Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

!!Speedy's Supercharger Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by okie81
Sorry to interrupt guys but Speedy, I notice some cold temp variances as well but attributed them more to winterized gas I guess. Also, I tuned in 3rd gear initially and my AFR's seem to be pretty consistant through the gears, that's weird you're a little off in 2nd. I had a similar issue with 3rd gear running around 12.5, but it mysteriously disappeared. At first I thought it might have been due to the torque converter locking in and out causing a slight change in RPM. I can't imagine that would be an issue though in 2nd.

Anyways, glad both you guys are out giving your trucks some attention. With your MR2's and Challengers running around, I'm sure the 4runners are feeling deprived of attention.
I think ACE is right about it being less load in 1st and 2nd. Guys over on CT said the same thing...always tune in 3rd.

I personally think the RPMs climb too fast in 2nd for the piggyback to keep up, as a result of less load on the motor.

I've got mine where I'm pretty happy now though. I just had to do a bit of touch up work in the 4500 - 5500 9-10 psi range. Oddly, it was 2.0 fuel at 5,000 RPM and 10psi, but 1.9 fuel at 10.5 psi and 5,000 RPM. It took a few runs for me to figure that out as I expected 10.5 psi to need more fuel...but I think it's because of the granularity of the map only being 500RPM. If it were 250RPM granulatiry I think it'd be better and the tune would be better as well.

For example, at 4500 RPM and 10psi you may need to put in 1.6 for fuel. That makes the AFR 11.7 at 5000 RPM where it goes to the next cell, but 11.2 at 4500 RPM as it enters the cell. Make sense? If it were split in to 4500, 4750, 5000 you could get more granular with the tune.

Last edited by Speedy; 01-31-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
The exact numbers are still not nailed down, i have heard everything from 475hp to 350hp. I expect to see somthing arounf the 425hp that the Camaro has though in the final version seeing as that is what it is competing with.

The shelby versions will have lower compression obiously, i have not seen any numbers from them yet but seeing as they got 540hp from the old 4.6 I have a feeling they will not rest till they better that.
412 has been confirmed on the 2011. I think it's also been confirmed to weigh ~3600 lbs. That'll be potent. The problem with Mustangs are everybody has one. That does make hop up parts easier to come by, but I prefer a little more exclusivity. How many people have supercharged 4Runners and how many Challengers do you see running around?

The 540HP Shelby is a 5.4L.

500RWHP (~600 crank) is the max a street car can really use. My buddy has a 2010 GT500 that he added a Hellion twin turbo to. The turbos feed the factory installed supercharger. He's getting well over 700RWHP and it's just about useless. He took me for a ride in it and at half throttle and 60 miles per hour the tires just go up in smoke.

Last edited by Speedy; 01-31-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Speedy
412 has been confirmed on the 2011. I think it's also been confirmed to weigh ~3600 lbs. That'll be potent. The problem with Mustangs are everybody has one. That does make hop up parts easier to come by, but I prefer a little more exclusivity. How many people have supercharged 4Runners and how many Challengers do you see running around?

The 540HP Shelby is a 5.4L.

500RWHP (~600 crank) is the max a street car can really use. My buddy has a 2010 GT500 that he added a Hellion twin turbo to. The turbos feed the factory installed supercharger. He's getting well over 700RWHP and it's just about useless. He took me for a ride in it and at half throttle and 60 miles per hour the tires just go up in smoke.
True for normal cars 500 is about all you can use, thats why i love MR2's so much. With the engine being in the rear you gets LOADS of traction. The 750rwhp car i mentioned had traction by second gear and even in first if he fethered it.

I also don't care for mustangs much due to everyone having one. Thats why i pretty much only drive older modded cars. Faster, nicer and better then most new cars (not to mention cheaper) and you don't see them everyday.

After i get the MR2 done i plan to build a 2nd gen RX7 i have sitting in the driveway with an LS2 motor to start with then supercharge it later for soem real power.

Then who knows where after that.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:24 PM

After i get the MR2 done i plan to build a 2nd gen RX7 i have sitting in the driveway with an LS2 motor to start with then supercharge it later for soem real power.

Then who knows where after that.
A guy I work with did just that. Pretty mean RX7.

