, us rust belters would kill to get vehicles that looked that clean underneath. If it's any consolation or comparison, I bought my '99 LTD about 2 years ago with 83k miles on it for $6500 with an asking price of $8300. Mine was/is in nearly as good condition as yours but not quite considering it came from New Jersey.

IIRC bilstein was the OE for LTDs. So even though those aren't original toyota shocks, they very-well could be the OE equivalent off-the-shelf without going back to the dealer for insane mark-up.

Is there any indication, sticker on the timing belt cover, that a timing belt was done? Can you take the VIN to a local dealer and have them run it for service history? Was the vehicle local? Is it at some used car lot? If so, is it schmarmy or does it look legit?

How is the interior? You say there is a smell, is it cigarettes? Pets? Fast-food? It's odd that a car lot wouldn't have a lot attendant spend an hour detailing a truck that's for sale and dousing everything in that damn purple spray. I well maintained interior, no cracked bits, switched not worn to ˟˟˟˟, etc. goes hand in hand with a well maintained vehicle.

Take a look at Haberno's build up. Her trucks have like 300k+ miles and have been worked very hard, but are clean, organized, and well maintained as her 100 page thread can attest.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM

Thanks. Price is looking at tad over $6000. Sounds like you got a great deal!

Smell is wet dog...not good. Good to know on the shocks. Car is at a used car lot...not great vibes by not bad either.

Unfortunately couldnt find a sticker for the timing belt, so Id need to form over $800-1000 right off the bat. Also would do the radiator or cooler mod, so more $.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Timing belt for $1000 give or take sounds about right, if you're handy it's $300 in parts and a day or two with wrenches and can easily be done in your driveway.

Wet dog!!! That coooould beeee wet carpet, which would be an indicator of mildew, possibly a leaking/clogged sunroof drain, leaking windshield seal, flood(?!?!)

Again, I'm surprised they haven't had a lot attendant clean/detail/ fumigate the car. $20 in wages to a lacky would increase the sales potential of the vehicle....... or they CAN'T get rid of the odor.