Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DailyDrive,

Try driving on the prairies without a compass and no landmarks to follow. Good luck.

I used to work for a subsidiary of Ford and we had the compass/outside temp function on our trucks and I loved it.

Besides, weather broadcasts are not always readily available by radio.

Go back to Pirate if you don't like it here.

Last edited by RobD; 10-21-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you said the gauge is a single din, but is it just as deep as a radio? I'm not sure but it looks like it could be the size of a "faceplate" which would create many more mounting options. Like above the rear view mirror in a roof console perhaps. Looks good.

Jason
Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Green93
I know you said the gauge is a single din, but is it just as deep as a radio? I'm not sure but it looks like it could be the size of a "faceplate" which would create many more mounting options. Like above the rear view mirror in a roof console perhaps. Looks good.

Jason
I didn't measure it, but it's pretty deep. I'd say 6-7". Check out the Subaru installation instructions & you can see it.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151

Paul
Old 10-20-2008, 10:36 PM

I want one! I need to keep an eye out next time I am in the JY
Old 10-21-2008, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Very nice little unit, good tech link too... that temp sensor looks like an easy to install little part.... wonder how much cash the stealers want for it?...
Can you select degrees C for the temp. or is it F only? the linky sub links to the subie OM only work if you're logged on to their forum...
Old 10-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aviator
Very nice little unit, good tech link too... that temp sensor looks like an easy to install little part.... wonder how much cash the stealers want for it?
If by dealer you mean toyota dealer, then it's going to run you roughly $50.00. I purchased an extra one for my hilux surf FM a few months back. There's a picture of the sensor and the part # on my Field Monitor thread:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...up-pics-94277/
Old 10-21-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Very nice little unit, good tech link too... that temp sensor looks like an easy to install little part.... wonder how much cash the stealers want for it?...
Can you select degrees C for the temp. or is it F only? the linky sub links to the subie OM only work if you're logged on to their forum...

It appears to be Fahrenheit only. Also default on startup is for the Barometer, but hit the mode button & you have the Altimeter.

I can't get the links there either, I haven't logged into that forum.

I was going to try some junkyards. If USA Toyota dealers stock the sensor, it must be used for the auto climate controlled cars.

Last edited by SoCalPaul; 10-21-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:20 AM

As for DailyDrive's comments, I'd agree with the previous comment about movin' on if he doesn't like it, especially given his lack of knowledge about anything regarding the actual stuff people use their rig instrumentation for. Any of us who spend time upcountry can find use for a compass and altimeter. Try spending a few days on BLM land in Southern Utah or fire roads in State Forest land. It's nice to have a correlate to your hand held map. Are they essential -- of course not. Useful - definately. Especially as not all of us have GPS, the radio often doesn't work in the mountains (duh), and it's nice to be able to drive and know your direction without having to pull over. Plus, you've never forgotten a compass? Finally, the comment about the barometer is just nonsense, as these are still in wide use (listen to the weather channel any night). Beyond that, the point of this thread is a "neat mod" that some of us would find useful. Give the maker some credit.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:07 PM

All I've said is that thing is about as useful as an 8-track deck in 2009. You can find early generation GPS units for $10 that are way better for navigation than that thing. Just like you can get a $10 MP3 player that is light years ahead of the Sony walkman from the 80's.

p.s. only a Subaru sensor designed specifically for that unit will work. It's a thermistor.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
All I've said is that thing is about as useful as an 8-track deck in 2009. You can find early generation GPS units for $10 that are way better for navigation than that thing. Just like you can get a $10 MP3 player that is light years ahead of the Sony walkman from the 80's.

p.s. only a Subaru sensor designed specifically for that unit will work. It's a thermistor.

I never said I was trying to do serious navigation with it. I like it better than the useless cubby that Toyota put there.

(Strangely enough, as I reply to this, the thumbnails at the top of the forum index have a picture of the Toyota FMU)

The Gauge Pack is made by the same company that makes the Toyota FMU. Several people on this forum have bought sensors for their FMU from U.S.A. dealers & they were in stock. This leads me to believe that Toyota used the same sensor in other vehicles, probably for the ones with auto-climate control. While I will try to get a Subaru sensor first, there is a good chance that the circuitry was designed by the same engineers & used the same thermistor. Why change it?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SoCalPaul
(Strangely enough, as I reply to this, the thumbnails at the top of the forum index have a picture of the Toyota FMU)
Thanks to yours truly

Several people on this forum have bought sensors for their FMU from U.S.A. dealers & they were in stock. This leads me to believe that Toyota used the same sensor in other vehicles...
Just to be politically correct, my dealer did NOT have this sensor in stock. Nor was the parts guy even able to look up the Field Monitor diagram on his computer to even find the part number for the sensor.