Personally, I like the luxuries the new cars offer, but I'm a techno geek.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

A guy I work with did just that. Pretty mean RX7.

Personally, I like the luxuries the new cars offer, but I'm a techno geek.
I am a geek as well but I don't find new cars offer anything i can't add better for cheaper to an older car.

Well now that this thread has offically gone WAY off topic i will shut up lol. Fun talking with you about fast cars though.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 AM

I am a geek as well but I don't find new cars offer anything i can't add better for cheaper to an older car.

Well now that this thread has offically gone WAY off topic i will shut up lol. Fun talking with you about fast cars though.

Haha, well it's my thread so I guess it's OK to go off topic a bit.

Anyway, I'm a car nut and love cars of all flavors.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Haha, well it's my thread so I guess it's OK to go off topic a bit.

Anyway, I'm a car nut and love cars of all flavors.
LOL, true.

I also love any fast car, as long as it burns LOTS of gas and does it's part in eating the ozone layer and global warming.

If it goes fast i like it, for the most part. The last few years i have got real into the tuning side of older cars pretty heavy. It is fun to have a fast car that everyone knows is fast but it is REALLY fun to have a fast car that looks like an old slow car.

Not to mention it is cheaper to buy and work on these old cars. Like my MR2, i have maybe $9k in it and it should be faster then almost any new car costing up to ~100k, the first cars i would be worried about price wise would be the GTR and ZR1.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 AM

Not to mention it is cheaper to buy and work on these old cars. Like my MR2, i have maybe $9k in it and it should be faster then almost any new car costing up to ~100k, the first cars i would be worried about price wise would be the GTR and ZR1.
Interesting...

My buddies 08' Z06 is smokin' fast. That's the fastest car I've been in. When he accelerates, it feels like my stomach goes to the trunk.

My other friend has a 2010 ZR1. That car is just unbelievable.

All my buddies have Vettes....and gave me crap for buying "a heavy muscle car", but a Vette just wasn't my cup of tea. High power turbo 4cyls are pretty cool, but there's nothing like the torque of a big thumping V8.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Interesting...

My buddies 08' Z06 is smokin' fast. That's the fastest car I've been in. When he accelerates, it feels like my stomach goes to the trunk.

My other friend has a 2010 ZR1. That car is just unbelievable.

All my buddies have Vettes....and gave me crap for buying "a heavy muscle car", but a Vette just wasn't my cup of tea. High power turbo 4cyls are pretty cool, but there's nothing like the torque of a big thumping V8.
C6 Z06's are fast, the LS7 is a force to be reconded with. In a flat out top speed race it would beat me, that is what the car is setup for.

My car on the other hand is setup to be quick not fast. Gear ratios are real close, differnt powerband, lighter car and such. If i was to run tires that would give me the same levels of grip as a Z06's 335's it would be real close but i should just stay ahead till about 120mph then it is anyones guess but that is all i need to beat one down the 1/4 mile.

Honestly the vettes are the best bang for the buck new sports car out. By far the festest car under 100k in the US.

Now a modded Z06 would beat me but then we ARE comparing a $80k+ car to a $10k car afterall. If i was to spend a little more then it would not be a chance either way lol. And thats what i love about modding old cars, you get all this speed and performance for such little money.

The RX7 i plan to build will be setup as a sleeper/track car/daily driver. Plan is to have around 600rwhp+ in a car that weighs under 2500lb and looks bone stock inside and out.

Now if i actually had the money to afford a new car, i might change my mind but since i don't i like modding old cheap cars.

Plus new cars are so heavy, i mean you can't even get a new car under 3000lb now days. Plus new cars don't get good gas milage.

I always find it funny how those hibirds get ~40mph or so, in my MR2 before this last round on mods i was geetting low to mid 30mpg on a regular basis and almost 40mpg on highway trips. All the while having an 11 second 1/4 car wth 325rwhp.

Not many new cars, or many cars at all that can say that.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 AM

Good stuff...keep me posted on how you make out with the RX7.

I've always thought a 78 - 80 FJ40 with either a TRD Supercharged 3.4L or TRD Supercharged 4.0L would be a fun ride.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Good stuff...keep me posted on how you make out with the RX7.

