Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

removed FIPK today (impressions/venting)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removed FIPK today (impressions/venting)

well I purchased a supercharger almost three weeks ago, and am still waiting to get it installed. I didn't want to put it in until I had the valve body upgraded, well I finally found someone who would do that for me for a resonable price, and when the truck is up on the lift, the mechanic comes back and tells me it doesn't fit. IPT sent the wrong valve body, so I called up John, and he apologized, and said he would send out the right one asap, he also is covering the cost of labor of doing it again. I understand ˟˟˟˟ happens, but he seemed like a nice guy so I couldn't get too upset. So they put my truck back together, and sent me on my way.
In the meantime I removed my FIPK today as well, b/c I am installing the supercharger hopefully by next week. I know everyone here is anti-FIPk, and the dyno results say its not that great, and the filter isn't that good, blah blah blah. But I had it on my truck before I was a member here. It was great, the engine sounded really "peppy", it improved low end acceleration, as well as mid range performance. But as soon as I took it off I noticed a lack of power. I know everyone is thinking I'm missing that seat-of-the-pants feel. But I honestly believe it actually did improve performance.

I know as soon as my wheeling buddies see this post they're going to chime in about the time I hydrolocked it. That filter sucked up soo much water straight into the engine. But thank god its a toyota, and after we dried off the spark plugs, and blew the water out of it, it started right up again. So that is the main drawback to this setup. On that note there were many times I hit deep puddles, at higher speeds with water shooting all around (and over) the truck and the FIPK handled it fine.

As far as fuel economy I filled the tank right up after removng it, so well see how much gas milage improvement I had with the FIPK, and I'll post that later.

Overall I was happy with it, I'll be sorry to see it go,and as long as you don't attempt to drown your truck, it does what it is supposed pretty well. Whether or not I'll be doing the deckplate next, I'm not sure. Just thought I would share and help out anyone who is considering it.

Last edited by sdastg1; 10-10-2003 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never thought it was a bad idea. I think it's definitely a worthwhile mod if you've got the other intake/exhaust mods to compliment the whole system.

I just think it's overpriced, compared to the deckplate mod for the 3.4 or the airbox mod for the 3.0 that probably yield similar results. Just my .02.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:06 AM

i have a k&n fipk. i cant say if its better or not in performance coz i never had the oem intake.

i always heard its better to have the fipk when splashing around in some water. if you have the oem air box... the water can collect in the box and then suck it into the engine. if you have the open cone filter the filter may get a little wet but the water can just drop down the engine compartment.

now if your going to handle deep stream crossings... if you dont create a good bow effect, fipk or oem ... both will suck up water like a straw! thats why you need a snorkel.

any opinions?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Even if then horsepower gains are the same as the deckplate mod at least you have some *bling* when you open the hood and it's better *bling* than putting 24" wheels on your Runner along with some of the other unuseful crap people put on their rides.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by joshik
i always heard its better to have the fipk when splashing around in some water. if you have the oem air box... the water can collect in the box and then suck it into the engine. if you have the open cone filter the filter may get a little wet but the water can just drop down the engine compartment.

now if your going to handle deep stream crossings... if you dont create a good bow effect, fipk or oem ... both will suck up water like a straw! thats why you need a snorkel.

any opinions?
Now if there's nothing for the water to collect into:

The only thing for water to gather into in this is the bottom plastic part of the filter. I've hit water holes at 20 mph and nothing got up in that far. Of course, the holes weren't very deep.

You're right about the snorkel, though.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:20 PM

almost like the deckplate mod with out the plate! LOL
Old 10-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Re: removed FIPK today (impressions/venting)

Originally posted by sdastg1
But as soon as I took it off I noticed a lack of power. I know everyone is thinking I'm missing that seat-of-the-pants feel. But I honestly believe it actually did improve performance.
pull your EFI/ECU fuse and wait a couple hundred miles for your engine to re-set
Old 10-10-2003, 09:39 PM

Re: removed FIPK today (impressions/venting)

Originally posted by sdastg1
In the meantime I removed my FIPK today as well, b/c I am installing the supercharger hopefully by next week.
You might be able to modify the intake tube to let the S/C work with the K&N.

I agree, many people are against the K&N, and I am too. I think the main issue is the price vs. performance gain. I do appreciate the extra power when I'm on the highway, but overall it's not worth it.

I've always wondered about s/c vs. normal with the K&N. I know Gadget has some dyno results, but it just doesn't make sense. The K&N reduces the airflow restriction...how can that reduce the bonus of the S/C? Their are builtin components to regulate airflow, the K&N just makes sure there is no lack of air.

Jim