Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Texas_Ace's 2000 Supercharged 4Runner 2 years later Dyno, Meth injection +more power!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah I wouldn't dream of using just that for my fueling needs. I also run 6 318cc fuel injectors.
What are the stock fuel injectors? I don't even remember.

With the meth kit i have setup it is adding enough fuel to basically add 75cc or so to each of them if you want to break it down to the simplest terms.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace

With that nozzle and pump you only have about 65psi of pressure and 300cc of flow tops. That is a BIG difference between 250psi and 800cc+.
Yeah those numbers seem to be around what I'm finding in a search. Here's a guy talking about doubling the flow with a priming pump: http://forums.evolutionm.net/water-a...ease-flow.html

Not sure I'd want all that fluid going through my SCer anyway. I'll stick to the 6- 318cc injectors off the fuel rail.

Good luck
Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah those numbers seem to be around what I'm finding in a search. Here's a guy talking about doubling the flow with a priming pump: http://forums.evolutionm.net/water-a...ease-flow.html

Not sure I'd want all that fluid going through my SCer anyway. I'll stick to the 6- 318cc injectors off the fuel rail.

Good luck
Yep, i knew i was not that far off, like i said done a lot of research over the years.

What mix of meth/water are you using? You would be surprised how much better meth works and the more you can inject the better. It adds oxygen to the mixture along with knock suppression and cooler intake temps and EGT's.

Far as it going through the SC, consider this, roots supercharger were used for YEARS and still to this day with carbs which means that ALL the fuel to the motor is going through the SC. They lasted just fine and actually work better with carbs. The fuel helps them seal.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

What mix of meth/water are you using?
50/50

Far as it going through the SC, consider this, roots supercharger were used for YEARS and still to this day with carbs which means that ALL the fuel to the motor is going through the SC. They lasted just fine and actually work better with carbs. The fuel helps them seal.
Interesting point, I never thought of that.

I found this about the stock 5VZFE fuel injectors:

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
the 95-96 tacomas did not have the same... i got mine flow tested at 230 and a 2001s came in at 248.
The guys at toyota here (TRD "reps") mentioned same thing that 97+ there were slightly larger injectors due to there change over or what not and of course the ecu was calibrated to reflect that. They also used that as an excuse why you couldnt use the s/c on 95-96 model TACOMAS (not 4runners).

Of course like all toyota dealers its kinda sketchy info but these guys are pritty good.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, the water/meth going through the SC will not hurt it at all, it helps it a lot though. It is called running it wet.

Basically all of the top dragsters run this setup with more meth/nitro then you can dream of and it works great. If you actually look inside the SC there is nothing for it to hurt anyways.

If an 8000hp engine that runs 12+ gallons of fuel through the SC in 1/4 mile, (thats around 1400gph BTW) works fine, i think that 10gph through our SC's will work just fine lol.

Interesting injector info, So with my setup i basically have 325cc injectors, same as yours more or less only using meth for the extra fuel.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Is that roll of plastic tubing rated for 250 psi?

Last edited by mt_goat; 01-27-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, at least that, we use tubing just like that on paintball guns and for nitrous systems that have 800+psi.

The rating is at least 800psi on the stuff we use for paintball and it looks exactly like this stuff, used 1 of my paintball fittings actually when i had the AEM kit.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Well, did some more testing today, tried out washerfluid and can confirm that it works IF you can find -20 or better rated fluid, the best we have here is -0 and it is only about 20% meth.

The lower the temp rating the more meth it has, i mixed the washer fluid with a little meth to a mixture of around 40% meth and AFR's came right down and it picked up some power, will do some more testing later.

I refilled it with pure meth and did some quick tests, i have to say i really like this new controller, it is truly progressive vs the AEM on/off controller. and the 10gph nozzle is the perfect size, at 100% duty it keeps AFR's in the mid 11's at redline.

Did run into a problem, long story but the controller is not outputting a MAP voltage like it should and without it I can't tune it. Gonna call tomorrow and see if i can figure out what is going on.

Once i can tune it though it should work PREFECT for what i need!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Hit a minor snag today, seems i found a bug in the software that stops the output MAP signal when in voltage mode which is needed for this setup to work.

Talked to coolingmist and they are working on an update to fix it, till then just running in normal boost mode and it is working great, switched back to pure meth as well.