I've always thought a 78 - 80 FJ40 with either a TRD Supercharged 3.4L or TRD Supercharged 4.0L would be a fun ride.
That would be fun, although if you are going that far might as well go all the way and drop a 5.7l tundra motor in there with a supercharger.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM

That would be fun, although if you are going that far might as well go all the way and drop a 5.7l tundra motor in there with a supercharger.
I thought Those Tundra motors were prone to blowing up when the supercharger was installed.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

I thought Those Tundra motors were prone to blowing up when the supercharger was installed.
Depends on how it is done, i think they tend to run rich if just bolted on but with tuning they are ok.

Have not done all that much research on them really, but you know bigger is always better.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Depends on how it is done, i think they tend to run rich if just bolted on but with tuning they are ok.

Have not done all that much research on them really, but you know bigger is always better.
Hehe, true. I'm thinking of the previous generation Tundra, not the new one. TRD doesn't even sell a blower for the old one anymore I don't think.

Wonder why they don't have a supercharger for the newer 4Runners??

Last edited by Speedy; 02-01-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Hehe, true. I'm thinking of the previous generation Tundra, not the new one. TRD doesn't even sell a blower for the old one anymore I don't think.
I think you are right, the old one was riddled with problems. I have heard the new one is a lot better though.

I know i have 2 friends with them and they both love them and have not had any issues.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chaplain
Speedy,
I've got a late start on this thread, but can see by the many pages that I have read that I need to go back through the ones I've missed.

My motor is on the shop floor and here is a list of the goodies in the mail:

> SC rebuilt by PSE Superchargers
> URD: 2.2 pulley, 318cc injectors, plugs, & fuel pump
> Doug Thorley Headers
> AEM Electronics fuel-ignition-controller
> AEM Electronics X-WiFi data monitor

I'm not too proud to take any advice or heads up that will help me with my install/tuning. Also, why the c/c is out is there anything I'm missing?
I'd do the timing belt and water pump while the engine is out. You didn't say how many miles were on your motor, but since it's out, I assume quite a few.

Why did you take the motor out btw?

I'd also recommend the 7th injector with AFR Calibrator HIGHLY over the bigger injectors. There are three reasons for this recommendation....

1. The 7th injector sprays fuel through the supercharger cooling the intake charge. This is important on the TRD supercharger since it is NOT intercooled.

2. The 7th injector is MUCH simpler to tune.

3. The big issue is running at 14.7:1 in boost at part throttle. The AFR calibrator which is integrated into the 7th injector controller solves that problem by richening up the mix in closed loop keeping the motor happy.
Motor has 200k on it. Timing belt, water pump and blower have 100k on it. We found a donor block that had less then 20k on it. The FUNrunner sees a lot of miles/year, 35k last year, and a good deal of them are offroad miles.

1) I was going to go with the URD 7th injector but $$$$$ was running out and I couldn't pass up on the AEM computer deal. Not being certain if the AEM computer could add an injector is why I went with URD's 6 injector package. I told Gadget what I had and asked what he recommended.
2) I'm hopping the AEM setup will be as simple.
3) We are also going to add a small intercooler ST185 out of an alltrack that's lying around here.

btw: I thought the music fit the video.

Last edited by Chaplain; 02-06-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
3) We are also going to add a small intercooler.
Wow, how are you going to do that?

Definitely do the timing belt and water pump at that mileage. Might also look into a SC rebuild.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat

Definitely do the timing belt and water pump at that mileage. Might also look into a SC rebuild.
Yeah, I'd like to put an intercooler on mine!

I've been wondering if a new 5.7L Toyota V8 with TRD Supercharger would fit in my 4Runner?? 500HP would rock!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3) We are also going to add a small intercooler.

Do you mean water/methanol injection? You can't put an intercooler on a roots type blower unless you're making some kind of special custom heat exchanger that sandwiches between the supercharger and the intake...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat

I heard Gadget was working on something like this...?

He did state is s/c is at PSE right now. Im assuming his 20k engine came with a 20k timing belt and h2o pump? maybe not, maybe he just got the block..I just found out Chaplain lives down the street from me so Ill try and check out this build in person!

Quick Reply: !!Speedy's Supercharger Thread!!