95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering Rack and Pinion and Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Rack and Pinion and Shocks

Hi,
I have a few questions here,
I have a 98 4x4 extended cab Tacoma trd with 154,600 miles. I recently had the timing belt changed by the dealer and the mechanic mentioned that my rack and pinion was going bad and eventually the truck would be undriveable. He said it is a common thing to replace on these 4x4 Tacomas. Just wondering how many other people have had to replace theirs. I have noticed lately that when I go over bumps in the road the steering becomes rather questionable and the truck does wander a bit so I think it could be this. Also when I jacked up the front I could wiggle the wheel from side to side, but not from top to bottom. Not really sure what this indicates?
My second question is about replacing the front shocks or struts. My truck still has the original Bilstein shocks and coils and I think its time to replace them. I would like to replace it with Bilstein shocks and was wondering where a good place is to buy them, what model, and what price? I was also wondering if I should replace the coils as well and where to get them from? My last question isn't as important but I have been thinking about doing a small lift (1-2in.) and didn't know if all I had to do was buy shocks that give me this lift or if there is much more involved.
Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm a big fan of this site.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 AM

I'd recommend a search here. Lots of good info on both of your questions.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 AM

I was told the same thing about the steering rack by somebody doing work on my truck. Turned out just the inner TRE's were worn out. They were About $50 which is a whole lot cheaper than the whole rack. You should make sure before dropping the few hundred $$'s on the whole rack.

As for replacing the struts.. yeah, you're due. If you're thinking of a small lift, now's the time to do it. X2 on the search, it's a VERY common question with tons of posts for answers.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For your steering rack, what did he mean it's starting to go bad? Is it leaking? Most likely, the steering rack bushings are just starting to wear and the rack is loose. Crawl under the truck, and have somebody turn the steering wheel back and forth, and look to see if the whole rack moves. If the rack is moving excessively (1/4" or more), then you definitely need new bushings. You can't buy all the bushings you need for the replacement from the dealership. They do not sell all of them. But there are aftermarket poly bushing kits you can buy for your truck.

For your suspension lift. It sounds like you need to spend a bit more time reading and searching before you make your purchase. Shocks do nothing for supporting the load of your vehicle. That job is performed by your springs. To start your search, go to SonoranSteel.com and do some reading. He's got full lift kits available here. Scroll down to see what's available for your Tacoma.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM
rtn

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
For your steering rack, what did he mean it's starting to go bad? Is it leaking? Most likely, the steering rack bushings are just starting to wear and the rack is loose. Crawl under the truck, and have somebody turn the steering wheel back and forth, and look to see if the whole rack moves. If the rack is moving excessively (1/4" or more), then you definitely need new bushings. You can't buy all the bushings you need for the replacement from the dealership. They do not sell all of them. But there are aftermarket poly bushing kits you can buy for your truck.
+1 I bought an Energy Suspension Steering Rack bushing kit from Wheeler's and had it installed. The new poly bushings tightened up the steering considerably.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I'm definitely checking into those bushings. I think that will do the trick. How would any one who's done it rate that job on the hardness scale?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:48 PM

Make sure you properly check your actual rack. .
For your rack, put the vehicle on stands, and have someone wiggle the wheel side to side and look for play on the outer tie rod, then remove the boot over the inner tie rod and look for play there, or in the rack itself. You will be able to visually see and feel the play. Keep an eye on it, since racks can go bad to worse very quick, and are not always noticeabley leaking.
If its either of the tie rods..pretty simple job.
If its the rack..Not bad depending on your tools/skills.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The bushings really aren't too hard to replace. The old ones can be stuck in there pretty good though, and I've found large channel lock pliers and the right size socket are perfect to "press" the old bushings out. It also helps to cut them a bit first with a knife. The hardest part to putting the rack back in with the new bushings is getting it in the correct position without damaging the new center bushings. It is easy to "pinch" and tear the bushing in the center mount. I found it helps to spread the center mount apart a bit before trying to install the rack. A ratchet strap was helpful to "pull" the rack back in to align the bolt holes.