Running pure meth, the 10gph nozzle is a tad on the large side but it works fine. I think the combo of more pressure and the larger nozzle made the actual output of the nozzle a lot more then my old setup even those it is not that much bigger in rating.

If you were running a 50/50 mix the 10gph is perfect. I might try the 7gph nozzle and see how that works, should allow me to run a higher pressure/duty cycle which will help atomization. Dont need more then about 75% duty even at redline to keep AFR's in check with this nozzle. So a little smaller nozzle would spray the same amount but at a higher pressure which should work better.

Oh and now that i am back to meth, I am still amazed at the power difference from water to meth. WAY more power with meth and it runs a lot smoother as well.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Been a few weeks, figured i would give a quick update.

So it has been running with the Cooling mist setup for a month or so now running strictly off the boost signal till i get the updated firmware. It has been running GREAT, no problems at all. I can't say enough how much better the coolingmist system is over the AEM, it is night and day.

Today was nice out so i decided to do some testing on a few things.

First off i wanted to see if i am still getting belt slip after adding the second idler pulley, so i sprayed it down with some belt conditioner to see if i gained any boost, nothing. So looks like i have basically got the belt slip issue taken care of but that then begs the question, where is all my boost going??

Still only making about ~9psi of boost, should be 12psi+.

I also decided to try playing with differnt nozzle sizes, i have already some some more playing with water/meth mixtures and like i found before, the more meth i can have the better but a little water also seems to help.

I tried going to the 7gph nozzle vs the 10 i have been using. There was a noticable drop in power even though my AFR's were "better". Reinstalled the 10gph and the power was better again even though it was running richer then before (in the 10's for most of the powerband then leaning out to mid 12's up top).

So I think i was right on with my guesstimate that the 10gph nozzle would be the right size. This mirrors other things i have read about people that use it with superchargers, they don't start seeing big gains till they are spraying a lot of meth. Seems that point is usually around 10-15gph.

Overall the truck feels great and still no problems at all. WAY WAY WAY better then the 7th injector setup thats for darn sure!

My 7th kit is for sale, boxed and ready to go BTW.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 02-17-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

FINALLY found at least most of where my lost boost is going!!

So i got fed up with not knowing where all my lost boost was going and decided i was gonna track it down one way or the other today.

Turns out my hunch on the bypass valve causing me some problems was right, pulled it off and it is a long way from sealing:

As you can see there is a large gap around the edge. So i manually blocked off the bypass to test it out and sure enough, picked up 1psi, was up around 10.5psi.

I kept searching for leaks and found another one as well, my injector seals are leaking, so i am guessing i have another 1psi or so in lost boost there as well.

So next week i am gonna order some new seals and gonna get some new intake manifold gaskets as well, plus anything else i think might be leaking down in there (any ideas?) and seal it up. Hopfully that will next me some more boost.

Meanwhile i am talking to a buddy of mine about making a new plate for the bypass valve, one that actually seals. Once i get that then i should be good to go and i think i should be right around the 11-12psi i should have been at all along.

Also shows that i did indeed fix the belt slipping with that extra idler pulley.

So i am happy, looking forward to fixing all these issues and seeing how she runs with an extra 3psi of boost or so.

This also explains why my fuel trims are all out of whack, they are adding fuel all over the place and always have. I figured that was just because the SC was installed but now i see it wasn't.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Still trying to track down a replacement bypass valve plate. But i did pull the injectors off and looked at them, all the o-rings looked fine. The leaking parts were the insulators apparently even though they looked fine.

They are expensive, $7.50 from toyota, so i found some o-rings i had laying around that fit and installed them below the insulators to hopefully help them seal.

Started it up a little while ago and it seems to have at least helped, picked up about .5-.8psi of boost, not quite as much as i expected honestly but it is an improvement.

Gonna run a boost test tomorrow or the next day to see if it helped any.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 AM

I have a question that no doubt will require me to put on a flame suit. What are your thoughts on the possibility of running mid-grade fuel (89 octane vs 91) on a TRD SC with the stock pulley and methanol injection? I ask because the engine doesn't need more than 89 octane below, say, 2 lbs of boost. If you have a nice progressive methanol injection setup and start dialing in 50/50 methanol at that threshold, it has the effect of raising the octane of the fuel, but only in-boost, thereby saving money on gas the 90% of your drive when you're not in the boost.