The only reason I was able to get this Hilux FM sensor so easily, was b/c I already had the part number from a fellow YT member. I called up my dealer and gave them the part number. He could not get a picture of it, but said he could in fact order it for me. So he ordered it, but it came direct from Japan (took a little over a week to arrive).

So yes it can be had, but it wasn't something my dealer stocked.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DailyDrive

So now DD is disrespectin' my Walkman... and my 8 track tapes... I've got some cool albums you can't get anymore... LOL
Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Thanks to yours truly

Just to be politically correct, my dealer did NOT have this sensor in stock. Nor was the parts guy even able to look up the Field Monitor diagram on his computer to even find the part number for the sensor.

The only reason I was able to get this Hilux FM sensor so easily, was b/c I already had the part number from a fellow YT member. I called up my dealer and gave them the part number. He could not get a picture of it, but said he could in fact order it for me. So he ordered it, but it came direct from Japan (took a little over a week to arrive).

So yes it can be had, but it wasn't something my dealer stocked.
My mistake, I've been reading so many forums & threads, my eyes are blurry. But I thought someone said their dealer had it in stock. Oh well, Subaru should have it. I still like it, the GPS I want is $300 bucks.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 AM

Nice. I've been looking for an fmu as well; this opens the door to another option.
OT, but I have a question on you're rig socalpaul. In you're sig you list bilstien shocks. Did you lift you're runner? If so, how much and what bilstiens did you use on the rear?
Thanks.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by SchooBaka
Nice. I've been looking for an fmu as well; this opens the door to another option.
OT, but I have a question on you're rig socalpaul. In you're sig you list bilstien shocks. Did you lift you're runner? If so, how much and what bilstiens did you use on the rear?
Thanks.

I have approx 1' lift, I think the Bilsteins are the HD. More info here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...pplers-148116/
Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dangit! now i've hacked up two perfectly good 2nd gen Inclinometers to get one put in the DIN slot under the radio. lots of work and now i find out how easy it is to get something nicer! great job on researching this and sharing with everyone. i've been debating the FMU but they are few and far between, and i like my sunglass holder up there anyway! this may be something for me down the road since i like "useless" gadgets and i do get lost regularly on the way to the grocery store.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 PM

Here are those attachments from ScoobyMods, I just happen to be a member there:

Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 PM

Many thanks to Mathew0404

I figured some of this out, but it's great to have complete instructions

Paul
Old 10-23-2008, 06:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
As one of the few who actually have the Toyota FMU, this is a GR8 substitute. Very creative and I do like it! Not having to do the conversion in your head is a gr8 thing but I have gotten used to reading it as my lady is from New Zealand so I learned to do quick conversions and can relate temp in Celsius to Fahrenheit but not everyone is versed in such conversions. And when you don’t have to try to figure it out in your head makes for easier concentrated driving! Have you seen how much difficulty some drivers out there have in trying find their turn signals?? So finding a unit that would fit rather nicely into our vehicles is a gr8 find indeed!

Well I did solve the conversion dilemma for my truck, I just installed an auto-dimming mirror out of a GMC Tahoe/Chevy Suburban so I didn't have to do the math in my head for the temp. I did a write up for it here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/g...nstall-134747/ I also got the added feature of an auto-dimming mirror which is fantastic for night driving, no flipping down of the mirror!

As for the “need” of a mod we do here and share with the readership, was it a necessity? No. Did I need this mod? No. Did it seem like a fun option that not many here in the US have? Yes. Did I have a heck of good time installing and figuring out how to do it? Yes! Did it make my rig more unique? Yes. Did it provide me with enjoyment? Yes! So not every mod we do to our trucks is either necessary or have any absolute definitive justification to survival. We do them because we WANT to!

So don’t rag on a guy who is more creative then you. Share in his joy! THAT my fellow Tecker is what this forum should be all about, helping us to ENJOY our trucks! And to be honest, if I had known about this before, I might have considered this an install option (heck I still might consider it! How many different compasses and temperature reading do you have?? LOL)

I don’t think that the real issue here is not whether it’s "needed" but on how useful it is to the driver/owner. Like I have said before, we do things to our vehicles because we LIKE to. That’s why they call it "customizing". Never dish someone being inventive, creative or adaptive. It’s all about the trucks! GR8 idea, GR8 find, GR8 install.

Sorry didn’t mean to get on my soapbox. By the way, the only thing I really did not catch was the years that this unit came out of. I do frequent several yards and looking for a few models of Subaru and years can make it easier to find one and a sensor that would work for you as well. Let me know and I might be able to find something this weekend when I am out. The weather here is supposed to be BEAUTIFUL! For the PacNorWest a sunny day is a junk yard scrounge day! SWEET!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:12 AM

Many thanks to Mathew0404

I figured some of this out, but it's great to have complete instructions

Paul
No problem. Glad to help!

Quick Reply: Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?