Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

return of the headliner rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
return of the headliner rattle

My headliner is rattling and squeaking again with all the flux in temp, and it seems like it will never stop. Much worse then the fall to winter transission.

Every minor bump I hit in the road moves everything enough to make it squeek, rub, and rattle. Very annoying.

I'm thinking of spraying some of that spray foam stuff up into the headliner to see if that might help out. Anyone ever done this?

Bill
Old 04-05-2004, 09:35 PM

mine rattles also when it get hot, when its cold i guess it tightens up and dont make a sound i also have a friggin dash board rattle of somesort every since i smashed my bumber :wtf:
Old 04-05-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hey bob,

is it the entire headliner? or is it certain spots? have someone drive you around on a bumpy road and listen to where it is coming from.

having taken my entire interior apart, there are only a few places that can really cause headliner squeaks. first, the area that the plastic interior contacts the headliner. second, the underside of the headliner and the metal roof. third, any of the contact points where the parts hold the headliner in place.

http://www.4runners.org/articles/sound/headliner.html

i have some headliner squeaking too but only on roads that have little, little bumps. on the freeway, its quieter than a library ('cept the damn mirrors). i'm going to remove my headliner sometime in june or july to see how the sound deadening is holding up. some type of thin, adhesive backed, soft foam or rubber material might be the trick.

bob
Old 04-07-2004, 12:27 PM

My headliner squeaks in the morning but it disappears after it warms up.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

There's no shaking mine, and it's really freaking annoying.

So, here's what I've taken to doing at the moment.

1)Had the wife drive me around while I listened for the squeak. It seemed to becoming from one predominant spot, so I folded some paper and slipped it between the headliner and the plastic interior parts.

2)As I still heard some noise, I've been putting one small section of paper up at a time.

3)At the moment, it's not to bad. It's pretty warm today, however, so I'm interested to see how it sounds tomorrow. Once I've pinpointed it, and hopefully this method is working, then I'm going to find something to put behind those sections where the headliner is touching the paneling.

Hopefully that does it, because it makes me insane. I don't mind it when it happens occasionally, but it was literally a constant thing even while driving along the highway. Albeit my highways aren't probably as smooth and nice as Bob's CA highways.

Bill
Old 04-08-2004, 09:14 AM

do you have a sunroof? i had the same problem, i just sprayed WD40 on sunroof track where body and plastic molding joins...just a shot in the dark, but fixed the problem and hasnt come back for a year...maybe you outta try that?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
do you have a sunroof? i had the same problem, i just sprayed WD40 on sunroof track where body and plastic molding joins...just a shot in the dark, but fixed the problem and hasnt come back for a year...maybe you outta try that?
I do have a sunroof, but it's definitely not coming from there. I thought that for a while, but then I had the wife do the driving and found it was the headliner further back.

Mostly it's the headliner above the pillars. Day two of my cardboard is resulting in few noises, so I think I pinpointed it.

Bill
Old 04-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Update:

I believe that it's the piece of metal that goes between the two sides that the dome light mounts to just behind the sunroof.

Short of taking the headliner out, I'm having a hard time finding away to make this stop.

I've stuffed some sponges up between the headliner and the bar, hoping that I could just permanently have it pushing up somehow, as pushing up on that piece of metal with the dome light out makes it stop.

It's mostly on the passenger side, so I've ruled out the dome light wiring which I've heard makes noises as well.

It's officially not a rattle though, it's a squeek, and with the sunroof trim taken off the headliner, it's even more noticeable.

I will lick this yet...though I don't know how.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't right abouve my damn head.

Bill
Old 07-06-2004, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob,

Heheh...Bill.

I believe Wild Bill has a great pic on his website where he stuck foam between two water lines or something like that which is causing the squeak.

Check out his site, bite the bullet, remove the headliner and take care of this problem!

Bob
Old 07-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks.

I licked this one a while back though.

My rattle was the rear metal bar that runs between the two rails of the sunroof. I fixed it by removing all of the trim around the sunroof, moving both seats forward, putting on a pair of gloves, and hanging from said metal piece.

I bent it, and it no longer makes the noise. It's a little ghetto, but I was able to drive with sanity, until the dash rattle returned.

Bill

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Bob,

Heheh...Bill.

I believe Wild Bill has a great pic on his website where he stuck foam between two water lines or something like that which is causing the squeak.

Check out his site, bite the bullet, remove the headliner and take care of this problem!

Bob
Old 07-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Falling apart

With all the rattles and things that go bump in the night in your 4Runner lately, me thinks it either is haunted or is truly falling apart!

Old 07-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
With all the rattles and things that go bump in the night in your 4Runner lately, me thinks it either is haunted or is truly falling apart!

The way I see it trucks make noise. But...and this is a very big but...they make two different kinds of noises.

Intermittent ones when you hit bumps, etc.

and

Ones that are constantly there regardless of terrain. You could be on the highway, and it could be smooth as glass, and they are still there.

I deal with the first as it's a truck, but the second can be fixed somehow, and they make me want to tear my ears off.

I'm very high strung.

Bill
Old 07-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Bill,
I can relate. In early 2000 I purchased a new Subaru 2.5 RS coupe. The car was an utter joy to drive - power, AWD balance, braking, etc - but the amount of rattles in that thing were insane. After numerous trips to the dealer complaining of various rattles, I started pinpointing them myself.

First was the sunroof. Take the interior cover out, fasten various pieces of foam to the metal sunroof, reinstall cover. Rattle fixed.

Then came the glovebox rattle. Take glovebox apart, find that the little rubber bumpers seemed too small for the job and replaced them with larger ones. Rattle fixed.

Lastly was an annoying buzzing/rattle that came from the rear seat area, over the passenger side tire. I had a neighbor drive me around for 30 minutes while I shoved my hand in numerous nooks and crannies. Took the entire interior out down to bare metal and tried to locate any area where plastics and metal could interfere. Insulated those with foam. Problem remained.

Found myself so bloody pissed that I sold the car after a year and 36,000 miles. Had a super time in the snow though, spinning endless 360s with the great 50/50 manual tranny torque split...

Andreas
Old 07-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Banned

my whole truck makes noise..... even idling it rattles....