I am prepared to be blasted. Go for it.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
I have a question that no doubt will require me to put on a flame suit. What are your thoughts on the possibility of running mid-grade fuel (89 octane vs 91) on a TRD SC with the stock pulley and methanol injection? I ask because the engine doesn't need more than 89 octane below, say, 2 lbs of boost. If you have a nice progressive methanol injection setup and start dialing in 50/50 methanol at that threshold, it has the effect of raising the octane of the fuel, but only in-boost, thereby saving money on gas the 90% of your drive when you're not in the boost.

I am prepared to be blasted. Go for it.
It's not as far off as it sounds. Yes, you could use the setup in this method and it would work ok. You would not get the same power as 93oct or be as safe but if you inject enough water/meth it would be safe enough.

Personally i would never do that on a consistent basis. In a pinch sure.

Also, I find that the sooner you start injecting the meth the better. I have mine set as low as it will go, it kicks on at 1psi of boost.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Well, update today.

First off I can confirm that my secondary supercharger belt tensioner does indeed work as it should, no more belt slip that i can detect since that.

I also FINALLY got around to tuning the meth injection kit. Up till now i was just running it in boost mode without using the second box that allows for a 3d map of the injection to be programed.

I got out there today and decided it has been long enough so i spent a few hours street tuning and got it dialed pretty good. Got to say, the boost only mode is pretty close, only place it has trouble is on the top end where it needs more fuel so i can keep the AFR's even across the rev range.

So got it dialed in so it holds a consistent 12:1 AFR for now. I can now adjust the AFR it holds in 2 second with the twist of a knob on the controller. Gonna play around with different AFR's and the OBDII scanner pretty soon. Also break out the gtech to see what works best.

As it is, the tune actually made a good amount of difference as i also went from a water/meth mix to basically pure meth. I LOVE this setup, the tuning interface is kinda chunky, made by a programmer and not a tuner for sure, but otherwise it is very simple and just as easy to tune as the 7th injector kit i used to have. Now that i have a liner AFR dialed in fine tuning the system will be as easy as turning a knob. Talk about easy!

If you have access to $3/gal methanol like me, this is the way to go. 93oct is 3.70/gal here.

It runs better then ever now! Really quick. I am very impressed and can't wait to see what happens when i get the new by-pass valve plate.

Speaking of which I finally got that ordered, should have it in a few weeks. That is at least 1psi of boost there and should put me over 10psi.

I can also add to the list of cars my truck has beat a 90's maxima, late model civic and a few other SUV's.

Lastly I weighed the truck the other day and without me in it, half tank of gas and otherwise as i drive it on the street it comes out to ~4400lb. Lighter then i expected. I was thinking closer to 5k.

Once i dial in the tune with the gtech i might stop off at the dyno again to see the improvements and pretty sure i will make another video as well.

After all the abuse i gave it today i did run into a rather odd problem. I was leaking transmission fluid. The strange part is it was somehow coming from the top of the transmission, no idea what is up there that might leak, anyone have any ideas?

In other news I have SERIOUSLY been considering going with a turbo setup on my truck. If i could find a manifold for it I would do it for sure but there are no manifolds to be had.

Think i would run a 6266 turbo which should make just under 400whp on pump gas which is also the limit of the stock motor from what i have read. But thats moot until I can find a manifold.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A guy around here used to have a old 80s camaro that he installed two turbos in after the manifolds (one per side) and then ran a ton of piping to a intercooler. would be alot of plumbing and a PITA in our semi-tight bays but maybe something to consider?
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Doug18
A guy around here used to have a old 80s camaro that he installed two turbos in after the manifolds (one per side) and then ran a ton of piping to a intercooler. would be alot of plumbing and a PITA in our semi-tight bays but maybe something to consider?
I have considered the remote mount turbo setup very hard as well but the lag from it and the loss of overall performance is not something i really want to do. I would need to run a smaller turbo to keep the lag down and that would mean less power (although still more then the supercharger).
Old 10-14-2011, 06:42 PM

same texasace from mr2oc?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by totogsr
same texasace from mr2oc?
Hmmmm, to admit to that one or not, that is a tough question......

Yes?

lol
Old 10-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Why not get this guy to weld you up a manifold?

Problem solved

Quick Reply: Texas_Ace's 2000 Supercharged 4Runner 2 years later Dyno, Meth injection +more power!