Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Sorry didn’t mean to get on my soapbox. By the way, the only thing I really did not catch was the years that this unit came out of. I do frequent several yards and looking for a few models of Subaru and years can make it easier to find one and a sensor that would work for you as well. Let me know and I might be able to find something this weekend when I am out. The weather here is supposed to be BEAUTIFUL! For the PacNorWest a sunny day is a junk yard scrounge day! SWEET!
This gauge pack was an option in the mid to late 90's, not sure the exact years, maybe '96-'00 or '01 Apparently they were most common in Foresters, you might find them in Outbacks also.

Last edited by SoCalPaul; 10-23-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but the part number is mentioned on the instructions listed on page 1 here. I looked it up online and you can get the whole gauge pack including temp sensor for $104 brand new.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Weird that it only goes up to 9200 ft.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 PM

Good lord, whine - whine - snuffle - snort. I didn't think of it first and I,m jealous. Looks like crap what a waste of time!!.. Now i gotta go to the upullit and find me one. Cool gadget!!!
Jim
Old 10-24-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by ryan12321
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but the part number is mentioned on the instructions listed on page 1 here. I looked it up online and you can get the whole gauge pack including temp sensor for $104 brand new.

I couldn't find anyone who had it. Any chance you remember the website? Original price was around $400-$500.

Paul
Old 10-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalPaul
I couldn't find anyone who had it. Any chance you remember the website? Original price was around $400-$500.

Paul
1stsubaruparts.com. It was the first site that showed up on a google search for "subaru oem parts".

It lets you add it to your cart, but I didn't buy it so I'm not sure if its actually in stock. I was close to buying it until I saw that the altitude only reads to 9200 ft. It's not likely that would matter that much 99% of the time, but I'd rather it work higher.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:50 PM

Strange, if I look it up by the part number it shows $105.00. If i go through the Forester accessories catalog it shows $275.00.

Paul
Old 10-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

If you can't fit or find one of these beauties you could go for one of those compass/temp rear view mirrors Ritzyrunner just installed one in his ride and posted a thread about it, well worth considering IMO.

Here's a link...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/g...nstall-134747/

Not trying to steal your thunder SoCal just sharing options folks might have missed...

Last edited by aviator; 10-24-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
If you can't fit or find one of these beauties you could go for one of those compass/temp rear view mirrors Ritzyrunner just installed one in his ride and posted a thread about it, well worth considering IMO.

Here's a link...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/g...nstall-134747/

Not trying to steal your thunder SoCal just sharing options folks might have missed...
No problem, the more options the better. That's the purpose of the forums, the exchange of knowledge & ideas. I have considered doing the mirror, but it's much more involved & I like the altimeter. I may buy a GPS soon so the gauge pack may become redundant.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
add me to the list of wanna haves. I will start looking for the Subaru version in the U pull it yards out here. This seems to me a much easier wiring solution than the Yota FMU at the roof.One that I could actually handle myself.

Thanks SOcalPaul and Matthew 404 for showing us the specifics and the instructions, and to RockSlide and to Ritzy for their ground work in the FMU arena.

I admit though the 9200 foot "ceiling" for the altimeter is odd....I like the idea of the general directional heading and the outside temperature in a DIN sized package. Out here in the mountains it is easy to get confused as to which direction you are heading-the old 'go by the sun' works only to a point.

Very cool and thanks for sharing it with us. Ritzy- it is supposed to be 75 here today.

edit: I got a part number of H5010FC001 from local Subie dealership-$420 fits 98-99 Foresters

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 11-14-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: got part number from Burt Subaru
Old 08-21-2009, 06:41 PM

Found this thread, thought it was beautiful. Found a gauge pack on ebay - thought it was beautiful. Didn't come with a temp sensor - wondering if anyone has this and found a temp sensor that works. I tried one from a battery powered ($10) device - didn't work. Rather than throwing money at it, wondering if anyone has advice....
Old 08-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Try a Subaru dealer Libratsio... if you go back through this thread I think you'll find the part # listed some place... one member mentioned using a Toyota temp. sensor.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Yes, there are part numbers listed for the Subaru - but they're for the whole gauge pack (which includes the sensor). Was wondering specifically if SoCalPaul hooked up something to his temp sensor yet....

I'm going to keep searching for info, request some info from some Subaru boards and see if anyone else has a part # that I can use.

Its either that or buy some temp sensors until something works. What I'm afraid will happen though is that I'll find something that will partially work - and be xx% off and I'll have to do math to convert degrees F to F....
Old 08-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

The dealer should be able to get you just the sensor... it makes no sense to me that you'd have to buy the whole thing just to replace a bad sensor.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM

That makes sense. Thats what I'll try next. Will post any updates I might have in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread!!! I've been looking for a unit like that for the past two years. I'm bookmarking this one!

As for the one or few people who don't understand it's uses... Trust me, a basic compass has a 1000 uses in all different kinds of country. Want to know the altitude so you can adjust the jets on carbed snow machines? That would tell you, wouldn't it. I use my barometer all the time. My weather station in my house predicts the weather using it. Nice to know what the weather is going to to and if you're up in the mountains, you wont get too many radio stations to tell you what coming.

Again, great thread, great idea!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 PM

Awesome thread...thnx for sharing.Scouring the junkyardz now! I live in Colorado so Altitude, Barometer AND Compass are all useful toolz for me Great to see new USEFUL ideaz. DAILYDRIVER iz a richard cranium...
Old 08-26-2009, 05:21 AM

Has someone tested this above 9200ft? Does it read higher? For those living in the rockies this wont do much good...
Old 08-26-2009, 05:41 AM

I plan on taking this to Costa Rica - altitudes are pretty high there at times - I'll post feedback when I can.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 PM

Found the appropriate part numbers for the gauge pack.

H5010FC021 - Thermosensor - this is the actual sensor - needed.

H5010FC051 - wiring harness - this plugs directly into the thermosensor - you may be able to rig something up to plug into the thermosensor - but for $16 this came with enough wire to go right from the thermosensor to the unit in the dash. This would be extremely highly recommended if you have this unit without the temp sensor.

H5010FC040 - this I am assuming is the wiring harness to the back of the gauge pack. I already had this and gambled that I wouldn't need it (and luckily I don't).

I've hooked it up on the bench, lights work, temp works, everything looks very cool. Next stop is to put it in the truck.

My plan is to replace my dead power antenna with a Tacoma whip, and while I'm there mount the thermosensor in the passenger front wheelwell under the antenna (somewhere). I figure this would make wiring easier as I'd already be there, and I'll be pulling cable through the firewall anyway.

Pictures to come after I install it. I plan to install it underneath a JVC AVX44 - DVD player (single DIN) which includes Bluetooth.

Also just picked up a Garmin Nuvi 200W - will have to find a good place for that.

This is turning into a thread jack though.....I'll put those details in another thread....

Quick Reply: Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?